Scottish Meet Up!! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A little not bushcrafty...I have recently been given as part of a barter a *HUGE* quantity of laboratory glassware. This includes about 3000 little glass sample bottles with no corks/bungs/caps. I also have eight huge demi john type flasks (hold about 3 demijohns worth) I'll happily bring them with me if someone promises to take any of them away to a good home. I also have the grandaddy of all beakers...about 2' high and about 16" in diameter needing shifted out of my workshop. I'm not prepared to post these, but I will transport them carefully to the meet if required. No barter/exchange is expected; they're just good things I can't use and I really need the space.

Cheers,
Toddy

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Toddy said:
3000 little glass sample bottles with no corks/bungs/caps. I also have eight huge demi john type flasks (hold about 3 demijohns worth) I'll happily bring them with me if someone promises to take any of them away to a good home. I also have the grandaddy of all beakers...about 2' high and about 16" in diameter

I have a very good home for them Toddy, I'd like the lot :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Toddy said:
YESSSSS :D

Oh mother! I drive a little renault clio...this is so not going to be fun to pack for Perthshire :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

you think you have problems?
i drive a little 2 seater sports car.
i can actually carry more kit that i can pack in my car!!!

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
troy said:
Ref the swop/sale thing, heres a few things that might interest ;

4 mullien stalks (for hand drill)

I've been trying to get hold of a nice mullein stalk for a while now - not having a car means that I have no easy way to transport the stalks from where I've seen them growing to where I live (a 5ft stalk isn't easy to add to a bicycle!).

If you can save one for me, I'll attempt to do a demo on hand drill fires as well as bow drill ones - however, I've only been successful with a hand drill once, so I can show technique, but not necessarily get a fire going!

Edit: Just received a new netting needle and big ball of hemp twine I ordered, so netting demonstrations will definitely be underway!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I doubt the weather will hold for the weekend, but according to my thermometer it's 29 degrees here in Sunny Perthshire.....

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Excellent. Look forward to seeing it. I was too immersed in picking an axe at the LMF stall to check out their tents, but they looked good.

On a slightly different note, a static camp like this is very good for meeting each other and skill swapping, but an expedition-style meet might be worth considering too, especially to a wild area such as Knoydart, or Rannoch, or one of the islands. If anyone is interested we can blether about it at the meet. I will bring OS maps of possible areas and others may wish to do the same.

I'll probably be there Friday night about 8pm. Anyone else able to make a Friday start?

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Doc said:
On a slightly different note, a static camp like this is very good for meeting each other and skill swapping, but an expedition-style meet might be worth considering too, especially to a wild area such as Knoydart, or Rannoch, or one of the islands. If anyone is interested we can blether about it at the meet. I will bring OS maps of possible areas and others may wish to do the same.

There has been talk of a canoe meet which would be more expedition style.

Doc said:
I'll probably be there Friday night about 8pm. Anyone else able to make a Friday start?

Stupid wedding anniversary!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'll be getting to Edinburgh around one o'clockish to pick up the two lads and then we'll just scoot up from there so I should arrive mid to late afternoon. I bagsy the best pitch!

Eric

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
For what it's worth, the 5 day outlook for Friday and Saturday is sunny, 20 to 21 degrees. Though as Sandbender says, bits of Perthshire have an odd microclimate.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
I'm hoping to get there by 8pm on the friday night. Don't know if I'll be able to bring any joinery offcuts for firewood though as my mate mainly works with MDF now and I don't fancy burning that, but I'll see what else I can sort out.
Are we all bringing something to contribute to the comunal veggie stewpot?

Cheers

JFW

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
JFW said:
Are we all bringing something to contribute to the comunal veggie stewpot?

Cheers

JFW

I think so, yes. If some can't carry there ought to be enough to go around easily then and still allow some campfire try outs too. I'm going to have flour/dried milk/baking powder and dried fruit left over from this weeks work so I'll bring it along to get used up for breads/bannocks. I like the idea of a potage but in this heat, having been working around open fires for the last two days, (and two more still to go) all I can face just now is salad.
Hopefully I ought to get there by Friday evening...earlier if the roads are clear.
Cheers,
Toddy

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Between us all, I doubt we'll starve. The site is close to Perth so if necessary we can always go foraging in er, Tesco......

I'll be there with my oldest son Ross who's seven going on eight. He's a responsible lad but needless to say I'll be watching him like a hawk.

Latest on the weather is it'll be sun or sunny spells all weekend, probably no rain, about 20 degrees in the day and low of 12 degrees at night. Sunrise about 4.45am and sunset about 2250.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
My grandson is gutted that he can't come with me. He just turned 8 yesterday. They are all flying off to Greece on Friday night for a couple of weeks. I've promised him he can come to the big meet.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE