Shoguns Tom Brown Tracker 2 Knife Review...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
Right where do i start i got a Tom brown tracker 2 and i thought i would take it out today too try it out...the Tom Brown
Tracker 2 is Utter sh$te..these should not be classed as a knife or tool as it dosent do anything a knife can...lol..IMO its totally usless..i dont think its because its blunt as a badgers tadger..pmsl...i took along a back up knife to test beside the tom brown tracker and to make it fair test i also used a bunt blade on it...it out peformed the tom brown tracker in every way...lol...here are the pics...atb shogun p.s i no this thread might come across as i joke but i have to laugh about it..because if i dont i will end up putting the pc though the living room window..ATB Shogun

Tom brown Tracker 2
2-2.jpg

stanley blade
stanleyknife.jpg

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
In all seriousness, I can't recall ever reading a favorable review of them! You could always have a play with it, change the primary grind and lose the crap serrations from the spine...or keep it as a heavy trowel!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Great review. :)

"...This is a knife Dave canterbury recommends..."

He did, but doesn't talk too much about that now, as his audience grew he moved on to Moras and all those vids of him hacking away at defencless saplings with the tracker were removed from the internets.

:)

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
You see, all three knives are the same....

Weird angles, lumps and bumps on both top and bottom edges, synthetic handles all set at bendy angles - remarkable similarities!

Ogri the trog

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Great review!
It kind of confirms what I always thought of those knives.....
I have not tried one myself - and dont think I will bother :D

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I would like to have a go with one then have one "sorted out" re the grinds etc.. The concept is good, & there's a vid of a guy over on BCUSA doing some good stuff with one.

Rob

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
USA........yay

[No Offence to our American cousins, but marketing useless crap winds me up.]

Last edited:

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i don't get these sort of knives. its as if they deliberately design them to be as awkward and inefficient as posable.
i think its more of a case of style :)yuck:) over function.

pete

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
your right its more style than function..after getting this and i am a noob when it comes to knifes IMO this is a movie knife
show peice for people who watched the movie and wants the knife..if you are into knifes and use them a lot you no that
this knife is no good to work with...i got this knife unused but it isnt that sharp to b honest...Very dissapointed i have been searching for this knife all day and mostly every thread say its garbage

Last edited:

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
It's OK for you guys to snigger .. I once described these abominations as good for 3 things only ... A mud-weight anchor for a boat, a trowel, or a pry-bar (IIRC) .....

.... and now it looks as if I might be getting the job of sharpening this one :lol:

I can sharpen them OK. I just can't make them into anything useful :lol: Well, not without a severe application of 36 grit belt and a LOT of time, resulting in a completely new shape, new bevels, new handle etc etc. You can make a Mercedes out of a Polski-Fiat ... if you change enough parts :lol: (but it's easier to simply make a Merc without starting with a Polski-Fiat at all ;) )

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
The TBT.
Well.
I've always said it was a solution looking for a problem.
I think the 2 loses out as it doesn't have the weight of its big brother.
I've read about Tom Brown's design philosophy when he came up with it, and I see what he was trying to do, but really, anything the tracker can do you can do with a Mora, and the mora can do more things better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE