sharpening in the Field

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
My DC4 tends to stay at home, in the field I carry a small Smith's Arkansas stone.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Used to use a DC4 but now one of Shep's excellent waterstone kits Link

Superbly made and put together, a pleasure to use and gets a perfect edge on any blade I've tried it on.

You can probably tell I like it a lot :D

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I don't bother taking any field sharpening device with me when I'm out and about. I never find I need to shaprne my knife if I'm only using it for a week or so ;) Normally my everyday knife only gets sharpened when I'm showing somebody how ot do it. My carving knives get touched up more regularly and that is a bit of wood with wet n dry on one side and leather on the other :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
DC4 here too. :)

Usually used for touching up an edge if carving a lot, also handy incase you put a little ding in an axe on the first day out :eek:. 5 minutes on the ding straight away will save a lot of time and steel later on..

Last edited:

Boreas

Jul 3, 2009
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
All I ever bring with me is small strop. A small 2" by about 5 " piece of wood with leather glued on both sides and some green and black sharpening compound (bark river). After I use the knife(s) for a while or at the end of a day I'll give them a strop. To be honest I barely ever end up having to use the black (courser grit) compound, it's usually a few passes on the green. My edge always stays razor sharp and tidy. Now most of my knives are convex ground, keep that in mind.

As an aside, has anyone used white sharpening compound or even jewelers rouge? I'm thinking I might try them out.

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
For my convex edges I have the Bark River compound as well....I just use the green....never needed the black....I cut a square of hide and coated one side with the green compound...the square fits in an old tin of small cigars...cafe cremes...and simply take it out and use the tin as a backer and I have lashing ties already on the leather so can strap it to my thigh for a fixed position when sitting and touch up the edges at the end of the day.

I also carry an Eze Lap model M diamond steel...it's the brass one where the steel unscrews and fit's into it...this is great for steeling out "burrs" if I hit a small stone cutting foilage or whatever....works good on an axe as well for the same thing....
and rather than carry my Sharpmaker....I got a pipe cleaner and folded it in an "L" shape modelled on the angle for the 40 degree inclusive rod position....when unfolded and straightened into the L shape it acts as a good guide for the right position to use the steel like a Sharpmaker to lightly touch up a micro bevel on my Scandi bushcrafters. It does'nt take long to carve a simple set up for the steel so it is anchored like a Sharpmaker...

This stuff is easy to put in the pocket or keep in a pouch on my belt.

Usually I have in my Bergan the Gransfors round double sided stone for emergencies should something weird happen and I needed to restore an edge....never needed it so far but it is there just in case.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE