Shaving with a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
After reading some of our sporadic shaving threads on this board I switched to using a safety razor (one with double edged razor blade in it) and a shaving brush.
I now spend about 25p a month on blades, soap etc. when averaged out. A pack of super mega vibro multi swivel moistureising tapdancing blades costs nearly £10 and probably lasts a couple of months. Old school shaving :You_Rock_

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
a cut throat razor has a deep hollow grind and is stropped with the spine on the leather so has an insanely acute edge angle. Also I seem to think the steel is fairly soft so that you can pull the burr inline so you have a wire edge anyway. I wouldn't want a knife to be sharpened like that.

are people talking about using things like this or have I got confused?
razorS.jpg

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Yes Andy, that's essentially what a DE is. Mind you, the one you've got pictured is a much older design. I've got one exactly like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...20010728249&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1 but it's gold plated. (Maybe that one is too, and my eyes are playing tricks on me)

Anyway, I'm not quite sure how this thread went from shaving with a fixed blade to proudly showing off our ancient razors, but since I'm here I'll reiterate: DE blades are cheaper, and the resulting shave is closer, smoother, and more comfortable than any of the new "tap dancing" cartridge razors on the market. (Thanks, Sam)

Cheers,

Adam

PS: You're right Garbo, and I'm sorry if I came across rude. I don't know a single person that I trust enough to shave me with a fixed blade. So my hat is off to you!

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Annoyingly, I haven't been able to shave with my straight razor for some months now as we don't have a decent mirror in the bathroom yet (and I'm not going to risk life and limb by guessing!). So I'm back to my Gilette Mach 3, which works, but isn't anywhere near as satisfying.

But all this talk is tempting me to try a DE. Especially if I can get ones from the US really cheaply due to the current exchange rate.

S

SwampthingHome

Personally, I wouldn't shave with a knife or straight razor, due to the presence of a turbocharged three-year-old around the house / camp.
Check out http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/3541/Rolls_Page.htm
for real self sufficiency - these things have been around for ages- I personally used one for about six years and only stopped when I kept nicking an awkward mole under my chin. Enjoy

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Mmm...yes. The Rolls Razor came from times of yore and is a hybrid between a double edge and a straight razor. It lives in a bit of a grey area, not really part of each category.

Adam

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i've been using a straight (cutthroat) razor after another rise in the price of cartridges.
much closer shave. never going back.
i got a razor that accepts disposable blades (the double edge blades snapped in half)
it cost me about £5 with 10 (which makes 20) blades.
turbo-jet fighter vibro-blades? you can keep them.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
hmm... I might just buy one of the double-edged razors at boots to try it out :rolleyes:

In the defence of modern razors, with the number of blades most of them have and the number they'll most likely soon have, you'll soon be able to stick them together and have a slightly oversized cut-throat :rolleyes:

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
I'll be flat out honest. Multi bladed cartridge razors are a capitalist marketing ploy by huge corporations with aspirations of sucking every last hard earned dollar (pound) out of our thin pockets.

Using with a DE requires that you actually learn to wet shave. Forget what you saw your father or your brother do with a can of cheap-o foam and a crud encrusted Mach 3. DE's are from a time when men actually enjoyed the act of shaving. (Just ask John Wayne or Gregory Peck if you don't believe me). :p

My Superspeed was made in 1949 and I have a feeling it'll last me until I'm an old, old man. Although I'm sure that a straight razor would do even better I don't really trust myself with one.

I know that no-one who uses a DE or a straight razor is going to disagree with what I just said, but for those of you who are still a bit skeptical go try one out and see for yourself.

Cheers,

Adam

PS: If anyone wants to learn or read about these old grooming products, have a look at this. And don't ask me how I found it.

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
I normally have a full beard, but for the last year, a goatee...which I shaved off two weeks ago...
I make and use my own straight razors, using 440F steel, micarta scales.
It is the closest shave you can get... :)

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I'll be flat out honest. Multi bladed cartridge razors are a capitalist marketing ploy by huge corporations with aspirations of sucking every last hard earned dollar (pound) out of our thin pockets.

I agree 100% :) I mean c'mon, how many blades do you really need? I was appalled when I saw a three bladed razor, now they're on four... :eek:

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
6 if you include the one on the back.

I'm trying out DE shaving, and enjoying it so far. The shave is definitely closer than the Mach 3, and it's kinda cool using the cute ancienct techology. I certainly won't be buying a Fusion, especially when you look at the cost of the blades. Ouch!

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Having read this thread about a week ago I thought I had pretty well dismissed it from my mind. No chance. A few days ago I stood looking at myself after 3 days without a shave and decided to see if my knives were as sharp as I always reckon them to be. The first fixed blade (easier to clean afterwards than a folder) to hand was my Cold Steel Master Hunter in Carbon V. I lathered up and took the knife from it's sheath. No special preparation or extra stropping of the knife.
I managed to have a full shave with the thing and no razor rash afterwards either!

It does have to be said that it was harder work than my usual method (a Gillette 3 blade job) and that I did begin shaving with a cut-throat which I used for the first couple of years of needing to shave so perhaps my technique was a little better than some of you guys who have tried with a knife having never used a cut-throat. To be honest I was surprised at how well the knife worked, but I still don't think I'll be using the method all that often because I'm generally too lazy (and nowhere near awake enough in the mornings) to take the extra care it needs.

I'm not so sure that most people with a MH around should try to emulate that. The edge curvature is sure going to show why skin is held taught in straight razor shaving.. Even the very slightly curved edge of the classic British straight razor needs to be treated with some caution until a person gets used to it.
A quick look through straight razors on ebay will show that despite the name, many old British straight razors have a slight curve, and the curve is on the spine too for proper honing/stropping, so it's not a wear thing. Other than for the neat coffin shaped boxes, these don't get much respect these days, but used carefully, they're remarkably effective.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE