Salamander firesteel pass around

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Incidentally this pass around is now closed to new players.

There are two more persons on the list. Forgecorvus and Will Bowden. I will not be accepting any new names to the list.

Cheers

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
A few quick ideas for a larger version.

Thoughts? Opinions?
image.jpg

cheers

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I wouldn't change it at all. The problem with size of the pass around is the sheath.
The one you made for me has a wider and longer sheath meaning I can use the steel against flint while in the sheath. I only remove it to use as a blade or fluff up birch bark or tinder fungus.
This is without a doubt the best fire steel ive used.
mu5u3azu.jpg

5azygy2e.jpg

touched by nature

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers mate. It looks good in the hand. I'll play around with the sheath too when I get time.

All the best
Andy

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
hi, ive been hibernating a while but before i went into dormancy i was wondering how to choose a fire steel. i have just found this thread and really like the idea of this 2 in 1 steel and would love to have a go if i may please. i will pm my address with crossed fingers.

ive been around a while but prob not made enough posts to qualify..... i tend to lurk and learn but promise feedback

Elen Sentier

Hopefully the next person has it today ??? Sent off recorded yesterday.

Mac, to reply to your question, Mrs Ffumble-Ffingers here needs about 3" long and a gap of a good inch to get the fingers through. I can't grip well because of the RA so need to be able to get the fingers through to hold it, for sure, for striking. As long as I could keep hold of it it was good to use, got a spark in the charcloth and into the nest and lit the stove 3 times. I did drop it several times though and nearly smashed the fingers of the other hand when the whole caboudle came apart as I lost the grip on the steel and tried to rescue it - as you do! Hubby (of course) thought it was funny ... the air got rather blue !!!

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Glad to hear you got on well with it Elen. Hadn't designed the handle to get your fingers through it originally though it would be very easy to change that.
The conundrum is that if the handle is too fat, then it will interfere with the blade. I'll think it over tonight.

Forgecorvus has pm'd me that it has arrived.
Cheers

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Yep, got it

Had a quick fondle of it... Feels nice in hand (I already use a finger steel thats a little smaller, so I'm used to that technique)

Its rather dull ATM, is that because its supposed to be or due to the extensive testing its had ?..... If its the second reason I'll wave it at my 600 grit a bit

Got to cook some more charcloth before I can try it for real

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
It wasn't shaving sharp when it left so I imagine it could do with a going over. Crack on mate.

Cheers

Elen Sentier

Glad to hear you got on well with it Elen. Hadn't designed the handle to get your fingers through it originally though it would be very easy to change that.
The conundrum is that if the handle is too fat, then it will interfere with the blade. I'll think it over tonight.

Forgecorvus has pm'd me that it has arrived.
Cheers

Glad it's got to the next place.

I can understand a little about the handle being fat - am getting an image. Looking fwd to seeing/hearing more of your answers to the conundrum :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Andy ?
Thon wee knife you made me ? the little one that proved an excellent necker/pocket knife ? It looks very much like a forerunner of this steel.
Would it work with the fero rod ?
I'm reluctant to use it with flint because that does wear down the metal.

atb,
Mary

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Toddy, if its got a hard, sharp corner it'll throw from a ferro..... I've had reasonable results from brass on firesteel

Some of the line-drawings look like medieval all steel knives....I'm looking for a picture

ETA Here you go
th

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Andy ?
Thon wee knife you made me ? the little one that proved an excellent necker/pocket knife ? It looks very much like a forerunner of this steel.
Would it work with the fero rod ?
I'm reluctant to use it with flint because that does wear down the metal.

atb,
Mary

I guess it was in a way. Though I must be honest I really can't remember how I heat treated it...

Should work fine for a ferro rod I should think, though I don't think I hardened the spine so flint probably wouldn't work with it anyway.

Rather glad you're getting on well with that wee knife! :approve:

As far as I can tell - a rather fat (wide) version of the bottom blade I've sketched above seems to be the way to go for a *fingers through* style handle. that way there should still be enough space for the blade to do its job.

All the best
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE