Scottish Meet Up!! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Graham_S said:
i find if you have enough malt hayfever becomes less of a problem :D

I must still be half sleep, I thought about the malt and started mentally redding out bread and cake recipes....then I *got* it :D Personally malt and campfire smoke seems to work ;)
Cheers,
Toddy

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
Infomation technology - just like what that means to the modern person, I think this meet will mean an explosion of brain over load to many, if not all who attend.

It took, by natural evolution, humans thousands of years to learn all we will cover and I am sure there was many such meets, hostile or friendly, where people shared knowledge. To recent memory there was the mountain man meets that brought together a huge range of different cultures for the cause of commerce, more recently(1988), these meets in american history have been relived and brought this ocean of skills and knowledge to the foreground once more.

Be you a crusader, explorer, craftman/women - we are all on this new journay one more, we are all exploring these new hands on skills and within this meet, like all those before, we will be passing on the buck, expanding the circle.

Questions will be asked, theories will be swopped and skills will be passed on and thank god for this forum which will enable those attending to carry on the buss of the meet. long after it has happened.

Oh and I will be bringing bourbon!

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I go on holiday for a few days, stop in to check the board and there are 4 more pages of messages! :D

Malt sounds like a good idea, but I'll be bringing some 'homebrew' with me - that is a bottle or two of spiced elderberry wine from 2002/2003 and some beech leaf gin for everyone to try.

As far as food goes, I'm happy to go with the plan that everyone provides their own breakfast/lunch, but we have a communal cook-up in the evening - its just more efficient and less hassle to have one large cookpot with a big stew/curry/similar in it than 15 people each with a tiny pot. Whatever we cook can be veggie for those that are - and people who want meat can deal with that themselves. (just my tuppence worth).

I can bring a stewpot that'll probably be good for 10-15 people if thats any use...

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i only tend to have two meals a day when camping anyway. breakfast and dinner. lunch is usually just a snack (oatcakes and cheese generally)
i'm quite happy to go with the flow. finding the path of least resistance seems like a very "bushcrafti" thing to do ;)

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
MagiKelly said:
Have we officially stopped calling this the "mini" meet yet. There seems to be little "mini" anything about it .

I thought the big one was when the midgies had left and this was to work out what would be happening then.

Got to admit it sounds good, so must try and make it to the next one as if this is the "Mini Meet " I don't want to miss it. ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
match said:
I can bring a stewpot that'll probably be good for 10-15 people if thats any use...

Might be a very good idea. :)
Since we've got a fire going I think I'll bring along a dye pot and we can boil up some of the fomes fomentaria; I get the dye & the boiled softened/felted fungus can be used for firestart/ ember carrying.

Sandbender do you have stones available on site? I'm thinking bake stones and grinders and pounders.

Cheers,
Toddy

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
this "mini-meet" is looking like it might be bigger that the south wales one..........
as i'm going to both i'll be well placed to tell :D

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
An updated map, now with directions has been posted.

(Link Deleted)

Please feel fee to arrive whenever you want to, although anyone arriving too early on the Friday may be pressed into service, preppinng fires and digging latrines!

I look forward to meeting you all

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
How does a bushcraft barter/swap/sale table sound? I've got a few thing to sell or swap and maybe so have some of you. If we set up a swap table and put little lables on our stuff with what we'd like for them, we can maybe get rid of some unwanted stuff and end up with bushcraft related stuff we want. Whacha think?

Eric

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Eric_Methven said:
How does a bushcraft barter/swap/sale table sound? I've got a few thing to sell or swap and maybe so have some of you. If we set up a swap table and put little lables on our stuff with what we'd like for them, we can maybe get rid of some unwanted stuff and end up with bushcraft related stuff we want. Whacha think?

Eric

I have already looked out some of my stuff that is "free to good home" and may have a couple of things to trade. So yes a good idea.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I also have a few bits and bobs surplus to requirements. Sounds like the meet will be a remake of Noel Edmonds' Multi Coloured Swap Shop......*

Got my new archery target today. It is almost a metre square which is good for safety, but means I won't have much room left in the car for kit. Oh well. Know more, carry less.......

*Note to those born after circa 1973: refers to a popular BBC Saturday Morning Childrens Show, where kids swapped their toys with strangers. Soundly beaten in the ratings by Tiswas**.

**Too complicated to explain. Ask someone in their mid to late thirties.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
While I remember...

There is no mobile coverage at the venue, you will either have to climb a nearby hill or drive a few miles down the road to get service.

:)

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
Ref the swop/sale thing, heres a few things that might interest ;

3 red, 3 roe deer skins (will be in rawhide state, rolled up)
4 mullien stalks (for hand drill)
bundle of willow wands (for baskets etc)
basswood (strings etc)
rawhide string (3/4 inch wide to 1mm, dyed) ,plus rawhide twisted rope.
bits of sinew, hide glue
falcon/turkey feathers
bits and pieces of flint from dorset coast.

Sort of thing I am after at the mo - is celtic flora, and wood wisdom books, drawknives (thin blades) and an isolated cabin in the rockies for a month or much, much longer!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
shall bring extra bag
lm in Mull with wife & kids, midges not too bad (yet)
posting this via palm T3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE