Shoot it or watch it??????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shoot it or watch it????

• Total voters

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Shoot it if you need to. Anyone feeding pheasants will know squirrels eat lots of feed, but the when the feeds run out they eat the feeders!! :( .
We dont rear pheasants anymore so I leave them be, the pigeon shooters knock into the dreys every now and then.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
twisted firestarter said:
I remember a few years ago on the tv program 'A Cook on the Wild Side' Hugh Fernleigh Whitingstall prepared and cooked a memorable dish- Squirrel with hazelnut sauce :lmao:

He got a lot of grief for that aswell, some intelligent animal rights activist stated that "Anybody that kills a squirrel should be forced to eat it!" Errrm, he did eat it, and he wasn't forced, he did it of his own choosing. So, intelligent animal rights activist, your point is?!! :rolleyes:

M

mob257774

Watch it, shoot it, eat it. Know your enemy! I have never seen a wild red squirrel, and my chances of doing so diminish with each passing year. It is doubtful if any measure we take will completely eradicate the greys, and I cannot envisage the use of biological (disease) control of them, so I am quite happy to shoot and eat them as often as I can. Saying that, one comes into my mothers garden, and gives her great pleasure to watch.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Watch it and leave it for the day I am starving and need a meal...

Yep, I'll go with that Survival Bill. My first night 'home' after 3 in the woods. Set up fairly early Monday morning before the rain set in (it's a tent for me) a short time later boom boom boom ah! first drive of the day...4 drives before lunch, 3 after.. wouldn't mind a penny for every cartridge fired, 3.30pm...mmm! peace at last. About dusk, crack! crack! (obviously fast with the bolt this 'ol kiddie) sounded like a .222 mmm! fox probably... good night foxy hope it was clean and quick.
9 pm, what's that? 4x4 ... bouncy bouncy headlamps boom! boom! boom! boom! just a bit of lamping, I see... Just after dawn Tuesday morning, whack! high velocity..Now I'm looking for my flak jacket me, that's 6mm at least... No, it's ok you can stand up Wicca, it's from the deer seat over in the next forest block just across the ride.
Ah well, back to the noisey 'ol marina I suppose with all those halyards tap tapping in the wind. :lmao: :lmao:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We had a couple of lovely little ones playing around outside, watched them for a while, appreciated them and then they destroyed the bird feeder, Shelly (wife) came in one day and said, "where's your gun?" I said "Ahh, I'll do it" So we went from

This...
sq1.jpg

sq2.jpg

sq3.jpg

To this....
sq4.jpg

So, really i'm a bit of both, if I see a number of them i'm inclined to shoot (but i'll eat them as well as we're in a rural area) or they are damaging property (they also tried to chew through the wheelie bin) trees etc I'll shoot. If there's just one or two and they're not doing any damage they've fun to watch.

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
There are some in Princes street gardens in Edinburgh, they take food out of your hand so could probably catch them in a bag and club them (much to the amusement of tourists) :D

pwb

The estate where I work, in Angus, has a very healthy population of reds. Never seen a grey, we keep an eye out for them and would shoot on sight.
Or as my dad would say " administer a small dose of lead in the right ear".

Pete.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
Nature is exactly that, what happens naturally. What it isn't is a name for trees and habitats and birds and bees and what we know to be.

When we introduced the grey squirrel, things changed and then found an equilibrium again, naturally. It's what nature does best! That this natural occurrance displeases people will only force them away from nature.

To presume we aren't a part of nature and therefore must act outside of nature to (and this is the really perverse part) 'help' nature automatically precludes our exclusion from nature. But that is a paradox, because we are here, a part of nature. Another 'over'-populated creature on this planet. Well, our overpopulation is inevitably our problem, so eventually that will find its natural path too, along with the squirrels. Playing big brother in the attempt to 'vote out' mr grey is ultimately missing the real benefit of being a part of nature. Our total emersion within it.

If you didn't manage to pass safely through those last two convoluted paragraphs, suffice it to say, be a predator if you will but why play god on behalf of nature?

I voted that I watch them, simply because I prefer to eat other food and because I've never needed to hunt (or protect my bird feeder :p ).

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
What i have found interesting in reading this thred is how alot of people want
the grey to be controled or even wiped out.

Then their are coments about how terible it is Englands wolves and bore have been hunted
so there are none left.

The grey was intreduced to England buy people and now people are shooting them
to try and rectifie a mistake .

When will we leave nature alone we always have to interfere.

ecobandit

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
northumberland
I have reds in my garden and see them on a daily basis,greys have been encroaching for years but we just keep trapping and shooting,greys are just as cute to watch but if out with the gun then the only option is a lead implant!,its the same with magpies(handsome and also entertaining) horrid destructfull predators they,ll wait till the eggs hatch then raid the nests on mass,trap and shoot! them as well .however I do not agree with allowing ones dog to chase and kill even if it was a whippet or whatever,the dog should be under controlat all times!

Nov 22, 2008
Kill it, plain and simple, keep your PC retoric, it's vermin, kill it,

kill as many as you can & make a coat or a stew,

& for me all you pro lifers can go suck a strawberry or if your the sour faced sods chew a goosegog ;)

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Who's that trip trapping on my bridge?
Myself ,If I'm just out walking I'll watch them for hours.
If I'm out foraging well, they do taste great and theres no stigma attatched to killing something to eat.
It's all down to what i'm doing at the time,if I'm out with a rifle then it's because I'm after food If I dont have the rifle then its because im just enjoying nature.

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
no contest, shoot them.
reds are getting scarcer and scarcer round me (lancs)

personally i use my dog, not as effective but she likes it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE