Shaving with a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
OK... I can sharpen my Moras enough to shave hair off my arm... and I have the bald patches to prove it! But I can't seem to shave my face with it. Any idea why? I had a beard as of yesterday because of it :rolleyes: Do I just need to sharpen it more or finish the edge better?

Cheers!

Reactions: bloodline

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
I don't have any specific info about shaving with a Mora, but aren't cut-throat razors hollow ground? That would give the cutting edge a more acute angle than you could easily get on a Mora (assuming it's scandi profiled).

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
It's more likely to do with the shaving techniquie you're using....do you regularly use a cut-throat razor to shave with?

Also, the blade is thicker than a razor so this might effect it and also that the tool itself is heavier and so more unwealdy than a razor. I've managed to shave little bits of my face with a knife (after watching Croc Dundee and wanting to see if it'd work) and I have to say I've never had such a stinging shaving rash! lol

Cheers,

Bam. :)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
led said:
I don't have any specific info about shaving with a Mora, but aren't cut-throat razors hollow ground? That would give the cutting edge a more acute angle than you could easily get on a Mora (assuming it's scandi profiled).

Yer, that's true....hadn't thought of that :) So add that to the points I made and I think you have your answer mate :D

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
lol thanks folks!
I have to agree with the stingin bit, even though I didnt get much hair off my face it stung pretty bad...
And nah, I don't use a cutthroat, though I'd like to, just because I'm sick of havin to buy more disposables and electric razors require electricity :rolleyes:

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
I tried shaving with a knife once in my youth when I was a mean, bad, biker. It hurt and frightened the more respectable campers who thought I was trying to cut my own throat. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Ive not risked it since :D

You can shave with a knife - the Razor Edge guy even had one of his daughters shave off his beard with a double bit axe in front of an audience.
That being said it takes a lot of prep to shave with a straight razor let alone a knife. The edge has to be very straight or continuous curved and polished. Properly used a straight razor is used with a diagonal stroke - and ANY uneveness of edge will get you. You also have to hold the skin taut or again you'll get sliced or nicked.
If that doesn't discourage start with the flatter spots of cheeks and leave the throat and chin until after a bit of experience!

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
It can be done, yes because as Jimbo said, the Razor's Edge dude was in Guiness Book of Records for doing so.

Another factor worth looking into is that generally, a man's facial hair follicle is (supposed to be) stronger than a piece of steel would be if it were the same diameter. Who knows if it's true but it's interesting when facts like that come up.

Adam

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
I've shaved other guys with a knife - and have had other people shave me. It is not easy to shave yourself with a knife. Take a good lather, and heat, to do well.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
The hair on your arm is much easier to cut than the pretty tough facial hair. Even getting a straight razor to do a decent shave is a bit of an art form - the blade needs to be super-sharp, and then the prep needs to be right (lots of hot water beforehand, decent lather, and then the right technique).

Even if you could get the knife right, the chances are that the edge will be too sharp (i.e. weak) for normal usage anyhow.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Draven said:
But I can't seem to shave my face with it. Any idea why?
Cheers!

Let me first apologise ,in advance, for sounding like a right pr.t, and a squelcher, but, Draven, I can,t really understand just why you need to be doing this. :confused:

I can only suppose that its some kind of test, but, of what? alternative uses for Bushcraft tools?, or, do you suppose there just may be Bushcrafting circumstances when you need a shave that much.

They aint really made for it, you know, thats why we have Bics and I am fairly sure that a lot of folk will have trouble enough with them!

Ga,an canny man!

Ceeg

Simca

Nov 6, 2004
Hungary
www.survival.hu
I've shaved with my Fallkniven F1 twice. First to try if it's at all possible, and another time just for fun. :) It wasn't _that_ bad, but I use 2000 grit polishing paper on a mousepad for convex sharpening, so the edge is nicely polished. The words about the shaving rash are true though :)

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Let me first apologise ,in advance, for sounding like a right pr.t, and a squelcher, but, Draven, I can,t really understand just why you need to be doing this.

I can only suppose that its some kind of test, but, of what? alternative uses for Bushcraft tools?, or, do you suppose there just may be Bushcrafting circumstances when you need a shave that much.

They aint really made for it, you know, thats why we have Bics and I am fairly sure that a lot of folk will have trouble enough with them!

lol I understand exactly what you're saying, the only reason that I was wondering was because when I was on Skye I didn't feel like taking a bus to the co-op just to buy some razors and then waiting three hours for the next bus home, so I tried shaving with my knife :) Although it didn't work, so I just grew a beard. Ach well! Although the bald patches on my arm were just to see how sharp I could get it with a cheap stone :rolleyes:

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Draven said:
lol I understand exactly what you're saying, the only reason that I was wondering was because when I was on Skye I didn't feel like taking a bus to the co-op just to buy some razors and then waiting three hours for the next bus home, so I tried shaving with my knife :) Although it didn't work, so I just grew a beard. Ach well! Although the bald patches on my arm were just to see how sharp I could get it with a cheap stone :rolleyes:

Heh heh! Also, surely isn't this the ultimate test of your knife sharpness / knife skills? Shaving your own face?!!?

As a sideline, have you tried a double edged razor (ie an old razor blade shaver)? They're fantastically cheap, outlast single edged blades and cause less irritation. I know that this is OT but thought you might like to have a gander....

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
As a sideline, have you tried a double edged razor (ie an old razor blade shaver)?

I haven't but I'd like to. I've heard that in a pinch you can sharpen/finish them by running them around the inside of a glass, anyone know if that's true? :rolleyes:

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Im pretty sure the game is all in the edge preparation. I remember as a kid (im 52) in the barbers (only poofs had hairderssers) watching the barber shave my dad etc. You never saw a stone or anything like it, just a fat leather strop wellcoated with jewellers rouge. He would strop it EVERY time he picked it up, even if only to scrape a blokes neck a few times. The blades were hollow ground towards the back of the blade (ie the spine) but tapered almost to a parallel along the edge so they were really quite thin in cross section. This meant that they could keep a fine edge for ages with only honing on the strop (thats a LOT of honing). They were shaving men every day and the edges just never went dull.
So I guess that when we boast that our knives are 'Razor Sharp' we really should stop and ask ourselves if they REALLY are.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Draven,

I use an old Gillette double edge, a badger hair brush a cake of mug soap. I get the closest, comfortable, most satisfying shaves that I've ever had in my life. Really rough, thick facial hair runs in my family so when I first started to shave I tried using cartridge razors, Sensor Excel's, Mach III's etc etc. Unfortunately, after a shave my face would end up looking like raw hamburger with stubble on it. I don't remember what started me on using a DE, but I do remember finding a NIB gold plated Gillette super speed from the late 1940's in one of Nanaimo's local antique stores.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to get at is that if you take the time to learn how to properly use a DE (it calls for a completely different technique) then you'll be rewarded with the best shaves of your life. People look at me like I'm crazy and say things like "Adam, why the h#ll are you using that thing? You're 21, join the twenty first century!". I ignore them because I know better.

Adam

garbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2006
uk
addyb said:
So...do you guys do this for fun when you're bored or what? :p

hehehehe

Adam

It may not be the ultimate sharpness test, but if you will let someone give you a shave with a knife that sharp, it is the ultimate test of ,
a trust
b courage
c friendship

I would be very selective who i let near my face with a sharp knife :lmao: :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE