Scottish Meet Up!! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but interested in bushcraft and keen to learn more. If I can get time off I'd be keen to get to Loch Tay. I'd have to cadge a lift however, from Edinburgh.

Can (usually) get an ember with a bowdrill, and strike sparks with confidence.

JOhn

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Nearly forgot. Anyone want to learn how to make strong leather knife sheaths? If so I'll bring all the shoemaking gear, awls, wax and linen thread. I'll pop into LePrevo and get some more leather as well. Anyone using the leather can re-emburse me for the bits they use.

Eric

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Eric, that sounds great. Would like to learn sheath making etc but has looked like too much of a black art. No doubt it is easier when you have someone to show you.

JohnC, you would be welcome at the meet. Pickup from local stations may be an option if you can't get a lift.

Re the gold panning - as it happens, several burns in that area are auriferous - i.e. gold-bearing. The rangers regularly evict opportunistic panners from the Moness burn at Aberfeldy since someone found a nugget there.

However, at the Crannog site there is not a sufficient burn to practice in. Nevertheless, there is plenty of gravel on the shore, and plenty of water in the loch, and I can demonstrate the technique using flattened shotgun pellets (there are ducks around so I'll get some non-toxic bismuth pellets). If you can pan lead or bismuth you can pan gold. Lead is light by comparison.

There is still a chance you might find gold in loch side gravel, especially if you get down to bedrock. At Nome in Alaska miners found a lot of gold in the sand on the beach.

I'll bring some Scottish gold to show you. I regret to say my biggest 'nugget' is about half-a-match-head size.....

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
What kit would be appropriate to bring?
Sorry for the newbie questions, but if I don't ask, I'll never know :)

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Gold-panning, sheath-making - it all sounds better and better!

Can't wait to come now - I'm re-learning all my knots (have been out of practice recently) so that I can maybe talk about those too (I always find its not a case of how many knots you know, but which ones are the most useful!).

Which reminds me, I'll bring a big ball of string and do some netting, and also learn Toddy's knotless netting technique :) Oh, and show everyone the slatts belt, which is a really nice way to carry lots of rope very easily.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
JohnC said:
What kit would be appropriate to bring?
Sorry for the newbie questions, but if I don't ask, I'll never know :)

At the minimum, bring a sleeping bag, some warm clothes, a shelter of some kind (tent/basha/bivvy bag), food and water for 3 days (always assume these won't be accessible), a good sharp knife and any bits and pieces of kit you want to bring - either stuff you already know, or things you've got but want more help with etc. Waterproofs and insect repellants are also a must for anywhere in Scotland :) (although suncream might be needed if the weather keeps going the way its been recently :cool:)

Oh, and don't forget enthusiasm, willingness to learn, and an enjoyment of the outdoors (and a love of midges :rolleyes:)

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
This all sounds great and I'm looking forward to the meet, however, I can't see any posts from Toddy confirming that everything is set for the 15-17 July.
Toddy any news?

Cheers

JFW

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
MagiKelly said:
We're going to need more than three days!
If this is the Mini meet I can't imagine what will be happening at the main one.

John

I was thinking the same thing, maybe it would be better to concentrate on certain things and save others for the BIG meet????? seems to be a lot of stuff people want to do but in the time you have you will only be able to skim the surface of each subject
Its better to decide now than upset those who don't get to show their bushcraft skills.
I don't think I can make it which is a pity as it sounds good .
Simple reason, someone is borrowing the car for a couple of weeks (I can cycle were I want to go) .
And the canoe loan is coming along great even been given a roofrack to transport it, going on the Loch tomorrow night (weather permitting) to have a play with it.
Got to fit the rudder and sail rig to it yet, its never been fitted it and its still in the box even though he has had the canoe for several years.

This could be fun :)

MickT

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Even if we just do 'tasters' at the mini meet, it will allow us to judge what needs to be covered at the main one, and also possibly plan a provisional programme while we're all gathered in the one place. I might not get the chance to cover all the stuff I'm bringing, but I'll bring it anyway - just in case.

Eric

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
If anyone is taking numbers I will probably have someone with me. It is my intention to bring Stuart, who works for the Foresty Commission, and who can hopefully get us access to some land for a bigger meet up. My thoughts are that see ing the mini meet up will give him a better idea of our requirements.

Also it will probably be early Saturday morning I arrive, there is the small matter of my wedding anniversary on the Friday :rolleyes:

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
At the moment it looks like the following will be attending

Eric
Magikelly
Stuart
JFW
JohnC
Doc
Match
Troy
Toddy
Sandbender
Graham_S

That makes eleven - though not sure if Graham can make it

Cheers

JFW

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello,
Change of plans. :rolleyes:

I have had great difficulty getting hold of the Crannog management but finally received a reply yesterday evening....

"Re: bushcraft folk: mid July is a BAD time. Our diving fieldschool starts then. Let's talk about a better weekend, and also what they might do. Alan would need to be around also. He goes on holiday prob first two weeks in August."

I PM'd Sandbender & Doc asking for advice since the other sites that I know are available aren't so central.
Sandbender has very kindly/bravely/foolishly :eek: volunteered the following site:

*************************************************************************************
"OK I've had a ponder and I'm happy for everybody to come to my place for the weekend, the policies of Oliverburn House extend to 2.5 acres, there is a very large grassy paddock (free of livestock and ticks) or a small wood where some kind of hootchie or hammock arrangement would be possible. The wood certainly will not support forty + folks with hammocks though.

This at least gives the mini meet crowd a place to aim for, if something better come up then thats great.

We're about 6k north of Perth."

**************************************************************************************

I PM'd him asking if he were sure, and suggested that we might bring in extra timber, etc.,
Sandbender replied.....

**************************************************************************************
"No I'm happy for the mini meet to go ahead, I don't doubt that the place will be well looked after, bringing a wood supply is never a bad idea, however there is quite a bit there to be used, and a few sycamores that need felling.

I've been speaking to richie from london, he may come too and if he does we may end up with a giant parachute/tipi in the wood.

if you want to post the change and send folks to the Oliverburn link.

http://homepage.mac.com/andrewrush/...oliverburn.html

I'll modify the map so that the numbers make sense and the directions are clear.

And if you would also point out that dogs cannot be brought, apart from the livestock issues, my cat might kill it... :) "
***************************************************************************************

So; state of play.
The Crannog isn't available on our preferred mini moot weekend, and the other known sites available aren't very central.
I recommend that we go to Oliverburn House, near Perth for the weekend.
If anyone has problems with this will they please PM me and we'll see what can be done?
If anyone has another suitable site in mind will they please let us know?

Since numbers could 'potentially' be an issue, if you intend to go will you please add your name to the following list.

Cheers,
Toddy

Sandbender
Doc
Troy
Toddy
Match
Eric Methven
Magikelly
JFW
GrahamS
JohnC
Stuart

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
The link didn't work for me when I clicked on it. Here's the actual link to sandbender's place.

http://homepage.mac.com/andrewrush/Pictures/oliverburn/oliverburn.html

I'm really looking forward to it. Follow the link and click on the picture of the map to get an enlarged version.

Sandbender, any idea of the grid reference and sheet number for your place, and many thanks for offering it's use.

Eric

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Goose said:
This any use to you?]

Thanks Goose but the best map to use will be the one on the earlier link posted by toddy and Eric, I will add written directions to it later.

The place is notoriously difficult to find from maps alone...

Which is why I like it so much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE