Shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

j111

Nov 18, 2011
Cambridge
Hi guys,

I had a go at making a 'survival shelter' on Saturday with the last 4 hours of daylight. Here's the result (photos taken next morning):

207675_10151655270604988_259740540_n.jpg

165091_10151655270769988_874519597_n.jpg

184484_10151655270879988_47324194_n.jpg

I ran out of time to make a heat reflector and finish the bed before dark.

Any tips/suggestions for how to improve it?

I was easily warm enough with the fire going with no sleeping bag or blanket, but couldn't sleep as the 'bed' was too uncomfortable and too many drips landing on me ( it was built in the rain so the thatch was soaking), but would have been alright in a 'survival situation' for the night. What could be used to make a bed when it's actually raining? All the leaves and stuff in the wood was soaked so would have been no good..

Cheers

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks good J111, I thnk maybe a shallower roof angle might of helped shed the rain a little (or rather given you more room to get out of it). As for the bed, you could cover it with pine browse or bracken. I hear what your saying about the wet vegetation but I thinks its more a case of insulation and a little comfort that dryness :D

Good job though.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nicely done

One option for bedding is to stuff bin liners with the vegetation, not sure how much insulation you'd actually get if it's sodden though. Piles of thinner branches would have probably helped make it more comfortable.

j111

Nov 18, 2011
Cambridge
Looks good J111, I thnk maybe a shallower roof angle might of helped shed the rain a little (or rather given you more room to get out of it). As for the bed, you could cover it with pine browse or bracken. I hear what your saying about the wet vegetation but I thinks its more a case of insulation and a little comfort that dryness :D

Good job though.

Yes I think it's a little steep too. Will be harder to pile more leaves on top I think.

Reckon a bracken bed would be a tick fest! Pine or spruce would be great but none of that around here unfortunately.

Cheers.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
looks great bud. :) re the bed, maybe much thinner branches supported on thicker logs head/foot end to give it a bit of spring? maybe an armload of wet whatever around the fire would be soon dry enough to lie on. :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A lot of good points there!
But the main thing is - you stayed, you are still smiling, you are wanting to learn - and the shelter did the job intended ... you survived! :)

j111

Nov 18, 2011
Cambridge
A lot of good points there!
But the main thing is - you stayed, you are still smiling, you are wanting to learn - and the shelter did the job intended ... you survived! :)

Actually I should come clean about this - I couldn't sleep as was too uncomfortable with no bedding, so bailed and went home for a beer and bed!

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
the shelter looks good dude, just 2 things for&nbsp;reference&nbsp;as above the angle is to sharp, drop it down a bit chap, that way, tip 2, you will get more leaf litter on, about 1 meter thick will stop rain... oh and some nice silverburch twigs piled about 1-2 foot thick will make a great bed...:)<br><br>good luck for the next 1...;)<br><br>chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE