Save a crows foot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mayor

Jun 10, 2009
Sweden
Hello dear BCUK! I was thinking about keeping a crow foot i found. I havent really decided what im going to use it for exactly, some sort of decoration i guess.

But how do i preserve it?
Do i have to treat it with something so it wont smell or rot? Can i use something from my household?

aarya

Oct 5, 2006
Norway
Mix salt and baking soda in a plastic bag, pop the foot into it, let it sit for a week or two, it`ll be preserved.
I`ve done the same with the feet off a bird that died from hitting the window. Works a treat!

Edit:
The salt is what does alot of the dehydration, the baking soda will help, along with removing any odour that might be there.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I saved two crows feet last year and still have them. they are..erm...just stood on the bookshelf really! I never did figure out a use for them. necklace maybe?

I presevered them when out camping, first I tried to tie them to a peice of wood to keep the foot flat but I didnt do it tight enough and as it dried it curled. I then just dangled them from a tree and put alcohol hand gel on the legs where they were cut. after 2 days it had little maggots in it so I dont know if that worked or not. I then dangled them over the fire on string for several hours and all the creepy crawlies abandoned ship. The feet were preserved almost perfect. I sugest skipping my mistakes and go straight to smoking.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Mix salt and baking soda in a plastic bag, pop the foot into it, let it sit for a week or two, it`ll be preserved.
I`ve done the same with the feet off a bird that died from hitting the window. Works a treat!

Was she a Blonde??:D

aarya

Oct 5, 2006
Norway
Was she a Blonde??:D

She might`ve been! :lmao: :lmao:

Also, firecrest reminded me of something i did too. Smoke!
I made a small smoking chamber, and smoked the claws for a few hours aswell.
They now dangle proudly from the rearview mirror in my Toyota Corolla, along with a few of its feathers.
(I know, i really should have a pickup truck if i am to display parts of animals.) :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE