Surplus parachute shortage?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
I bought a surplus parachute about 15 years ago to use as a group shelter and is used for our Scout group and Forest School however it is getting very tired and in need of replacement.
It has been repaired and patched multiple times but the storms last year really took their toll on it and a blown down tree put a rip from the apex to the rim. It has been sewn up again and we are struggling on but I cannot find a replacement anywhere and haven't seen any for what feels like years.

Is there anyone who knows where I might find one around 9m (~29 feet) diameter. Preferably without mesh panels/cutouts?

I have tried all the usual places, surplus stores etc. and thought I was onto a winner with DASoutdoors but they don't have any either. :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No idea on where to get a new one, but I repaired mine by cutting out leaf shapes (couple of big handspans wide sort of thing) and carefully sited them, then zig-zagged them on using the sewing machine. Mind to do 'veins' up and across them too to stabilise the whole thing, if you do do this.
It worked surprisingly well :)

I posted recently a link to a site selling decent ripstop. My leaves are different colours, but because they're 'leaves' they look fine on the 'chute.

M

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I have one, ex-cargo 'chute, green, most of the lines cut short-ish but in very good nick. I've never used it and have no space to open it out to see what size it is but your dimensions above ring true.

For the scouts, you say; well pm me and you can have it for the postage.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
No idea on where to get a new one, but I repaired mine by cutting out leaf shapes (couple of big handspans wide sort of thing) and carefully sited them, then zig-zagged them on using the sewing machine. Mind to do 'veins' up and across them too to stabilise the whole thing, if you do do this.
It worked surprisingly well :)

I posted recently a link to a site selling decent ripstop. My leaves are different colours, but because they're 'leaves' they look fine on the 'chute.

M
That's a great idea. The Scouts could try and identify the leaves if we could cut out different shapes.
I think the material may be a little degraded and possibly why it keeps tearing though.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
I have one, ex-cargo 'chute, green, most of the lines cut short-ish but in very good nick. I've never used it and have no space to open it out to see what size it is but your dimensions above ring true.

For the scouts, you say; well pm me and you can have it for the postage.
Wow. Thanks Macaroon, that's such a kind gesture. Pm incoming.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I tell you what really, really helped me suss out any repairs, etc., on the chute. I numbered the bottom corner of every panel with a permanent marker. Then I counted downwards for the individual panels. Once the chute was up it was easy to note where I needed to repair it or strengthen seams. Just note them down and it's a heck of a lot easier to find it again when you're faced with 24 panels, four bits apiece, on an enormous bit of cloth, and wondering where to start.

M

Reactions: Bootstrap Bob

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Just wanted to reply once more to this thread as I picked up the parachute this weekend.
Not only did Mac have the parachute but he also sent me on my travels with a few more items that may get some use by the Scout group in the future.
A wonderful gesture and a reminder that no matter how much the world is falling apart there are still some good people around who care.
Thanks Mac.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE