Sauna Stones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
I hope this is in the right section.

Today I approximated a pretty good sauna in a cheap pop up tent. I have Identified a couple improvements, first and foremost is the stones.

I am of the understanding that I should be looking for certain Ignious rocks, whats likely the best I will find in the UK and where should I be looking? Or should I just buy some Finnish rocks?

Oh and it works pretty well, just had a lovely sage scented sauna in the back garden.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Absolutely, a sauna is a great way to bathe!
Granite, diorite is what is used in the Nordic countries.
Not sure if you can get them locally?

In worst case you can ask a stone mason ( doing kitchen tops) for offcuts, have them in the bottom and cover with prettier naturally shaped stones.

How does the heating source look like?

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
I had to heat in a pit and transport the stones which was not ideal. I plan to make a more perminent solution.

Im thinking long term it would be nice to have a stove that both heats the stones/sauna and an adjacent hot tub via a copper coil.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If you make a stove make the it so it is quite wide on top, maybe 1.5 to 2 foot. You want a wide layer of stones and msybe 1 .5 foot deep.
I am recalling the wood fired saunas I have been in.
I built my own sauna back in Sweden, I used a thick steel firebox and layered Tulikivii stone bricks on top. It is a Finnish stone, Magnesit Talcum mineral.

I think it is called soapstone?

Last edited:

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
As I understand it, the stones are to store heat. The type of stone doesn't really matter. Go for what is close to you (and use a lot - my sauna holds 30 x 30 x 60 cm of stones. It is a smallish sauna)

Greger

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Some stones crack and break up when you pour water on them. Lime stone for example.

Confirmed, i got one to shatter into about 4 pieces. Not sure what kind it was.... But what I would have called a "ducker stone" back in Stoke....... Quartzite if I had to guess.

When it cracked it also let off a slight sulphur odour which is when I stopped and started thinking about improvements.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Yes, but for a pop-up tent I'd go with whatever. The Tullikivi set-up would be above and beyond

Thats true. I had never heard of a Tulikivi before but they look great!

Perhaps one day it would be possible for me to build a wooden sauna and go to such luxuries, but not any time soon.

I think for now I need to concentrate on improving an improvised one. I need to insulate better, so my initial thought's other than better stones is:

1 a slab under the heat source to stop the ground stealing too much heat.

2: Thicker tent material, some heavy weight cotton tarp lined with mylar?

3: an improvised small frontier stove of some sort, perhaps an ammo can or a small propane bottle?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you insulate well you might need to take a lot more care over carbon monoxide.

Look up sweat lodges, uk, and you'll come across all sorts of bender type things with assorted heating/stones, etc.,

Fun :)

M

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I would be even more cautious about exploding stones in a tent. Maybe test burn them first outside.
A bursting stone is no fun!
Yes! Especially the cryptocrystalline and quartzite type such as flint and/or chert.

They can explode , and if so , those little fragments are like shards of glass .

Those are mostly sedimentary , but i think even the igneous rocks such as obsidian can be "explosive" under extreme temperatures...

So best do a bit of homework before!👍

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE