Salamander firesteel pass around

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Is anyone interested in participating in another salamander firesteel pass around?

Lets say minimum of 5 people this time. Similar rules as before: must be a member of good standing with a minimum of 500 posts or 1 years membership. Open to over 18's only!!!!!!

The striker must be posted RMSD to the next person on the list. Last time the guys had it for 4 days, I don't think there were any complaints for that time period. Obviously I'd like everyone to get it for a weekend but that gets a bit impractical.

all participants must pm me their contact details and address!

This is the latest model with the prototype kydex sheath. The sheath is a work in progress so I know it's a little rough.
dscn2723m.jpg

dscn2725y.jpg

I'll supply enough flint to get you guys going. Though I have little/no tinder.

I get back on shore in about 10 days, which is plenty of time to get a list sorted.

Any questions please ask.

Cheers
Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Exactly as Mesquite says, it is a knife as well as a firesteel. The blade may only be one inch or so long but that isn't the point.

The blade is designed to scrape tinder into a fluff, and at a push create feather sticks. It's not a survival knife or anything like that.

At a meet I'd gladly let anyone who wanted a go play with it but I'm afraid when it comes to posting it to people I've not met, it has to be over 18's only.

Cheers
Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Fine by me mate, it's 500posts or membership over 1year and over 18. So that's cool.

List
Simon
Mesquite
Drliamski

Just add your names to the list if you want in and fit the criteria.

drliamski, pm me your address please.

cheers

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
All pm's received thus far. That's the minimum 5 names I wanted.

Anyone else that meets the criteria should feel free to sign up.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Back ashore, missed the post today and I've got to go to Aberdeen for training tomorrow. Will get the gf to post to Simon ASAP.

Cheers

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
If I'm not too late to the party ?
(And if I qualify. I know I haven't been around for a while, but I'm back now)

Am I correct that you'd like feedback ?

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Forgecorvus, not to late bud, this is a rolling pass around. Pm me your address.
Cheers.

Andy

Edit, I'm very concerned I won't have Internet at all where I'm going for the next month. Please be prepared to pm each other your address.

Last edited:

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Well, I collected the set from the Sorting Office last night.

I don't know why, but I expected the steel to be bigger....

1d8d6d658a336c9742ec9d376b105ec2.jpg

Despite my big hands, the steel was easy to hold and manipulate and after a couple of practice strikes, I was getting a nice shower of sparks, so I dug out my own fire steel set and some char cloth.

On the first strike, a spark landed on the char cloth...

5b64a0d6657ea33ebf6064c5a93569e0.jpg

...Success!

Im out with a different Explorer Scout Unit on Saturday, so will take this for them to play with, alongside my usual fire lighting gear and will report back.

Simon

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE