Rosebay Willowherb cordage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Digging up this thread again.... ;)

I had a shot at making rosebay cordage yesterday, and had fairly reasonable success. Rather than using a wilted stem as Toddy suggests, I used a fresh flowering green one. I removed the leaves, bashed the stem to break up the woody insides a bit, split it lengthwise using my thumbnail (didn't do a great job of this stage, but I reckon with practice it would be easy), then flattened the stem and removed the pith (thumbnail again). The woody inner then separates from the outer skin quite easily, just by bending it backwards over the edge of something. I managed to get maybe 18-24 inches of continuous length, and it would've been more if I'd made a better job of splitting the stem in the first place. Twisted it green - it's quite sticky, which makes it twist nicely. The dried cordage seems fairly strong, apart from my bad splicing. ;)

I reckon it's got potential with a bit of practice. Maybe using it young and green is the trick...

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
gregorach said:
Digging up this thread again.... ;)

I had a shot at making rosebay cordage yesterday, and had fairly reasonable success. Rather than using a wilted stem as Toddy suggests, I used a fresh flowering green one. I removed the leaves, bashed the stem to break up the woody insides a bit, split it lengthwise using my thumbnail (didn't do a great job of this stage, but I reckon with practice it would be easy), then flattened the stem and removed the pith (thumbnail again). The woody inner then separates from the outer skin quite easily, just by bending it backwards over the edge of something. I managed to get maybe 18-24 inches of continuous length, and it would've been more if I'd made a better job of splitting the stem in the first place. Twisted it green - it's quite sticky, which makes it twist nicely. The dried cordage seems fairly strong, apart from my bad splicing. ;)

I reckon it's got potential with a bit of practice. Maybe using it young and green is the trick...

Hey - thanks for digging this up again. I did the same as you pretty much - keep meaning to put photos up...I made nettle string at the same time for comparison. Nettle still seems to have the edge for strength, but the Rosebay Willowherb is certainly very serviceable. I made about 4 metres of it, I think. I'll put up those photos this evening!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nicely done folks :) Did it ply up again to make good rope? Some not so good strings, like daffodil, make excellent handling ropes.

Cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I didn't try it, but it seems quite promising. What I've got at the moment is more like a heavy sewing thread - about 1mm diameter, maybe less. Quite springy though.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Hi Toddy - I haven't tried to make rope, but here's some photos of what I did:

Picked some Rosebay Willowherb:
001%20Rosebay%20Willowherb.jpg

Stripped the leaves off (tried not to pull too much of the outer skin off the stem whilst doing this!)
002%20Stripped%20the%20leaves%20off.jpg

Very lightly crushed the stems (they don't need much)
003%20Crush%20the%20stems%20slightly.jpg

Split the stem using a thumbnail (makes it easier to remove the outer skin)
004%20Split%20the%20stem%20using%20a%20thumbnail.jpg

Peel the outer skin off the stem
005%20Remove%20the%20outer%20layer.jpg

Hang the skins up to dry
006%20Hang%20them%20up%20to%20dry.jpg

Dry and ready to go!
007%20Dry%20strands.jpg

Completed string
008%20Completed%20string.jpg

Reactions: Toddy and Moonraker

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Great illustrated guide Cyclingrelf.

Wish we had more guides informed by personal experience and supplemented by good photos like this.

On usability I read this earlier:
Thin willowherb cordage if made from the right part (dead looking brown fibers) will hold over 8lb of static weight.......cool for stream fishing!
source: Tracker Trail forums

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent post Cyclingrelf, :You_Rock_
How dry did you let it get before you twined it? Did yours shink much as it dried out fully?

Cheers,
Toddy

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Toddy said:
How dry did you let it get before you twined it? Did yours shink much as it dried out fully?

Hi Toddy,

I think I left it overnight, and it was pretty sunny...so couldn't have been much drier. I did forget to say that I split the outer skin into about 4 strands each after removing from the plant, before drying. This tends to give strands with tapered ends and variety of thickness, so you can work them in to the string more easily and mix and match them to get an even thickness of string.

I should have taken photos of the string making as well, shouldn't I? Oh well...I wet my fingers when I'm rolling the strands on my leg (so they're a little bit 'stickier' and easier to roll). This means the Willowherb is dampened again slightly as I work. But it's only slightly damp as I work it, so the string didn't noticeably shrink at all once complete.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! :)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I twisted mine totally green, and didn't notice any appreciable shrinkage.

Any idea of breaking strain? My ~1mm string seems to have a breaking strain of about 3-4 lbs.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks cyclingrelf that was a great tutorial well done, it seems that it is nearly identical as nettle cordage in the way that it is made
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
well i can make nettle cordage succesfully, so i might give this a try, i will have to research the plant a bit as i dont know how to identify it or where it lives
leon

shutupthepunx

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2013
outer cosmos
i made fireweed corage for the first time yesterday. just picked the dying plants, skinned them and 2-plyed it. no drying, no soaking no nothing. seems pretty good. i was quite impressed with myself. pictures to follow hopefully

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE