Share your Library

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
A friend on another completely unrelated forum found a site yesterday called Library Thing that lets you catalogue your books online. It sounded like a bit of fun so I started to put a few of my books on there but neither of us could think of a useful purpose for it.

Then it occured to me it might be really useful here. It would not only be interesting to see what other Bushcrafters had in their own libraries but might turn up some great discoveries that could be of use to the rest of us. Some generally undiscovered gems maybe?

I've only entered a few of mine so far but so you can get an idea here is My Library so far.

:theyareon

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Looks interesting, Sheryl.

I can see how it would be interesting for me to look up in there a book that I have recently read and enjoyed, to see who else has a copy and what those people also read, so as to get ideas for other books to seek out.

However, and call me an old cynic if you must, but all the little thumbnail images of books point to Amazon.com, which makes me wonder if there is perhaps a little bit of shekel-hunting going on here...

One last thing, why do you list authors by forename/familyname except for Yevgeny Zamyatin (who is listed as Zamyatin Yeugeny)?

K.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
The site could easily be a cynical ploy to encourage Amazon sales but if that is the case you can always get any book you may like the look of elsewhere and foil their cunning plan ;)

I didn't enter the details of the books myself - although you can if you want to - I just entered the title in the search function and clicked the right one as it appeared on the results list. I couldn't say why Yevgeny Zamyatin appears with surname first when all the others don't I'm afraid.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
If you really want to share your books investigate Bookcrossing.com - release a book into the wild (leave it on a bench somewhere) with a bookcrossing bookplate in it and people who find it can log onto the website to indicate they read it and what they thought of the item. When they've finished, they are encouraged to leave the copy somewhere else for a new person to find and read.

I don't use it myself as I'm far to selfish to let anyone else have one of my books! :eek:

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I've started using software called Alexandria to index all my books (it does ISBN lookups from sites like Amazon so all you need to enter is the ISBN number, or the barcode if you can steal a barcode scanner from your work :D )

I've got a lot of books on herbs, wild plants, brewing etc - PM me if you want to see the list...

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
people could create a thread on here where they can list their collection of bushcraft related books, then others can look though their lists and look up any titles that sound intresting

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE