Scottish Meet Up!! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Eric - put my name down for a leather strip cutter and spare blade(s) please. I'd also like to get hold of an awl/some needles and one of those palm-held needle pushers if you could source one - let me know prices for these.

Sandbender - DVD has arrived - will start sorting pictures and upload them this afternoon - expect pictures online possibly by end of day...

Mary - Have ben playing around with cordage and braiding - have discovered that the 4-strand braid (under 2 back over one) can be done with 5 strands - under two then over one (in same direction). I suspect there are also 7 and 8-strand variations :)

Troy - if you want me to add bow photos to the photos of the weekend trip, then you can upload them to my site (I /think/ I PM'ed you the details...)

Roll on the next meet!

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Okay back from the Big Smoke. I will chase up Stuart about having a look at the various options of sites and get back to you guys.

Regarding merging the thread I do not think it was a good idea as the thread is probably too long for new people to start reading. It is like having the same thread for all the Ashdown meet ups. The new thread was too discuss and arrange the next / main meet up. The old thread was to arrange and postmortem the last meet up. I know they are both in Scotland but they are going to be different events, promise :D Of course I will not mention it again, as long as you mearge all the English meet ups into one thread :D

Serousley though it is not a big problem I just think it makes the thread a bit unweildy. Someone who starts from the beginning will get three or four pages into the thread and think they have missed the event and that it is now about what did happen as oppose to what is going to happen.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
We're just trying to keep individual groups to one thread at the moment, makes it a lot easier for people to find the most relevant thread.

What I can do is if you create a one page introduction, I can crop out any non-relevant posts to keep the thread to a reasonable size, or you can just PM me with the post range ie 2-108 (example) that you want removed. The other option that I'll check with Tone, is to have an Archive thread with past "reminiscent" posts that we can dump the history into and keep this one relelvant.

Let me know what you think.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Right, the pictures are up!

Scottish Bushcraft Meet

I've cut out a lot of repeats, and there are several hundreds of people blowing smoke out of tinder bundles I've left out :) I'm hoping to use some of these pictures for the big website I'm currently working on to do with fire-starting techniques - if anyone doesn't want their pictures used, or pictures of them ued, please let me know (full credit will of course be given...)

MagiKelly

match said:
Right, the pictures are up!

Scottish Bushcraft Meet

I've cut out a lot of repeats, and there are several hundreds of people blowing smoke out of tinder bundles I've left out :) I'm hoping to use some of these pictures for the big website I'm currently working on to do with fire-starting techniques - if anyone doesn't want their pictures used, or pictures of them ued, please let me know (full credit will of course be given...)

Small point but Stuart Chalmers name is spelt incorrectly, just to keep the credits right.

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
great photies of what was obviously a great weekend.The ones of doc and doc jnr with the fire bundles spoke volumes.Need to make the next one.Will make the next one.

'Its a fools life,a rogues life and a good life if you keep laughing all the way to the grave'-Ed Abbey.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh Yess...thank you so much :eek: Time to find the ones I took I suspect....lolling about much John?, huh :rolleyes:
Oh and it's official, me and Varibo are on diets!.....and my family hate you, I'm a real pain when I'm trying to lose weight! :( If I'm on a diet, everyone's on a diet!

Seriously though, nice work everyone, and thanks to Match for compiling it all. :)
Cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
So, have we decided on a provisional date for the next meet? I think an agreed date is more important than a specific location (locations can be chosen right up to the last couple of days), but I need dates so I can make any adjustments to my diary.

My brand spanking new hammock has arrived and I'll be modifying it this weekend. It's made from parachute silk and is three metres long by two and a half wide.

I've also ordered three dozen arrow shafts and points and fletchings to match. I'll have maybe two dozen made up for people to shoot and leave a dozen to make up at the meet for anyone who wants to fletch arrows.

I'm also trying to get some nice ash staves for bows and that will depend on whether I can get over to the Lakes in time to get them felled and dried out a bit, otherwise I still have some yew to play with.

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eric what dates are you fixing for the Paleo weekend?
I can manage most weekends (might need to curl up and snooze lots :eek: to catch up after the week day efforts) apart from 1st & 2nd October which is Tree in the Park at Chatelherault, Hamilton......the Ranger I'm working with is another bushcrafter and tells me that there's overnight camping if we want to stay on site.
Cheers,
Toddy

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
i would love to stay out a night in chatelherault. its a great place !! i go there all the time. would i be able to come? my wifes from hamilton and i could drop her off at her parents then come out to play!! lol

regards
james

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I haven't arranged any dates yet for the paleo weekend. Truth to tell, I'd forgotten all about it. Thanks for reminding me. I'll have to get the weekend in the woods out of the way first because that's work (although completely pleasurable), and I have the August bank holiday week taken up as artist in residence at Kirkletham Museum in Redcar. But most other times are OK. I also have three weeks completely clear in October. I like Scotland in October - still not too cold to camp and no midgies - wonderful.

Eric

MagiKelly

Okay at the weekend I spent the night at Loch Drunkie on the Three Forests Drive. Also got the chance to check out the youth camp. It looks ideal. Ther eis plenty of parking and the site is nice and flat with enough trees for hammocks and space for tents. There is a place for lighting a fire and access to the Loch for canoes is perfect.

Drawbacks are few. The lack of toilets has been discussd and solved. From where the cars are parked to the site is about 20m but this is down a stair but should not be a problem with plenty of us there to help with any heavy items. Also there is likely to be no fire wood on the site as it will have been used by others but loads can be gathered by taking a short drive or by canoe so not really a problem.

I will get Stuart to send ma a list of dates that are available and post them here.

MagiKelly

Okay. As of today the Youth camp is booked this weekend and next weekend but is available after that every weekend. Obviousley this can change at any time.

For my part I am not available the weekend the 3rd & 4th September and also the September Weekend I am away. Barring that I should be able to work round most weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE