Shoot it or watch it??????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shoot it or watch it????

• Total voters

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Does the Grey Squirrel cause more harm than good. It has ousted the Red and shredds the bark off trees, but it also plants a lot of trees, and is fun to watch, so would you rather shoot it or do you get more pleasure watching it................Jon

Last edited:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Hmmm!!!

Hard one this one....

bowarrow.gif

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
shoot it, then eat it.
but in truth I had a red one in the scope the other day and didnt shoot.
He and his brother where playing so fine in the sun than I felt bad to shoot one away so I left it as that and moved happily on.

cheers
Abbe

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
It's our fault it it was brought into UK in the first place like so many introduced species so we have to take the consequences. I really don't like the idea of cullling things just because we have made stupid mistakes. (Same with over-hunting and over-fishing). I know it is necessary in some instances, but I just enjoy all forms of wildlife and would never kill except if I needed food. I do my hunting practice by going on archery field shoots (ok they don't move - but we can get the idea!)

What would anyone gain by shooting them? They're true survivalists being so resourceful and ingenious, so you wouldn't stop the tree damage. It is the survival of the fittest and the Reds are still about (albeit in localised areas) so why interfere any more?

I've voted for watching. I've learned so much just by watching them in the garden. That's my 2 cents and at least I had 100% of the vote (being the first to vote :eek: )

Pablo

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
shoot it and eat it. they look good but reds look better

went out with a girl from inverness who thought greys were the rare ones in 25 years she had never seen a grey IMO thats the way it should be

very good thread man earns rep point

James

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
As it's a non indigenous species I would say shoot it but don't waste it, eat it.

Got a mate who gets the reds in his parents (Huge) garden and I would hate to see them ousted by greys.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I voted watch it - they are suicidal enough in front of my bike without me shooting them too. That and the fact that they aren't in direct competition with the Red squirrel, it's just that the red's habitat has been replaced in our changing landscape, and a bunch of other things I can't remember :)

daveymonkey

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2005
The hospital which i work at have them in the grounds and watching them when your walking across the car park on a miserable morning at 7 does cheer you up, they maybe rats with bushy tails but just for the above reasons i say save them! Anyone read this months Wildlife magazine about the escaped chipmunks?

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
I'm definitely a watcher, I don't think I'd kill any living thing unless I really had to, if I was lost etc... which puts it into the category of survival for me. I'm still interested in trapping and other means of killing animals, just incase I was in a situation where I would have to use it. Sure the grey squirrels are mean to the red ones, but the red ones have conservation sites here in the UK, such as centre parks.

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
shoot the :AR15firingreys! not that it makes any difference as even intensive shooting can only achieve localised control, the same goes for cage trapping and poisoning although those methods are more efficient at controlling numbers.

They do compete directly with Reds in deciduous woodlands which would have been part of the natural habitat of Reds before the greys were introduced. It is often forgotten that good ol squirrel nutkin was a red.:red:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
they are currently trying to devise a way to put the grey squirrel on 'the pill' i hope they can as its a more humane way of doing it, and probably more effective too!

I have enjoyed watching them, they are certainly adapt acrobats and quite amazing but for me it has to be a 'shoot it vote' as i would much rather see the reds in the woods.. somthing i have never seen.

it has also been found that the re-introduction of some animals has been benificial to other parts of the echosystems which they are part of, obviously if the red was once again to become dominant the problems caused by the greys would be minimised but there may be other, as yet un-foreseen benifits to our damaged countryside.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE