Scandi knife - first knife of this year and a gift for a friend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
This is my first knife of the year from start to finish - I have others that I began last year, but this one is the first of 2011 in that I started work on it on January 2nd.

A friend of mine was very ill over Christmas with pneumonia, and he is still rattling when he coughs. He wants to get out and about and he asked me to take him up to the Scottish Borders this weekend for some shooting but I am concerned that he just isn't up to it yet, so I made this one for him to cheer him up:

scandi-1.jpg

scandi-2.jpg

scandi-3.jpg

scandi-4.jpg

Forged A2 blade, 3.5mm thick, soaked in liquid nitrogen for 24 hours after the first 2 hour tempering cycle and then tempered another twice for 2 hours each time after that.

Rockwell tested at 61 :D

Exhibition grade Masur Birch handle with thin Ebony and Sterling Silver spacers and a bleeched bone on the handle. I soaked the handle for a week in a mixture of Danish and Tung oil and then buffed over it with a soft cloth and a dab of beeswax :D

Traditional Scandi sheath made by yours truly (I hate leatherworking).

Instead of pushing things when my mate is feeling so scuppered I figured we'd do some whittling and make arrows and stuff instead, which should give him the chance to play with his new knife and should also ensure that he doesn't over-tire himself while he's still feeling ropey.

I am not asked to make Scandi knives as often as I would like, so this was an opportunity to indulge myself as well as to try and lift my friend's spirits a little.

I hope he likes it.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I like it as well, very tasteful, the leather looks good.
Tell you what, I'll be your friend as well, and I'm definitely not well at the moment.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Superb looking knife and sheath! I'm sure he'll be over the moon with such a personal gift!
I had pneumonia a few fears ago and it was the most painful experience of my life! The pains lasted 6 months after i was given the all clear.

Darren.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
That sure is a thing of beauty.I'd say your friend is one very special individual and I'm sure that this will help his recovery no end.
I wish him well as pneumonia is a total wipeout for a couple of months at least.I found Hammam baths a big help after I had it : I was a smoker then too so took ages to get my breath back.
Have fun whittling.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Thats really very nice,,,

i like the fit of the bolster and generally just the line and proportions of it,.....

i love making things with a recipient in mind,....

even with no spec from the person,, its still evolves easier than a build for ones self,..

welll done,...i hope your mate makes a good recovery

Stu

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I think the lines are spot on, and combined with the traditional materials its a winner. Nice job.

Bet your mates well chuffed with the knife and you spending time with him.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
A nice little knife and your friend will be happy with it.
one thing I suggest is that you burnish the edges of belt loop to tidy them up ie just dampen them and rub with a smooth object to smooth out the fluffy bits.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
oh very nice, i like the handle what is it?

The handle material is Masur Birch, sometimes known as Karelian Birch Burl.

The patterns in the timber are caused by beetle larvae and it is a very popular handle material for traditional Scandinavian knives.

I am in Norway two or three times most years and I hand pick my Masur Birch pieces myself when I am over there and then send them off to be stabilised. I don't stabilise all of the material I get - I am quite happy for my own Masur Birch handled knives to be soaked for a week or two in a Tung/Danish oil mix and rubbed over every now and then with a soft cloth and a small dab of beeswax. Sometimes I treat them with a warmed home made mix of bees wax, turpentine and boilded linseed oil, in equal parts, with a generous amount of very finely powdered pine pitch thrown in for good measure. This really darkens the material and brings out some truly stunning colours and patterns. Most customers want stabilised wood though, which is why I get much of my material treated that way.

I have a lot of time for stabilised timber in the right environment but, to my mind, you sacrifice a lot of opportunity to really mix things up with how you finish out a knife handle by using stabilised woods. I don't usually like to have timber dyed when getting it stabilised (I like natural materials) and unless you repeatedly subject your knife to extremes of heat, cold and massive variations in humidity there is nothing wrong with the more traditional materials and finishes which, in most cases, can look truly beautiful. One advantage is that as the knife ages the handle continues to evolve and change through use and ongoing maintenance.

Natural timber and a good, traditional finish for knife handles works for me every time. Seems to have worked for everyone else for long enough, until a reliable form of stabilising timber came along...

:D

Thanks again everyone, for your very kind words :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE