Salamander firesteel pass around

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
None. As far as I'm aware it's with Dave53. I've pm'd him though he's not been online for over a week.

Cheers

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Received today :thumbup: first impression? I need two! Maybe three!!! Just had a little play, over the sink and managed to catch some good sparks onto a piece of scraped card held on top of the flint. I'll have a proper use tomorrow to start a fire. I reckon I could use it to carefully skin and fluff some paper birch and light a fire with it.

I reckon I'd like one this size, and two very slightly larger for an edc on my neck and key ring. Perhaps a nice wetform leather sheaf for the neckwear.

Infact I reckon I could use five!!!! No six!!!!!! That means I could put another in my tin and give one to swmbo and chiseller iii :thumbup:

I'm thinking tadpole more than salamander ......but that could just be our Billy talking ;)

Give me a couple of days to use and I'll send on.

Mac ....Thanks for lighting up the evening....so to speak. You've made a very tidy creation :cool::thumbup::thumbup:

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Chiseller popped round this evening, and brought the salamander steel and flint.

An impressive little beast. Very near and tidy, thoroughly impressed, although I have to agree, a fractionally larger steel would be perfect in my hands. ;)

Again, a play over the sink gave brilliant sparks. When used with a piece of good charcloth, we had ignition on the first strike. Very impressed. :cool:

If you plan on selling any in the future, please put me on the list. :thumbup::thumbup:

touched by nature

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Aye, YOU did lol, I managed to slash my thumb with the flint first time lol.

Glad you're getting on well with it Chis. Flint can be a right bar steward like that some times - on the plus side it's supposed to do less tissue damage than steel. ;)

I did actually have a wet formed leather sheath on the very first Salamander as a result of the first pass around however my leather working skills are far from the best and making an "in use" sheath seemed a bit beyond me. Though I'm sure it could be done.

I'm on the rigs just now but we're waiting for the weather to chill out before we can get back to it so I'll play around with designs for a larger version.

Cheers guys

All the best
Andy

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Morning Andy, salamander born of mythology it is then ;) Nowt wrong wi that. Its not the first or be last time flint has marked me. Wicked stuff.
size wise, I was thinking perhaps an extra inch overall. Reckon it would be a practical neck carry.
I've read pm and will forward on once I've had a proper use and lit a fire or two. Should be with the next lucky participant for the weekend :thumbup:
Cheers :cool:

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I've got it ... after not realising I'd got it !!! :11doh: 4 days to play and then on to next person, is that right? This is my first pass-around.

That's right Elen, I had it longer than 4days though :eek: did you find the info cards hidden behind the label?

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
You'll be sending it to forgecorvus, we skipped over him because he'd not been online in ages, though I've received word he's still interested. I'll pm you his address.
Cheers
Andy

Elen Sentier

Hi all, the firesteel+kit is going in the post Monday or Tuesday (depending on what Hubby can do with me having foot op [again!] on Mon). Sorry I've had it a bit long

Good. I lit the woodburning stove several times with it-plus-charcloth. As I have distored hands (from the RA) I would get on a little better with one a bit larger, so my claws could hold and grip it better, but I like it :)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Glad you got on well with it Elen. Chis was interested in a larger version too.
i'll try and get something knocked up when I'm back on shore.

Its about 2.5" long just now isn't it. Would 4" be big enough do you think?

We'd be venturing into neck knife territory there.

Cheers.
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE