Scottish Meet Up!! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
Hi all

First of all - would like to apologise to those going to the game fair tomorrow (Sat 2 july), I won't be able to make it now, will definatly be at the mini meet - nearly bought a special map from OS with crannog being the centre of the map in the view of a bit of wandering, but cheers sandbender for the new location, looks nice. Will bows be allowed there?

have attached photo of tripod and gas bottle pots (make thanks to waylands help)
don't know if I could bring them to try them out, you may also notice in the photo that the rain is back - not to worry, I was starting to look like a bit of bacon any way!

Just made some rawhide glue, could bring it along if any fancies a try, unless its still raining that is.

Cheers again sandbender for inviting us to your place - I was thinking of staying under a poncho, would it be OK to use bungees around the trees?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"Will bows be allowed there?"

Doc is already talking about bringing his bow and a large target, the main paddock is certainly long enough to set up a range, however behind a beech hedge on one side is the road, so someone will have to take charge of the safety aspect I think.

The far end of the paddock ends in an orchard with my new neighbours house beyond, I don't think I'm going to like him much and he has some huge gas guzzling US 4x4's so I'm happy for those to be peppered with arrows :)

"Tripod etc... I could bring them to try them out," Sure, perhaps some kind of communal food purchasing would make sense?

"I was thinking of staying under a poncho, would it be OK to use bungees around the trees?"

There are trees where hootchie's, poncho's and hammocks can be hung, however there aren't that many, Anyone who can sleep in the paddock in a tent, tipi or bivi should plan to do so.

I frequently wander off and sleep in the forests of nearby estates, this is an option for you guys too, just make sure that your presence cannot be traced back to me, I have a pretty good relationship with the local ghillie and landowner and am currently trying to win riparian rights to his loch, so I don't want 'the boat rocked' as it were.

I have several large sycamores which need felled and chopped up if anybody wants to do the camp craft thing.

I have a fair amount of firewood but if everybody sticks a little in there car I think that this would probably help.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
sandbender said:
Will bows be allowed there?
Doc is already talking about bringing his bow and a large target, the main paddock is certainly long enough to set up a range, however behind a beech hedge on one side is the road, so someone will have to take charge of the safety aspect I think.
The far end of the paddock ends in an orchard with my new neighbours house beyond, I don't think I'm going to like him much and he has some huge gas guzzling US 4x4's so I'm happy for those to be peppered with arrows :)
Tripod etc... I could bring them to try them out, Sure, perhaps some kind of communal food purchasing would make sense?
I was thinking of staying under a poncho, would it be OK to use bungees around the trees?
There are trees where hootchie's, poncho's and hammocks can be hung, however there aren't that many, Anyone who can sleep in the paddock in a tent, tipi or bivi should plan to do so.
I frequently wander off and sleep in the forests of nearby estates, this is an option for you guys too, just make sure that your presence cannot be traced back to me, I have a pretty good relationship with the local ghillie and landowner and am currently trying to win riparian rights to his loch, so I don't want 'the boat rocked' as it were.
I have several large sycamores which need felled and chopped up if anybody wants to do the camp craft thing.
I have a fair amount of firewood but if everybody sticks a little in there car I think that this would probably help.

Thanks for all that Sandbender.

I'll volunteer to sleep in a tent; I didn't fancy using my ultra-ultra light one near an open fire anyway so I've just bought the £15 cheapie from Argos and this might be a good excuse to try it out. I've also got masses of cheap waterproof (yes, it's green :D ) fabric that could be used for for hootchis/bashas/whatever.
I spoke with Eric last night and he suggested bringing a chainsaw to help with the sycamore; he'll probably be in touch.
I'll bring some charcoal, it's light and can be useful.
How are your midges? Do I make up some wipes and bring the bog myrtle, mugwort & melissa?
I'm shopping for a 40th birthday party this weekend; if there's anything that might be useful to have, in bulk, or just communally, let me know and I'll bring it with me.
Cheers,
Toddy

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Ecellent work - thanks Sandbender! Good to know its all still on! :D

I'll probably be bringing a hammock AND a bivvy bag, as I currently have no tent, but I'll decide which to use based on the weather and availability of trees.

I'll also have a small hand axe with me (only just got it so I'm keen to try it out) but I suspect I'll happily leave all the big stuff to the chainsaw :)

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
'I'm shopping for a 40th birthday party this weekend; if there's anything that might be useful to have, in bulk, or just communally, let me know and I'll bring it with me.'

BOOZE comes to mind - only joking (not a good idea being sandbenders home and with all the axes, knives, arrows flying around, perhaps just a few bourbons around the evening camp fire), thanks for the shopping idea toddy.Please don't put yourself out, but if you must, my pots will be ideal for stews, soups, the sort of stuff you can just chuck in and let simmer. Tell me what you get and I'll get whats left off your list.

When I started this thread off, I never dreamt where it would lead. There is so many skilled people whose combined experiance and materials are going to make this one hell of knowledge gathering - that alone is a good enough celebration for me (40 on 18 july, or 18 0n 40 july!!) and sandbender ,will bring the steel points for you know what!!

one last thing, just finished a bow out of sycamore, and apart from messing up cutting to much with the electric saw, it works quite well, looks good but is only about 20 lb strength

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Toddy/Sandbender,

what a pair of stars you are for all your hard work and effort, if we manage to fell the trees there will be plenty of wood for camp craft activities. I will try and bring some firewood - I'll have a word with my mate, who's a joiner, I'm sure he can fix me up with a couple of bags of offcuts.

Cheers

JFW

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If I bring along more of the long length silk fibres, some hemp, flax, nettle and willow bast (I've got horsehair too) can we have kind of trial with bow cordages?
I'd like to see how they do for firebows as well as longbows. I've got good beeswax too.

Cheers,
Toddy

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I'll be bringing my firebow and hearth blocks/spindles/whatever I can find that'd work, and I'm ahppy to teach this skill to anyone who wants to learn/wants tips on improving their technique. I'll bring a bit of tinder, but its always fairly easy to find bits and bobs around a campsite in the middle of summer (birch bark, seed heads, dry grass etc). I generally just use a nylon cord for this, but I've laways been interested to have a go testing different fibres for this purpose - we shall see what works!

I'll also try and bring a netting needle and some hemp with me to demonstrate net-making/learn new techniques - if said needle and thread arrives any time soon :rolleyes:

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Did I mention that as well as not being very skilled I am not a great cook?

Stew is my favourite food though so any money needed towards provisions etc let me know.

I have a small petrol chainsaw I can bring, more use for limbing than felling but not a problem to bring it. Also I have a few axes and bow saws (folding , buck and normal) that I can bring.

I have recently made a lid for my Crisader mug and have enough of the steel sheet to make a few more so if any of you use a steel mug to cook in then I am happy to make lids for you at the meet.

Now I have had a thought about toilets. I am guessing that Sandblender is not going to want us traipsing in and out his house and also may not be keen on us using his woodland as our own toilet block so perrhaps it might be an idea to get a portaloo for the weekend? Cost could be split by the attendees (with the exception of Sandblender obvousley)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
it looks like a good oppertunity to test out my new svord drop point (i should have it by then)
i've got a hammock and a bivi bag so i'm easy either way.
i've got a couple of bags of kindling from my last scout demo so i'll bring that along (just right for my kelly kettle)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
John is right and there may be a few logistical issues to deal with. I don't know the area but some that spring to mind are:

Parking
Loos/latrines
Water supply
First Aid (I can provide a group kit)
Rubbish (hopefully not too much of this)
Safety generally.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"Did I mention that as well as not being very skilled"

You lie! :)

"I am not a great cook?"

My sister may be there, she's a chef

"I am happy to make lids for you at the meet."

Done! :)

"Now I have had a thought about toilets."

Theres a fair bit of space, I was going to propose that a latrine trench be built, if someone provided a largish sheet of something it could be screened off. A bit of campcraft might provide a suitable sitting pole!

Any ladies or kids unwilling to risk life and limb are welcome to use the house.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Doc said:
John is right and there may be a few logistical issues to deal with. I don't know the area but some that spring to mind are:

Parking - From the main gate up to the house the drive will probably take twenty or so cars, there is also room at the front, side and a little at the back of the house for maybe ten more - ish.

Loos/latrines - dig a latrine trench and/or use house (septic tank so no cushioned loo roll)

Water supply - I've been drinking the stuff from the tap for years and apart from the hair loss there have been no visible side effects :)

First Aid (I can provide a group kit) - fantastic

Rubbish (hopefully not too much of this) - burn or take as much away as you can, I only have a little wheelie bin :(

Safety generally. - There aren't that many of us which is less of a worry, if from this we decide to do something bigger then safety officers, floor managers, security should be looked into.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
"Water supply - I've been drinking the stuff from the tap for years and apart from the hair loss there have been no visible side effects "

It's very strange - it's had the same effect on me too...

Great stuff, Andrew. Thanks for hosting this!

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
I'd like to come if its possible to get off my work. Im with Network Rail, so unfortunatly all my important work takes place at the weekend and my summer fortnight is booked last week july / first week august :(

Dunno if I have much to offer, but Im generally quite handy, Im quite a good cook and Ive got a large collection of Surefire and other torches that people could play with :D .

If we have no major work on that weekend I may be able to get time off.

heres hoping

stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE