Sap tapping bits? - a kinda group buy.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
ALL GONE!

After ages of looking for drill bits suitable for boring small holes in birch trees to tap the sap I found these drills at my local tool supplier in the bargain bin. Now as I had a long job of finding any last spring that were less than a tenner I assume others will have encountered similar problems!

So for the good of all my friends here I bought up all they had to pass on at cost (hence the 'a kinda group buy' title)

hpim0624hh5.jpg

the sizes are....

8mm 5/16" - sold to mayfly
10mm 3/8" - sold To Dougster
10mm 3/8" - sold to British Red
13mm 1/2" - reserved for Mang
16mm 5/8" - sold To Dougster
16mm 5/8" - sold to British Red

I have found that a simple hole bored in a stout branch nd the bit then hammered in (they have tapered square ends) gives a remarkably secure and simple handle.

The small ones were £1.50 and the large ones £2.00 so with P&P and PP how does £2.00 and £2.50 sound?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Could I take a 16mm and a 10mm please Graham?

If you pm me your PayPal addy I'll get the cash straight over to you

Red

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
They are intended for a brace mate so yes! - what size do you want - i'll put them by ;)

and pp sent Red!:)

Mang

Settler
Can I reserve the 13mm one please-The only reason I say reserve is that I don't quite understand the brace and hammered in bit!!

Once you've drilled I take it you hammer the bit in as it forms a spout and leave it in until you've got enough sap and then remove it somehow.

Yes, I've made myself sound thick!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mang

What Graham meant was you can mount the bit into a branch and use it like a scotch eyed augur (without a drill - just a wooden handle).

Red

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Sorry Chris on the small one (8mm left) - do you want that one?

Red pretty much explained it Mang - you cut a hole in the stick half way along its length then 'hammer' it onto the blunt end of the bit to make a T shape.

If this still dosn't make sence i'll try to take a piccie if you want (it will be of my 'old' rig which is has a steel pipe now insted of the branch though)

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I thought people would appreciate this but diddn't expect them to go so fast! - I'll keep an eye out for more if anyone else is interested! ;)

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi dave 53 here my 1" scotch auger arrived yesterday so went up the woods by me accross the road to try it out success tasted lovely gave some to my nabours 3year old he loved it get em young i say
regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE