Scottish people....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I do a bit of Astronomy . Aurora has been seen ( though very feint ) as far South as Newcastle, believe it or not. Best images I have ever seen ( in UK ) are by another astronomer/photographer who lives in Caithness ( Thurso , IIRC ) You ideally want to get away from light pollution, so further North the better. As you now the science I'll skip the x class flares ! HTH.

Pete

Edit, eeek , need to reset the layout of thread, I thought you had no replies before mine !

General knowledge is fine, but any extra info from an astronomer would be welcome. In return, anything you want to know about ferrets or cider....... :)

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
General knowledge is fine, but any extra info from an astronomer would be welcome. In return, anything you want to know about ferrets or cider....... :)

Biggest problem you will probs have is, yup you guessed it, Scottish weather ! If your going to travel then you just need to get lucky. Another poster mention aurora watch site, good info there and as said , alerts can be sent. 2013 is meant to be Solar Max, best year for Solar stuff. Being an astronomer in Scotland is very, very frustrating BUT , when you get a good clear night, it can be awesome.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
S'alright though, Tunnock's is closed for the Fair Fortnight :)....except they have three weeks iirc :)

M

Is the Tunnocks broken biscuit shop still at the Barras Mary?, the folks here would love all those cheap biccys bought by the pound.

Sorry :offtopic:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't know :dunno: I haven't been to the Barras in years except to visit Bill's Tool Store :)

Generally we just go to the tearoom in the Main Street, the Minah bird's long gone though.

We can also get the very rare, delicious, and only sold in the shop, Tunnock's chocolate covered meringues :D and boxes of 3 dozen teacakes.
I might bring along a couple of boxes of wafers and logs to the next meet up. Got to be better than Kendal mintcake :yuck:

I grew up round here, and I don't have a sweet tooth, but between Haltons (jam and sweeties), Tunnocks and Lightbody's, the villages are awash with the smell of baking; it's astonishing that anyone has any teeth left :rolleyes:

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I don't know :dunno: I haven't been to the Barras in years except to visit Bill's Tool Store :)

Generally we just go to the tearoom in the Main Street, the Minah bird's long gone though.

We can also get the very rare, delicious, and only sold in the shop, Tunnock's chocolate covered meringues :D and boxes of 3 dozen teacakes.
I might bring along a couple of boxes of wafers and logs to the next meet up. Got to be better than Kendal mintcake :yuck:

I grew up round here, and I don't have a sweet tooth, but between Haltons (jam and sweeties), Tunnocks and Lightbody's, the villages are awash with the smell of baking; it's astonishing that anyone has any teeth left :rolleyes:

M

Aye it's a rare good smell, like when I lived near Fochabers and you could tell what soup they were making that day, and Keillers in Dundee during jam season.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I live in a small fishing village in NE, only seen it once and only faintly [kinda like the reflection on the roof of a swimming pool]. As someone already mentioned you'll have to be lucky with the weather. And like everyone else has suggested - further north.

Happy hunting...

Elen Sentier

I have seen excellent displays in Aberdeen City but none so far out on Banchory :(

I get email alerts from Aurora Watch when there is increased magnetic activity...

http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/

If you get to Orkney or even better Shetland, that would be good, but appreciate your on a budget.

Woo, thanks for the heads-up on the website, hope to get up there yet ...

xylaria

Shetland is so worth the 24hrs on trains and ferry, even if you don't see the northen lights. Outside of lerwick the not kipping in tents[need to be windproof] or ferry shelters [more glamping than dossing] maybe a slight problem. You get to see scotland from the trains.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Head for the Moray Firth area around Lossiemouth or just west of Burghead on Roseisle beach, with very clear views facing north and with only some small fishing towns in the area there is very little light pollution and later on in the year on a night with no moon or clouds, totally pitch black, weather permitting a great display of stars, satellites and ship lights out to sea.
If you do head up this way give me a shout and show you around the area and some great wild camping spots along the coast.
Good luck Bro

Last edited:

sakotrg

Aug 25, 2010
Aberdeen
Shetland is so worth the 24hrs on trains and ferry, even if you don't see the northen lights. Outside of lerwick the not kipping in tents[need to be windproof] or ferry shelters [more glamping than dossing] maybe a slight problem. You get to see scotland from the trains.

Careful with his budget!
Return ferry from Aberdeen with Toyota Hilux and 2 berth cabin £627. Could get a complete holiday in Spain for less and at least know you will get some good weather. Not much chance of cheap accomodation on Shetland either at the moment

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Head for the Moray Firth area around Lossiemouth or just west of Burghead on Roseisle beach, with very clear views facing north and with only some small fishing towns in the area there is very little light pollution and later on in the year on a night with no moon or clouds, totally pitch black, weather permitting a great display of stars, satellites and ship lights out to sea.
If you do head up this way give me a shout and show you around the area and some great wild camping spots along the coast.
Good luck Bro

I grew up in Nairn and can highly recommend this option!

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Further North the better. Shetland is a good option. Maybe try to time it to match this: http://www.uphellyaa.org/

I've heard it's a total blast, but accommodation is thin on the ground as everything is booked up.

I've only ever seen one really good show of the aurora, and that was from Knoydart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE