sciatic nerve pain,

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Howdy chaps,

After wrong stepping my self last night on a run, this morning while lifting the loo seat i pinged my sciatic nerve, its rendered me pretty much useless and pathetic today:eek:, just wondering if any of you guys have any good stretches I can use to work the nerve and release a bit of the tension, its a high pain so not to much of a pinch, just enough to buckle the legs when it twinges:tongue-ti:surrender:

Many thanks in advance,

Southey,

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I've had it three times over the years. Too hard to explain the exercises using my phone. Google is your friend..
If it is true sciatica..... I empathise :eek:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Cheers dude, Whats annoyed me the most is the car should be back on the road by this weekend so had planned trundle around Salisbury plain, but its only Tuesday so it might still come off:D

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I did this about 3 weeks ago and although it is not buckling pain it is very very annoying and almost permanent. I did a 10 mile trek shortly after it happened and within a mile the pain had gone for the day only for it to resume the next but as more of a dull ache. So maybe try walking it off if possible? I am away Thursday for a trek and hoping it will go away again!

Good luck!!!

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I sympathise, that's agony, it afflicts me every now and again.

Try a hot bath if you have one, or cut your leg off above the hip at the waist - you know it makes sense.

Hope it passes soon.

Liam

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
HAhahaha! I have decided to go with the amputation Liam, but which knife would you guys suggest, and what bergan to store it in, also, should i put some plastic down the protect the carpet, or will he beating from the wife be good to distract from the pain?

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Ahhh, you have to use a carbon steel Clipper or folding saw.

Blood on the carpet? Real men would sort this out in their shed.

The beating from the wife though is the perfect solution to take your mind off the pain.

As the Japanese Admiral's memo stated during WWII "The beatings will continue until moral improves among the ranks".

Liam

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I did this about 3 weeks ago and although it is not buckling pain it is very very annoying and almost permanent. I did a 10 mile trek shortly after it happened and within a mile the pain had gone for the day only for it to resume the next but as more of a dull ache. So maybe try walking it off if possible? I am away Thursday for a trek and hoping it will go away again!

Good luck!!!

Cheers matey, I got stuck on the floor for a bit this morning! if it eases up with a hot bath ill have a walk and see what happens, Its naff though isn't it, you feel kind of useless for a bit, this is the third time in 8 years, first was because i was being silly and lifting an electric pump on to a bowser the wrong way, I ended knelt by the bowser for an hour or so, when I waved at the liney he just thought I was waving and gave me the finger! hahaha, second was just after the kids were born 3 years ago, this time I think it was the run and the coughing cold we've had for the last week(bloody play schools are the biggest vector for Ebola type bugs IMO)

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Plenty of stretches for sciatic type pain if you do a search. Not all of these pains are true sciatic however, so check out symptoms for piriformis syndrome and see if any match up with your pain. I'm a martyr to upper thigh/lower back pain and over the years have been amazed at how many muscles can impact those areas! Hope your pain eases, regular stretches are good for it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a misery :sigh:
Thankfully, with care, it does heal....not that that's a lot of help at 3 am when you know you have another three hours to go before you can take any more painkillers :(

I took my 80+ Auntie to a chiropracter when her's flared. It really helped, but the Auntie decided to just sit down and not do very much and everything kind of seized up.

If mine ever goes again, I'm going to the chiropracter or a sports therapist and I'll do every exercise they advise. I'm not tholing that pain for months ever again or the afraid to move awkwardly caginess either.

Really, really hope it eases asap for you.

atb,
M

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
I was told to hang off something with your legs just dangling its supposed to be the weight of your legs stretches the spine it sometimes helps me

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
ive suffered with it for a few years now (curved spine as well) i find the only thing that eases it is exercise just simply going for a walk and for a while i did Tai chi that eased it too. I also find sleeping on a proper bed kills me some morning i can barely get up but oddly when im camping its great must be the hard floor in short of sleeping on the floor at home i dont really know what to do. All the doctor advises is keeping mobile, good luck with yours...

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
If you get any numbness (below the waist, above the neck doesn't matter) particularly toes or a tight band of it behind the knee of the affected leg, see your GP and don't be fobbed off with stretching exercises - ask to be referred straight away.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you get any numbness (below the waist, above the neck doesn't matter) particularly toes or a tight band of it behind the knee of the affected leg, see your GP and don't be fobbed off with stretching exercises - ask to be referred straight away.

I have numbness (and sometimes pain) above the waist (my finger) My Dr. has diagnosed neuropothy (which if left untreated can lead to eventual amputation) So even above the waist isn't something to ignore.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Sciatica is not the worst I have encountered, I have spondylosis which compresses the root nerves to my arms. It is a pain, both literally and metaphorically, and the best exercise I have found for it is swimming. I have thought that I am too stiff and painful even to get in but at the end of the session I always feel better.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Hi there, I'm a qualified Sports Massage Therapist but can't accept any responsibility if you further injure yourself by doing the following - it's effective though.... It's a modified figure 4 stretch:

1) Stand with your back & shoulders against a smooth wall.

2) If you've a definite sore side, take hold of your ankle or lower shin & bring your leg up until your shin is in a horizontal position above the knee of your standing leg.

3) Keep your head up, your back & shoulders against the wall & SLOWLY slide down the wall in a slight squat on your standing leg until you feel the stretch across your Gluteous Maximus - Bum cheek to the unqualified!!! You may want to have a chair back in front of you for support.

4) STOP when you feel the stretch & DO NOT BOUNCE in this position. Hold for 10 seconds, return to pre squat starting position & repeat as many times as you're comfortable the the strength in your standing leg holding out. If it gives out on you whilst doing this you'll bugger yourself up bigstyle....

You can also try this laying flat on your back - not as effective but safer if you're worried about the strength of your standing leg.

The above is also a good stretch for any Piriformis problems. Give me a shout if I can help. Cheers

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
My ex used to have sciatica. I found the most effective way of helping ease it was to "crack" her back.

Basically you stand up with a mate stood behind you, you raise your arms and he puts his arms round your chest in a kind of bear hug, relax your arms. He then leans back as far as he can, and should just lift your feet from the floor while arching your spine backwards. If it works you will feel your back crack/crunch, its a very weird feeling. When done you will feel so relaxed and loose you will be wondering why you've never done it before ;)

Basically what it does is stretch the spine along its length and allow any trapped nerves to come free. Its a trick i learned in the Legion, god knows why physios dont do it as it works so well.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2011
Republic of Yorkshire
Wheat bags! Get a proper long one (without Lavender if possible) hot as you can and try to find the best position for it - I find its along the arch of my pelvis on the affected side. Heat is your friend!

As a side note; If you are ever in a car accident and end up on a gurney in A&E with one of those neck braces on, be very careful about telling them when your sciatica plays up.
I ended up on my side with my trousers round my knees and some young chap with his thumb where the sun doesn't shine. I think they were all too young to know why I started singing 'Moon River'.
Apparently it's to make sure you can still 'clench' to test for lumbar spine damage - though he was smiling when he explained!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE