sciatic nerve pain,

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
though most Doc's are pretty useless were bad backs are concerned.

I understand your frustration. There are probably dozens of possible causes for any individual back pain. And hence it may take a doc a while to narrow yours down. But like Rik says, they'll refer you to someone who can and you (and the doc) will probably need to be persistent. But if you don't go, they can't even start looking for the cause.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I feel your pain (thankfully not in a literal way any more). I suffered from sciatica for close to three years before a consultant surgeon found the root cause which turned out to be a herniated disc. One swift op later and I was back top my old self. Don't be fobbed off by GP's. Get in to see a consultant asap.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A quick question here (especially for Rik UK) Are chiropractors common there? Are they recognized by the NHS?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It is sometimes available via the NHS but only for one or two conditions IIRC and it depends if your local NHS trust funds it. The vast majority of folk pay for private sessions.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sounds similar to here then. Just substitute "insurance" for "NHS." Although the free public health services (Medicare and/or Medicaid) will pay for it if referred by an MD. My daughter was referred while she was pregnant with her second child.

I feel your pain (thankfully not in a literal way any more). I suffered from sciatica for close to three years before a consultant surgeon found the root cause which turned out to be a herniated disc. One swift op later and I was back top my old self. Don't be fobbed off by GP's. Get in to see a consultant asap.

Literally I can understand your pain unfortunately - much the same situation as you Mick, got an MRI done, went in to see the consultant on the Monday to get MRI results and was admitted straight into hospital on the Monday and operated on on the Tuesday - sadly I've been left with permanent damage to the nerves, with chronic neuropathic pain & severe sciatica down both legs, worse on the right though...seeing as that was 2 and a half years ago, the chance of the nerves recovering now is slim to none.

This was my scan; hope it shows up ok -

304095_10150428734249428_2545765_n.jpg

Now I'm extremely depressed, as there's a lot I've had to give up - rock climbing, long distance hiking, diving, etc. etc. I've gotten to the point that I'm ridiculously keen to get back out into the middle of nowhere as it's the only 'release' I have from the urban jungle and politics that are strangling the country!

I thought it was hopeless...

UNTIL I watched a youtube video about hammocking - something I'd never even given a second thought to - lots of people have testified that using a hammock can be easier on your back...and all of a sudden, forests, hills and camping were looking like they could be within my reach again!

So, I've ordered a TW green hornet hammock with uprated tougher fabric for the dog's claws lol...just looking about to get a tarp and I should be good to go - I'm hoping to start doing a video diary thingie on youtube regarding disability and wild camping - the thought of it being more accessible to people like me that love being out in the wild but thought it would never be possible - it could be a lifesaver - literally! If it all goes well, I'll be booking tickets for my Aunt, Cousin and I for BushMoot 2014!

Watch this space :)

:hammock:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I understand your sadness wildwillycamper before Christmas I went to the gym 3 to 4 days a week lifting weights, 2 times a week I walked approx 10 miles I also had recently done a 30,and 50mile walk,then I was rushed to hospital on Christmes eve and didn't get out till the 3rd of Jan, I have after 2 MRI scans a CT scan,and 2 nasal scopes been diagnosed with Laryngeal nerve damage caused probably caused by a virus, it's symptoms are the most intense stabbing pains,and at the same time like being choked to death, at one stage I had 14 attacks in one day I've lost 21 lbs in weight a lot of muscle I still can't do any training, I get what I can only describe as electric shocks in my throat randomly throughout the day and basically spend my time lying on the sofa, to say I'm down is a understatement, I'm pretty much at rock bottom,I'm waiting for a test to assess the nerve to see what damage has been done,which I had to push for,my hospital treatment to me was shoddy at best,basically just sent home and left to live with it,

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Damn Andy......here I am with boy-flu , feelin fed up . Thas just put me in my place.
Hope your recovery comes swiftly fella and you get back to yer old Sen .

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Good god Andy :( sounds like you've had ridiculously abysmal treatment...why is it anything to do with nerves you have to push and push to get any form of treatment, and even then they drag their feet?

Really hoping you can get your test soon and perhaps a course of treatment to ease your symptoms :(

It's really not fun ~having~ to lie on the settee or on your bed, most folk think it would be great but in tradeoff of a really hard day's work or being forced to sit/lie still I know I'd choose the latter - I'm not the Jeremy Kyle sort and abhor not having the choice.

Feel for you, crossing my fingers something can be done for you! :stretcher:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Sorry about name mix up Wwc, Chiseller, I would kill to swap this with a bout of flu,had a good chat with a mate of mine yesterday and it picked me up somewhat, also managed a hours walk this morn though I did get a spasm whilst on it,and a couple during my dinner tonight,it's not so much them that get me down though like I said electric shocks (what they feel like) it the fact that every time I get one I think is it going to lead to the pain and choking that put me in hospital,and put on morphine! I never mentioned but I can only eat and drink Luke warm food and drink to hot or cold set off the spasms,as does swallowing and talking all at random times, it's certainly done its best for now of wrecking all the things I enjoyed.

Seriously, no offense taken - I thought it was quite funny...gave me a giggle which is what I need sometimes, so don't apologise, thankyou! :dancer:

:( it's hellish reading what you're going through, disabilities have a way of stripping your enjoyment of certain activities, and it's usually the most active people that suffer the most - wishing you all the best mate...thinking about you :sadwavey:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE