Setting up a parachute as a group shelter ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Just purchased one from the fine people at Endicotts and was wondering if anybody has any tips or hints in putting one up as a group shelter ? ( apart from the obvious of throw a rope over a tall and strong enough branch and hoist )

Cheers

Paul

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
only seen one done before, that was at middlewood, MadDave and the chaps threw a line up over a tall limb of one tree, thread it through the top of the chute then threw the line up to another tall tree and hoisted it up. then use lines running off it to stabilise. it worked really well and the fire we had under it made it all bellow up it was ace :)

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
We tried folding ours in half and had a sort of moth wing formation, worked really well.

DSC_0286.jpg

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Main chute at the Moot was put up on a "ridge line" between 2 trees. Use thinner cord and some weight to get the line over suitable branches, connect chute and hoist. Attach main rope at tree trunk.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
This was Josh's chute which we hoisted over a limb of an oak and then just pegged every other tie out down ....

DSC01892.jpg

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
You can fold them in half and make a sort of open tipi, pegged down to the ground, supporting the apex with a long stick or hanging from a branch. This has the advantage of keeping winds out, which otherwise can be very chilling with the usual pitching arrangement, and of doubling the material, effectively making it fully waterproof.

Another tip I picked up - the guys at Woodsmoke proof their chute by dunking it in a bath full of Fabsil. This allows a much shallower angle of pitching.

NS

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
One thing worth noting from experience is they are not completely water proof, especially when new.
I pitched a lean too tarp under one once and stupidly left my phone outside the tarp but under the chute - next day it was ruined.

The do tend to get better with age though as they dirt and smoke up a little. Also a steep angle to the shelter helps to shed the water quicker.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
One thing we've done at meets in Scotland.
Use a carabiner on the central point of the 'chute.
Run some paracord though the carabiner down into the center to hang a lantern from.

leon-1

Have used a parachute suspended directly from a ridge line, also from a rope, but also supported by both a single pole and at another time a tripod.

Using both support from monopod or tripod ensure that the supporting poles are stout enough. As a tripod the supporting poles need to be bigger than your forearm in diameter and the canopy requires guying out well. It's not so much of an issue when you are in a sheltered area, but in the open it's very important.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Thanks for all the advice guys.
It's from Endicotts and cost £45 Inc of postage. The good thing about Endicotts is they carry out any repairs on the chutes before they send them out. Mine only needed 1 minor repair.
Can't praise Endicotts enough really, Kevin is a sound chap to deal with.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Did you manage to blag Kev into leaving the cords on or were they off before he got them in ?

Never asked him about that, but he did say that the netting around the edge will still be attached. All i have to do is cut the netting off leaving the attachment points.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
I use one approx once/twice a month from Feb to Nov. It is suspended from a tree limb and pegged out though sometimes with hazel poles to support the guying points. It gives a bit more room and takes up some slack in the chute. Dayglo and reflective guys are really useful to stop students garroting themselves or me tripping over them! If no poles, I often fold two pairs of panels over the outside and guy them together, it removes excess material and reduces the size a bit for a smaller space.

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
If taking the lines to the ground then try bracing the edges with some sticks to keep them higher up. This avoids having 15ft around the outside of trip zone when it gets dark.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE