Shoguns Tom Brown Tracker 2 Knife Review...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I have to say I completely agree on the fitness of this knife, it sucks!! You are being too kind in even calling this thing a knife, more like a boat anchor. I have never handled anything more useless!
I went to a Bushcraft, week long course last year and one of the students had one of these along with a custom ($300) sheath. He was determined to use it for all the tasks and to his credit he managed. He just worked 10 times harder than anyone else to make a spoon, bowl, notch trap sticks and make bow drill sets. The director of the course brought out his combo waterstone soaked in a container of water and showed us how to sharpen and left it out for us to touch up our blades. I watched this poor guy try to actually sharpen this hunk of scrapmetal. Myself, I can sharpen a knife, been a passion since I was a Boy Scout decades ago. I tried to sharpen it for him with no results, it simply could not take an edge with the tools at hand. Metal seemed way too hard. He made it through the course and was persistant. I guess if I paid $700 for a crap knife and sheath, I'd be determined too.
Bottom line, it should be returned to the maker for a refund, unless you need a boat anchor. Cheers!

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
That is one fugly knife

Cheers for the giggle Shogun, hope it didn't hit the wallet too hard

Yes this hit the wallet big time...so i am not to happy about it..as i was told by the guy i got it from said he has had both versions of these knifes and the t 2 was the better for working with utter BULL ****...i got bumped plain and simple...the guy new this was going to be my first knife and still traded and didnt say its not usable he must have new this he deals in knifes...not cool

Ropeman

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
Aberdeen
Why not flog it? I know they are mince but some people seem to like them and pay for them.

You could get it sold and commission a decent custom for the money rather than trying to make a silk purse out of this sow's ear (you won't manage, by the way, it will be a crap knife until you get enough material away that it turns into a Mora).

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Yes this hit the wallet big time...so i am not to happy about it..as i was told by the guy i got it from said he has had both versions of these knifes and the t 2 was the better for working with utter BULL ****...i got bumped plain and simple...the guy new this was going to be my first knife and still traded and didnt say its not usable he must have new this he deals in knifes...not cool

Sorry you got the ream. Believe it or not, there are people that want one of these despite our opinion. So, hopefully you can offload this to someone that may be content with it and recover some of your losses.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I hate to go against the grain on this one but what exactly did you do during this "review"?

All I see is a rant about a dull knife.

I understand that the knife is more than unpopular and probably deservedly so, but some details of its failings would be interesting.

Andy

Ropeman

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
Aberdeen

How was it your first knife though?

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74847&p=911237

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
The one I handled was the Tracker, not the smaller Tracker 2 and it would baton nicely and chop fairly well, although hopelessly dull. There was almost no way to do much else with it, not safely anyway. It was all a matter of trial and error as to how to even whittle a spoon with the odd blade edges. The handle is as uncomfortable as they can get and would cause pain if used continiously.
Someone else's mileage may vary but for me it was nothing I would ever consider carrying, anywhere, anytime. It was also very, very heavy, about 3 times the weight of a Woodie clone/sheath.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You have to wonder why it is reported constantly on the www, that people attending Tom Browns schools only ever see him and the instructors wearing Moras. Not a Tracker in sight.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K

hi Ropeman the knife you have posted up hasnt been used buy me it sits on my computer desk thats why its up for trade
why is it up for trade the handle is small in my hands thats all...and the times i have been out i have used an other knife
so i dont see your point to me my first knife is one that i use...not for the drawer...i dont own a usable knife

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
hi Ropeman the knife you have posted up hasnt been used buy me it sits on my computer desk thats why its up for trade
why is it up for trade the handle is small in my hands thats all...and the times i have been out i have used an other knife
so i dont see your point to me my first knife is one that i use...not for the drawer...i dont own a usable knife

Out of interest what knife did you use?

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
right i have contacted the guy i traded with i offered him the 22pounds postage to get my stuff back even though the knife he traded was advertised as brand new and the one i have dosent...he is not willing to post on the bags recorded delivery
and i will post on the knife in the condition he sent it..i was trustfull to post my stuff to him when i didnt no him..but he is not willing to post to me even if i pay posrtage and i have sent him pics of the knife... i dont want to send the knife first as he has said if he's not happy he is keeping both..here is his pm...allan

Re: hello
I tell you what - post the knife back, and enclose the cost of posting your bags back (if no money enclosed then I'll keep both) - and If it arrives in the same condition as I sent it out then I'll post the bags back. If it shows any sign of being "USED" you'll get the knife back FOC

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
hi knifefan i can post you the 22pounds to post back the bags and i will send knife 1st class RMRD as soon as they arrive i cant do any better than that i even gave you my house number to discuss this but you said no...atb Allan

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
This seems to have developed into more than a review. What exactly is going on here, seems slightly dodgy. If you traded for a knife that was new, it is well out of order to use it, then decide you don't like it and request a reverse trade. It's not like there aren't any reviews on the Tracker out there. You should have looked about before agreeing a trade. And now it is going all personal. Bang out of order.

Last edited:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
If there is a dispute over a trade, take it to PM, don't publish it on the forum please.
As to the knife, Personally, before handing over goods/cash on something of that value I would have done some research.
That you didn't is no-ones fault but your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE