Scissors in Leatherman or SAK..........why ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've never considered a SAK as an outdoor tool. More of a lifestyle companion ;).

Plus 1. And yes I've used the scissors regularly, but! But said scissors have usually only been suitable for minor tasks at best. In my FAK I carry a proper pair of bandage scissors.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I've never considered a SAK as an outdoor tool. More of a lifestyle companion ;).

Really?
I guess my "lifestyle" is almost pure Outdoors and my SAK is one of my primary tools :)
The saw and the scissors are invaluable as are the tweezers (for removing thorns etc) the tooth-pick (well - that is down to my gappy teeth I guess) can opener (fried tinned Haggis is the breakfast of Heros!), the awl, the bottle opener (last used on a bottle of Hobgolblin Gold), and the blades... the screwdrivers have little usage and as for the "general purpose hook" ... I have yet to find a use for that!
I am not sure which model I have and Cap,n Badger replaced the scales with Antler for me (replacing the toothpick with an Antler one too...) but I love her!

Apr 3, 2016
Ireland
Uses for scissors in a multitool; the majority of use of many of those tools will be as part of every day lives so the day to day tasks which are more acceptable to non knife people or just more efficient like cutting paper,trimming stray hair loose threads on clothing ect..

Outdoor uses trimming fishing line, grooming, trimming snagged fingernails and cuticles, opening mre or food packets, first aid jobs such as trimming threaded blisters which require more precision than a knife or safety.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I wouldn't have a multi-tool without scissors, probably one of the most used tools for me.

The thing that most of them don't have that I'd like to have on a tool is an Awl.

:)
The in-line awl is a great feature on the 93mm Alox models but I have modded 2 of my 91mm cellidor SAK's with an awl:

rhyan

May 19, 2009
UK
I couldn't imagine not carrying a SAK with scissors. last 33 years, everyday - they are the most useful thing.

I also love the corkscrew - lots

Either a Huntsman, Climber or a Champ - everywhere I go!

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
I carry the SAK Huntsman every day for 'social domestic and pleasure'. I do use the corkscrew. For corks. The only thing I find a bit pants is the toothpick. I don't have gaps that big between my teeth.

For work/outdoors I carry the Leatherman 300 EOD. It's only my third Leatherman in 30 years (some git cut my original Supertool out of a rucksack whilst it was going through an airport in Asia some 16 years ago) and I upgraded to the 300 last year.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Things I use the scissors on my Leathermans for:

• Cutting plaster dressing strip
  • Cutting toe/finger nails
  • Trimming round wounds
  • Cutting puncture patches for my bike inner tubes
  • Cutting fabric and thread when making repairs
  • Cutting hair

That's just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I find a pair of scissors a really useful tool.

J

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
The ballpoint pen is only available with 'plus' scales. All cellidor (plastic) scaled SAK's come with Tweezers and Toothpick but only certain models have the space for the pen.

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
Have to say I use my little leatherman squirt more in my everyday life than the outdoors but the scissors are one of my most used tools, along with the blade (for opening parcels mostly!) and the pliers for generally just grabbing hold of things.... It's always on my keyring and I love it :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The hook is great for knot pulling, paracord work, peg pulling, or as a bag carrier for handles that cut into your hands.

And for pulling the springs that hold the expansion chamber onto the cylinder of a twostroke motorcycle.

Scissors? Useful for clipping threads after repairing keks.

trade axe

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Western Canada
Liking the thread, I use the scissors a lot. But the OP hasn't been in since he posted...

I have come on a couple of times to view the replies, which I find informative. So thanks all for the insight. My views have still not changed much. About the only application that would consider scissors useful for is a the cutting/shaping a bandage or dressing. So I can see a SAK with scissors in a first aid kit. Otherwise life goes on. I am not disrespecting your views, I simply see things differently, and I still do not like scissors, any more than a corkscrew. Now the awl however, I find useful. I do not and will not "know it all" and I need to see other peoples views/experiences to fill in my blind spots. Thanks. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE