sciatic nerve pain,

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Nice blog. I damaged my L1 and L5 in 2003. I now have radio de-nervation once a year. I use 2 x 100mgh fentanyl patches and oral morphine. I'm still in constant chronic back pain. My most valuable form of pain relief is a hot water bottle. Unlike you I do like car camping, I have a 4 wheel drive LWB Ford Transit County minibus/Campervan conversion with a very good/ firm memory foam queen-size permanent mattress/bed in the back and wheelchair access ramps to the rear of the vehicle. I still like to sit out by the fire to cook/socialize etc. I unexpectedly found that hammocks are very comfortable to sleep in. I wish you every success with your camping. pm me if you update your blog, its inspirational.

Nice blog. I damaged my L1 and L5 in 2003. I now have radio de-nervation once a year. I use 2 x 100mgh fentanyl patches and oral morphine. I'm still in constant chronic back pain. My most valuable form of pain relief is a hot water bottle. Unlike you I do like car camping, I have a 4 wheel drive LWB Ford Transit County minibus/Campervan conversion with a very good/ firm memory foam queen-size permanent mattress/bed in the back and wheelchair access ramps to the rear of the vehicle. I still like to sit out by the fire to cook/socialize etc. I unexpectedly found that hammocks are very comfortable to sleep in. I wish you every success with your camping. pm me if you update your blog, its inspirational.

I'm really glad car camping works for you, for me it just didn't work but go for it! :) It's good to hear a hammock was helpful to you as well, as it just adds to the amount of people that have endorsed it for back problems - I guess I just want to be able to inform people that it's not the end of the world and it can be possible to go out into the wild with a disability :)

Thankyou so much for your kind words, I don't think I've ever been complimented with being called inspirational before! :thankyou: I'll be sure to pm you :)

Quick question, do you use matrix or reservoir patches? I only ask as I've noticed a difference between the two and find the reservoir patches a lot more effective for my pain - what is radio de-nervation? Does it help? I'm waiting to get an appointment through for lidocaine infusions at the hospital.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Quick question, do you use matrix or reservoir patches? I only ask as I've noticed a difference between the two and find the reservoir patches a lot more effective for my pain - what is radio de-nervation? Does it help? I'm waiting to get an appointment through for lidocaine infusions at the hospital.
I have tried both reservior and matrix type over the years and found no difference. I did reduce the day rate from 72 hour patch to 36 hour patch and found my skin tolerated the shorter skin contact time. I believe that the matrix has been introduced in Europe as opposed to the reservoir patch which is widely used in the USA. Reservoir patches have been known to be abused by junkies worldwide when they found a way to extract the fentanyl from the patch and either ingested/smoked or injected the released fentanyl. It is harder to abuse the matrix patch and promoted in Europe for this reason, but not for this reason alone. I have included a link to explain radiofrequency denervation. http://www.coccyx.org/medabs/hall.htm

I have tried both reservior and matrix type over the years and found no difference. I did reduce the day rate from 72 hour patch to 36 hour patch and found my skin tolerated the shorter skin contact time. I believe that the matrix has been introduced in Europe as opposed to the reservoir patch which is widely used in the USA. Reservoir patches have been known to be abused by junkies worldwide when they found a way to extract the fentanyl from the patch and either ingested/smoked or injected the released fentanyl. It is harder to abuse the matrix patch and promoted in Europe for this reason, but not for this reason alone. I have included a link to explain radiofrequency denervation. http://www.coccyx.org/medabs/hall.htm

Thanks for the link didicoy - I wonder if I'm needing switched to 48 or 36hr changes as I'm finding I get withdrawal type symptoms on the third day of the patch...need to speak to my doctor about it.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Old threads never die they only fade away until the need arises at which point they do too. I only remembered last night reading this thread a long time ago. I really recommend that search box!

I've been pinned down by sciatica for nearly 5 weeks, unable to get out of the house without pain. It's not the pain I mind, it's the lack of independence and not being able to walk any distance. Reading all the above posts is helpful: thank you all contributors. I don't know whether to be encouraged or depressed, but I'll try some of the suggested exercises.

Failing that, I'll bear in mind the amputation suggestion, it couldn't be more painful than the sciatica, but should I use the Bahco Laplander or use it as an excuse tp invest in a Silky?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Heartfelt sympathies :sigh:
I slid on ice, fell, and cracked my tailbone, and in saving that a week later I slipped two discs and nipped the sciatic nerve. I honestly do not think I have ever been in such pain. Pain that there was no way to move out of, or find peace from, not even drugs worked 24/7.

The only saving grace is that we do heal….eventually, and we get really, really, really, good at not doing it again !

Hope it settles well and quickly for you.

M

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Heartfelt sympathies :sigh:

Likewise.

I've had this horror for a couple of weeks or more and it has noticeably worsened this past day or two.

I was seen by an osteopath yesterday and he reckoned that my lower spine is too straight and the discs in that area are compressed to perhaps half their normal thickness. He gave me a couple of exercises which I've been doing & which seem to give some temporary relief;

1, Lie on back & bring both knees up until you can get your hands round them, then pull the knees as far up to your chest as you can. Then back to arms length again. repeat 15 or 20 times, 3 or 4 times a day.

2, Lie on back with knees bent, then swing both knees together as far as you can to one side then over the other way as far as you can. Again repeat 15 or 20 times, 3 or 4 times a day

At the moment I can eventually get more or less comfortable on my back lying straight (so long as I don't move.) Standing, sitting & walking is pain and the Tramadol is less effective than it did a week ago.
Looks like my trip to Fabworks in Dewsbury is out the window for the time being, Mary. :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Give yourself the time and opportunity to heal Ian; it's a miserable damned thing to thole is the sciatica.
I hope it clears up asap.

M

I was off work with sciatica for 10 weeks last year, physio didn't help neither did the drugs they put me on but slow walking in flat ground just a little each day seemed to help the most, it will go away in time but it just leaves you feeling helpless while you have it.

rickwhite

Aug 7, 2014
Cheshire, UK
Try googling "sciatic nerve flossing". I've used that technique and found that it provided relief and improvement over a period. Its a way of "flossing" the nerve through the various "holes" in your body that it passes through to free it up from whatever's pinching it

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I'm pleased to say that the serious pain let up about a month ago and I was able to stop the pain relief altogether about a week later. It's improving all the time. I still have weird sensations in my leg now and then but nothing untoward. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE