Field Archery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lyope

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2012
London
www.lyope.com
My partner and I spent a day at Wye Valley Archery this weekend and I thought you guys might like to hear about it.

As a London archer, used only to shooting indoors or out in sports fields in nice weather, it was completely different to anything that I'd done before. No stuffy competitions, no stupid rules and regulations about what you have to wear, no whistles and no silly old nonsense about what kind of bow you can and can't use.

Instead, there were a whole bunch of people, from little kids with loaner bows, right up to hairy bikers with war bows and everything in between. As long as you observed the basic safety rules, you could shoot what you liked, how you liked. The owner, Lee, made us hugely welcome and took us round the course personally - cracking jokes and giving us hits and tips as we went. He was using a lovely one-piece hunting recurve, but he shoots all sorts and I was fascinated to see his son, who shoots a high-poundage hunting compound bow off his gloved fingers!

There's a regular target range and a 'roving' range (complete with knights of various nationalities to engage) but after a few ends on the GNAS targets, we went off into the woods to play. The 3D course is awesome - it's packed with all sorts of real world archery challenges, shooting a variety of animal shaped objects at unknown ranges, with elevations, dead ground, multiple targets and other obstacles designed to make you think like a hunter, not like a target archer. For instance, when you walk into the woods for the first time, here's the very first thing you're confronted with:

LYP_001.jpg

The life size foam rubber targets mean that you can shoot at them all day with surprisingly little damage when you pull the arrow out. Bit of luck really, the big ones are many hundreds of pounds to replace.

They're marked with a kill zone which corresponds to where you'd need to put your arrow to drop them if they were real. Although to be fair, if they were real, you couldn't do this:

LYP_017.jpg

And you're unlikely to do this:

LYP_010.jpg

Although I have a lovely little Samick SKB short bare bow pulling 45lbs that I bought on here - I can't shoot for toffee with it. So instead, I used my Martin target compound setup with a regular scope. Not a field or hunting bow, but it let me be pretty accurate - although I left the posh carbon arrows at home because shooting in the woods is a great way to break and lose your best gear:

LYP_012.jpg

My partner shot a hired recurve bow without sights and had no problems making sure that Harry Potter wasn't getting his mail that evening:

LYP_022.jpg

It was just the best fun that I've had out in the woods for ages. Lots of the fun of hunting without the tiresome necessity of clearing up gibbly bits afterwards. Hell, I even got to shoot Bambi. Repeatedly. From 40 metres. Being horribly vain, I had to pose for one of those American bowhunting 'look what I shot' photos:

LYP_008.jpg

Sorry - that was gratuitous :D

So if you're in the market for a splendid day out just over the M4 bridge into Wales, I highly recommend giving Lee a call. He caters for all ages, standards, individuals and groups. He even says he'll do sessions for birthdays and stag parties, which I think is a great way of having some fun with your mates for not an awful lot of cash.

It's a shame it's such a long drive for us or I'd be down there much more. All I need to do now is to work out how to justify another day down there as a 'team building' jolly with my colleagues...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Great write up Lyope, Making me itchy to get back to it. I was a member of a field archery club near Dunkeld many moons ago and there was a great course in the woods. Looks like you had fun and hope you get back soon.

ATB,
GB.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Great writeup, field archery is the best. Shame about the cost of 3D targets, We shoot mostly at animal picture targets but now have a 3D owl and a half a 3D bear, 3D facing the archer but needs foam backing.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looks like a great time was had, thanks for sharing :)

On looking at it's location it's only an hours drive from the moot site. Might be a good idea for a day trip out with a group :cool:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Nice shooting. There's loads of events like that in the Netherlands nowadays. In fact, I'll be going to one with my archery club next saturday. That rubber on arrow impact sound just never gets old!:)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i started shooting when I was 15, at a GNAS target club. I enjoyed it agreat deal and got competitive. When I went away to uni I was introduced to field archery. I never went to another target shoot again :D

DEFINATELY the most fun form of archery. I did both EFAA and NFAS, though I prefered the NFAS. Sadly these days I don't get a chance to shoot at all :( I'vegot the perfect place to practice (10 acre wood of my very own) but I enjoyed the social side of clubs and competitions. Unfortunately due to the fact that I have to run courses and go to shows at weekends,I can't make any of the club meets

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
No stuffy competitions, no stupid rules and regulations about what you have to wear, no whistles and no silly old nonsense about what kind of bow you can and can't use.

Instead, there were a whole bunch of people, from little kids with loaner bows, right up to hairy bikers with war bows and everything in between. As long as you observed the basic safety rules, you could shoot what you liked, how you liked.

...and here you have hit the nail on the head...or shot the kill on the target if you like :eek:...the very reason that the wife, kids and I like going to our local field course whenever we can. Family shooting at it's best.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
The NFAS Field archery scene is just fantastic, I attended some awesome shoots and met some wonderful folks and few take it seriously! a saying I once heard was that you meet the best archers round the back of the targets, I miss it a lot!

A complete contrast to UK target archery which has apparently a "huge first year drop out rate". I found the difference like night and day.

Running around the woods with bows and arrows with your mates, shooting at big rubber animals........ what's not to like!?

The 3D scene is good here too but its not the same, I can't recommend it enough!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE