Scotland - any recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
well I've been bitten/smitten by the fantastic Scottish environment. Approx 8 weeks ago I did the West Highland Way (obviously camping all the way etc). Just over a week ago I went up to Oldshoremore and camped around the area.

What I would really like now is a recommended area slightly south of Aviemore/Aberdeen preferably costal and/or wooded. Even better if it was reasonably close (1-2 kms) to the car so I can fetch wood/supplies etc. Would really appreciate any local knowledge of where a decent few days could be spent.

Cheers,
Rob

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
hmm maybe mid season next year in better weather, its a fair treck - what would be great is maybe a static couple of days i.e. 3 locations 6 days for example.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Scotland doesn't really have "dont camp here laws"....use yer savvy mate. you know the rules.

If you think you are imposing on someone's land, just ask...If someone says, not here, sorry. They will no doubt put you on a decent spot for the fact you had the decency to ask.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Oh there are so so many places. Where to start. If your hitting the south you have the Galloway forest park, all the woodland around Glen Trool is really nice. There are also huge areas of woodland on the Isle of Arran, which is a favourite of mine. It is basically all of Scotland in miniature. Mountainous north with wooded areas before you hit the hills. Wooded south with some little hidden lochs.

You also have the Queen Alexandria forest park, which is another massive woodland east of loch lomand. And this is all in the south west.. Go up to Perthshire / Stirlingshire and it's gods country.

There is a lovely little town called Killin on Loch Tay, again surrounded by great woodland and hills.

Then you have all the west cost past Rothesay!

Anyway. As you can imagine. Anywhere you pick has some fantastic outdoor areas. Midge season is over so it makes it bearable!

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
That was exactly the info I was looking for Steve (the locations not so much the haggis info mate lol), many thanks! Will go on trailzilla today and start to recce on the OS maps. Like I say, been up to Scotland twice now in the last 6 weeks or so, right up to SW of Cape Wrath along the coastal area and prior to that did the WHW, wild camping along the way it's a truly great country.

All the best,
Rob

kaizersoza

Trekking Troubador
Jan 12, 2014
Swansea
I love Scotland around the trossachs and the west highland way the scenery is stunning, i have heard they are banning wild camping around Loch Lomond, which is a pity, but there are loads of other places to camp for free in Scotland good luck and have a great time

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Thanks KS, I did the WHW about 8 weeks ago - the ban is seasonal I thought i.e. from early April to mid October (unless they've changed it in the last few weeks).

Brynglas

There are some lovely areas in Argyll on the West Coast, there are plenty of accessible, quiet spots within a relatively short distance from Oban. I'll second the area around Aberfoyle but an area that would be accessible is up around Loch Awe, not coastal but it's a bloody big stretch of water and a very quiet area. You shouldnt have any trouble finding somewhere to get set up as long as you use your nous.

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Thanks BG - starting to work on the wife for a pass out between Christmas & NY - not sure if the road conditions will curtail any plans its a bit early to tell yet but the aim is to get a good 3 or possibly 4 days wild camping so going to take the excellent pointers here and plan something in the coming days ;-) .

Brynglas

If you're in North Wales and Scotland is affected by weather, I don't know how well you know the area south of Machynlleth and Bala? Some great spots around the Hafren forestry are, a lot of wind turbines in some parts but you can definitely find some remote spots.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Thanks again BG - I'm actually from Bala (about 4 miles away) - do quite a lot of wild camping around the area (Arenigs/Berwyns/Aran/Cadir Idris etc) - not done any woods/hammocking around here though as most of the ones I've seen have a lot of widow makers just ready to give you a headache lol. Will definitely take a look at the Hafren forestry area tho, much appreciated :)

Oct 31, 2015
Dudley
Arisaig and malaig and morar is beautiful and a dream to camp, I've been all over Sutherland in my army days and still go back, nothing compares to it,.... Just a suggestion here, why not look up kayaking in morar or arisaig on you tube to see the white sands of morar and camp on a beach with a fire

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
Lots of wooded spots and a couple of secret bothies in the rothiemurchus/abernethy forests and surrounding areas. Be careful with fires though, I know of a couple of spots where they're possible but in a lot of spots they're either not possible or inadvisable!

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Lots of wooded spots and a couple of secret bothies in the rothiemurchus/abernethy forests and surrounding areas. Be careful with fires though, I know of a couple of spots where they're possible but in a lot of spots they're either not possible or inadvisable!

I concur with this. All the across the Northern Cairngorms is a winning place to be. Do yer fires on the River banks, by the Loch side, on stoney ground.

Aviemore is slap-bang in there, right where you want to be to explore this place... Get yer self an OS or a Harveys map and have your self a Yomp about. You'll love it.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I'm following this thread with interest. I wondered if there are good area's within an hour/ half hour train/bus ride from Glasgow? I don't mind a days hike into said area's.

Brynglas

I'd imagine that there are plenty of options up around the quieter areas of Loch Lomond/Stirling or out a little further to Argyll. I'm hoping to be going up around April/ Easter time with a bit of luck if anyone fancies meeting up.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE