Scythian / Mongolian / Hungarian bows

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I've dabbled with archery in the past and have a lovely flatbow that I really enjoy shooting in the garden and very, very occasionally at my local club.

Now that Christmas is approaching I have a hankering for a scythian / hungarian / mongolian type bow . Has anyone tried one/ got one ? I've heard differing reports re how easy they are to shoot accurately and I know some of you lot are into the old arrow flinging so thought I'd ask here.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I bought a mongol years back and I still shoot it sometimes. I have to say that it's my toy, my little play thing. It is easy to shoot as the siyahs act like levers and give a slight let-off effect (like the cams on a compound), but it is still a very short bow with all of the weaknesses there. I.e it is critical of technique, so these days I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it :rolleyes: darn good fun though :D

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
yep, Grozer is what I have ;) Mind you, when I bought mine they were the only ones in teh country and the only people that imported that sort of thing were Eagle classic Archery. Nice bloke there, sadly no longer with us :(

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I have a Grozer scythian and my dad has an Internature, both 55lb. The Grozer is more attractive but I'd say the bulked up grip of the Internature makes it easier to shoot.
Neither of them like heavy arrows much and are happier with about 7 grains per pound. They both feel "light" to draw, with less weight being pulled at the early stage of the draw than a modern recurve.
They're light in the hand as well, making them slightly jittery and harder to shoot in high winds.

I enjoy using mine but if I'm after a short bow I usually grab a Bear Kodiak Magnum instead which is similar in size but is a cut shelf recurve. Reckon I just prefer shooting off the shelf to shooting off the hand.
My dad uses his every time we play round-the-clock on a dartboard face.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Thanks for the replies. My budget is pretty tight and I don't want to waste it on a bow that I can't hit anything with.

How difficult are they to shoot accurately?

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
Thanks for the replies. My budget is pretty tight and I don't want to waste it on a bow that I can't hit anything with.

How difficult are they to shoot accurately?

That really is a 'how is long a piece of string' question I'm afraid. Any bow made from purely natural materials (i.e. wood and bone) is going to be more affected by environmental conditions than bows including man-made materials. Practice & experience will limit the effects of these on shooting but they will always be there. There are Hungarians bows that include glass-fibre backing, similar to that found in American Flatbows, which makes life easier. It depends how 'trad' you want to go.

You also need to consider the arrows being used and how the bow is set up (i..e nocking point).

Sounds like your best idea would be to try and use one before committing yourself. Some shops stock these and you may be able to try before you buy (although your usage will probably be limited).

Jim

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The REAL Mongolian bows were the best bows in the world bar none. The English longbow was the best bow to emerge from europe.But it didn't even come close to the Mongolian bow. The bows you can buy now would have been childrens bows back in the day. A real mongol bow took over a year to make. Longbows averaged between 70/90 lbs where as the mongol averaged 160/200 lbs there are many reports of mongols shooting a stationary target 500m away, The only thing that came close were firearms.

http://www.coldsiberia.org/monbow.htm

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
If you can get to Preston, Lancashire, Archery World have a short range at the back of their shop and would probably let you test shoot one to see if you like it.

http://www.archeryworld.co.uk/

You have to a member of a club to use the range for insurance purposes, but the guys that work there know their stuff (but can be a little tetchy !)

Simon

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
[Heres the one I shoot.
Made by Spitfire bows in Canada.42" long.Draw weight 50# at 30". This is pulled to the ear using the thumb draw method.
You can get a better idea here
http://www.spitfirehorsebows.com/sassinidbow.asp
Jon R.
tn.jpg

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
The REAL Mongolian bows were the best bows in the world bar none. The English longbow was the best bow to emerge from europe.But it didn't even come close to the Mongolian bow. The bows you can buy now would have been childrens bows back in the day. A real mongol bow took over a year to make. Longbows averaged between 70/90 lbs where as the mongol averaged 160/200 lbs there are many reports of mongols shooting a stationary target 500m away, The only thing that came close were firearms.

Thank you for that excellent information and link, I had no idea that these bows possessed such power and were the result of such long term construction.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Some great information there! No wonder old Ghengis did so well for himself.

Looks like I'll be waiting till the New Year now, maybe the pound will pick up a bit in the meantime.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I shoot a samick SKB, its a modern interpretaion of the traditional korean bow, The korean bow was the pinnacle of composite bow development primarily for target use, they were unstable and frgile and had to be handled carefully but the ranges started at around 160 yards IIRC.

The SKB is a modern fibreglass, wood laminate and there are two versions one with rigid siyahs and one with more regular bow tips (i shoot the latter). the SKB is around £110 i think. its a very narrow handled bow and I added a leather grip to pad it out, it does however look like a modern fibreglass bow, albiet with a composite style braced and draw profile but one I'd recommend. though unless your willing to pay £1500 ish any mongol style bow you buy will be a fiberglass interpretation dressed up to look the part, (unless you make your own - as a few have on paleoplanet)

As far as accuracy goes I find it comes down to finding the right weight and spine(stiffness) of arrows and practising good technique (I can hit a barn door FITA reg targets are another matter though),

BTW the mongols shot off the other side of the bow i,e. for a right handed archer the arrow sits on the right hand side of the bow resting on the thumb, though I shoot mine as I would my olympic recurve.

I've seen grozier and other makes of composite bow in Eb@y for what its worth

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
BTW the mongols shot off the other side of the bow i,e. for a right handed archer the arrow sits on the right hand side of the bow resting on the thumb, though I shoot mine as I would my olympic recurve.

Eh??? I've always fired a bow that way. Left hand on bow, right drawing the string, arrow resting on left thumb. Am i doing it wrong?? I don't shoot much, mainly when i was younger and i was never in a club.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Eh??? I've always fired a bow that way. Left hand on bow, right drawing the string, arrow resting on left thumb. Am i doing it wrong?? I don't shoot much, mainly when i was younger and i was never in a club.
There is no "wrong" way. The most common draw is three fingers on the string with the arrow resting on the index finger of the bow hand, as the fingers gripping the string pull the arrow slightly to the right (if you are right handed). If you use the thumbring you are gripping the string with your index finger and thumb and would be pushing the arrow slightly to the left when drawing (if right handed) so resting the arrow on the thumb of the bow hand will push the arrow into the bow. But whatever style you find comfortable and accurate is good.

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
If you want to shoot an Asian bow I would suggest to take a look at these two sites.
I first carries bows from several bowyers and the fellow who runs it is a really nice guy.
I have got a couple from him.:rolleyes:
The next is Korean bows. Thomas is one heck of a guy and a very knowledgeable fellow when it comes to Korean archery. Both myself and my wife have bows from him.
Nice thing is he is supporting local Korean bowyers.
For the money its hard to beat.
http://www.eastern-archery.com/eubowframe.html
http://www.hwarangarchery.com/
While using a Mediterranean release from the off side of the bow works. A thumb release is much better once you get the hang of it.
With a thumb release the thumb is around the string just below the arrow nock. The index finger is placed across the thumbnail locking
the string behind the first joint of the thumb.
Hope this is helpful.
Jon R.

Gailainne

Life Member

Hmm not sure I agree with the longbow draw weights your quoting, I've seen text about the long bows found on the Mary Rose and they were in the 140/160 range. Also do you really think a longbow man who was brought up drawing bows could only draw a 70/90 lb bow ! I can draw a 50 lb bow with no problem, those guys had been practicing since they were kids.

However from an engineering standpoint I fully agree the mongol bows were an amazing peice of work. If anyone would like to see a traditional horn type bow being made there are some wonderful videos on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3cjk3-AHcI

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE