Scottish Meet Up!! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
'Mini Meet' is this a first for BCuk - brings forth images of us all huddle over a little fire, fighting off the midges, defending our bannochs from the very worse of critters - ye I'm up for it, just might have to buy one of those reindeer pelts shown in another thread, haven't got a hammock they bring back to many bad memories on the sea?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
troy said:
'Mini Meet' is this a first for BCuk - brings forth images of us all huddle over a little fire, fighting off the midges, defending our bannochs from the very worse of critters .....-QUOTE]

:D Well, it's a kind of Scottish thing. :) , we don't have pub that's local to us all since we're a bit spread out, so we have to create our own temporary 'local'.....I can get us peat if you 'really' want :confused: Both sites are close to car parking so I'm just going to bring one of those framed camp beds. I think there's enough material around if folks want to make their own though. Truthfully, it's just a shingled loch shore and I've slept on it plenty of times, you just pick your spot among the finer stuff and bed down.

Midgies can be a pest, but they haven't ever been rapacious any of the times I've spent up there. We'll just burn some bog myrtle in among the fire to help discourage them, and Doc had a little bottle of something he says is excellent too, might be worthwhile buying some before the visit. :cool:

Bannocks? hey it's evey man (or woman) for themselves there ;) !

Dates? any preferences?
Sites? any others available?

Cheers,
Toddy

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
If the midges are fairly convenial down your way, it will make a change from our fully trained in gueilla warfare and preffesional stingers up here - regardless of their temperment, the best tactic has always been to take as many victims as possible and eat plenty of bake beans roasted lightly with full bulbs of garlic over gas mark three medium oak logs - peat will do fine.

Apparently they also hate the milkman song from benny hill, but this does require the need for a local pub so that those involved can build up the courage to sing it!

on the serious side, ref dates - I'll start the bidding from any day/duration 22 july to 7 august, plus any weekend.

would there be any possibility of using the bows any where?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i'm up for a bit of this, i'm going to be at the july meet in wales so that weekend is out for me, but i'm available almost every other one.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Just back from a night wild camping on Loch Ericht, hence the delay in adding my tuppence.

Both of the sites are small strips of shingle beach, between a main road and Loch Tay itself. Neither has a wildeness feel - more like a back yard feel really.

The One next to the Crannog is obviously private land, and apart from fascinated Crannog visitors ('so who are these guys in green then?') it's fairly private. Toilet facilities may be an issue but there is a hotel 2 minutes away. Good firewood supplies (to be honest, Toddy, I thought there was enough to build a raft.....)
Good for demonstrating things and teaching each other. OK for shore based angling (spinning/bait casting would be easier than fly due to trees but both possible). Far from ideal for archery but nevertheless it would be quite possible and safe to set up a ten to fifteen yard range as there is a good backstop. Would need to be taped off and well supervised though. (My straw target boss recently died - anyone got one?) Looks fine to me for launching canoes/small boats but Sandbender knows more about this than I do. Could be used for pitching tents but space limited and additional groundsheets might be advisable..

The one on the far side is bigger and more public - I might feel nervous about leaving gear unattended. Quite windy if the wind is blowing down the loch.

Midgies could be a serious problem. Perhaps a main meet would be best left to September (no/few midgies, everyone back from summer hols) but an overnight recce by more people before then could be good - I'd certainly be keen. I've just been almost eaten alive over on Loch Ericht despite liberal application of Mozzyoff (Neem tree oil, bog myrtle plus 11 different herbs and spices) and a headnet so anyone thinking of this should be well prepared!

Very good to meet Sandbender and Toddy - both excellent folk with rather wideranging experience. Can't really match their experience but would be happy to pass on what I know (I teach wound suturing to medical students which might be a useful skill to people on expeditions.)The potential for sharing skills and knowledge here is massive.

Toddy showed me some flax for tinder. It's so highly inflammable it ought to have a Hazchem sticker on it.

Reactions: Toddy

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I'm up for any meetup at any time, except perhaps the last weekend in July, when I'm hoping to be at the big meet in Wales :)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I think we need to set a date then.

Looking at when people are away, and allowing for forward planning, I wondered about the weekend of 13th/14th August? Or possibly early July?

Although I am stating the dates for Sat/Sun I daresay a Friday evening kickoff would be an option. Still quite light at 11pm up here just now.

25/26 June - too soon!

2/3 July - Game Fair at Scone (anyone else going? - maybe meet some of you there? Lots of bushcrafty stuff there.)

23/24 July- Magikelly unavailable.

30/31 July I'm unavailable, as is Match, and is August Bank Holiday so the place will be heaving with tourists.

6/7 August I'm probably unavailable.

Not sure on your availability Toddy? Anyone else? Please advise availability/non- availability asap on this thread.

With reference to Sandbender's apparently cryptic comment on bananas - I teach my medical students to suture up incised wounds on banana skins before letting them try on real people. Of course, if anyone was to have an accident, and didn't mind.......

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Well...possible dates for a minimeet might be:

9/10 July
16/17 July
13/14 Aug
20/21 Aug

with a view to a main meet in September.

Of course, the critical deciding factor for dates is when is suitable for landowners and I'll await Toddy's info on this.

I know of an excellent site elsewhere in Perthshire but it is too early to say whether or not I will be able to get permission.

Of course, there are also possibilities for small group meetups in remote land as wild camping etc is allowed under the access code. The code is a bit vague about fires but does imply they are okay in certain circumstances. Trout fishing is available in many lochs at very low cost (typically less than a fiver a day).

I had a good time wild camping by Ben Alder. I didn't actually have a fire though the loch has shingly shores littered with old pine roots so it would have been safe and non-damaging. I also looked in on the excellent bothy to drop off some firewood I collected (two rooms, fireplace in each, and cutting tools supplied to get wood. Also a big sign: 'The toilet is the spade by the door...' :eek: ) Of course large group use of bothies is discouraged but three or four would be okay.

A lot of bothies and good wild camping areas require a fair walk in though. Ben Alder bothy is a 17 mile round trip from the road, though many are less remote.

Any thoughts?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Perhaps Loch Ericht/Ben Alder would be a possible venue for the North Scottish BCUK/Canoe Mini Meet?

Those of us with Canoes could pair up with any without who wanted to attend?

I agree with Wayland, late September to avoid the mosi menace...

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
when you all talk of loch ericht, is it from the southern or northern end you gain access - normally, due to my location, I cycle in from the north and am willing too again any time, it would just be nice to put some faces to names. bothies

One bit of tit bit about this loch that some one told me - there is supposed to be buried treasure at the southern end, has any body else heard this?

Will also be going to scone - I want to look at the 'light my fire' skillets - probably saturday. If I am with the kids, I'll be the one whos highly stressed and not far off a heart attack with a brown baseball cap with 'jack mountain' on it.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
From the north, though I've never been there, There is also occasional? access from the south via an estate road from Bridge of Ericht on Loch Rannoch. Apparantly there is a gate in a deer fence which can be found to be locked and block access. Not sure about the parking situation at the north end.

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
last time I went, there was parking on the outskirts of dalwinnie, just at the head of the loch - ref security, there are normally cars left over night there and quite afew other places in the visinity, but this time of year cars are left unattended all over the highlands in the pursuit of even more munros - I gave up years ago.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I walked in from the Forestry Commision Rannoch Lodge plantation. About 2 miles before Rannoch Station. There is about a 5 mile walk to the Loch and another 3-4 to the bothy. The first 6 miles or so is on estate tracks (probably passable by car, certainly by 4x4) but goes through 4 or 5 locked gates.

There is also a hydro road to the dam on the loch. I have no info.

Access from the north is possible from Dalwhinnie.

It is remote country. I saw quite a few red deer, but no people, except for 2 amiable Glaswegians staying at the bothy.

There are several areas worth considering. Loch Laidon has easy access from Rannoch station. Corrour station is easy to get to by train and is pretty remote, with a modest walk to Loch Treig, and various bothies nearby.

Cairngorm area has lots of lochs, a few bothies and Scots pine.

I like Tentsmuir Forest in Fife a lot, although it can get quite busy with people.

Canoes certainly open up a lot of otherwise unaccessible country, and allow carriage of more kit. I know at least two of you have got one, and if their was an 'intensely jealous' smiley i would post it here. :D

Perhaps a two day recce by 3 or 4 people would be worth considering?

As for the Game Fair - how about meet at 2pm on the Saturday at the BASC tent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE