Natural Cordage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Today was messing about in woods experimenting.Ivy on trees is to thick and brittle ,but I messed about n braided 2 peices off ivy that was creeping on the woodland floor ,it’s much thinner .No processing nothing it makes extremely good cordage and I made 8ft length in less than 5 minutes.No twisting only braiding it will work as it’s stiff I reckon it might have been used as fishing line in the past v interesting .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have a look at it tomorrow and give it a pull....

Cordage is fun :) and it's amazing the stuff that does make decent cord or rope.

I have flax stooked just now to dry before I rett it.

M

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Have a look at it tomorrow and give it a pull....

Cordage is fun :) and it's amazing the stuff that does make decent cord or rope.

I have flax stooked just now to dry before I rett it.

M
I just braided it like a ponytail, then it’s strong .Twisting will make it break it’s hard to knot the 2 peices at the top .As singular strands are weak ,so once it’s braided you can tie end off by wrapping it around a stick. N tying a knot iff that’s makes sense it’s definitely strong enough for a nightline for fish with a gorge hook .And u can pull very long sections in my case 2 8 ft sections Iff your carefull ,n follow them gently without snapping them sometimes they go under the mud n bk out again so gentle tug digging may be required .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have 2m high fences right along the laneside of my garden....gable wall side. Fence line there is over 70' long. It's covered in ivy :)
It's both my green wall and a wonderful wildlife habitat. It's full of wee birds, of insects, of hidey holes for weasels, hedgehogs, etc.,
I pull it back when it tries to invade the garden so one way and t'other I end up with a fair amount of ivy to play with. It makes a good dye, especially if I get to the berries before the woodpigeons do. I use it to bind seasonal wreaths, I use split bits of heavy stems for hearthboards for the bowdrill, I sometimes use it for basketry, but I have never found the cordage to last very well. It's brittle somehow. You're right though, plaiting it is kinder on the stems that twisting it.

M

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I have 2m high fences right along the laneside of my garden....gable wall side. Fence line there is over 70' long. It's covered in ivy :)
It's both my green wall and a wonderful wildlife habitat. It's full of wee birds, of insects, of hidey holes for weasels, hedgehogs, etc.,
I pull it back when it tries to invade the garden so one way and t'other I end up with a fair amount of ivy to play with. It makes a good dye, especially if I get to the berries before the woodpigeons do. I use it to bind seasonal wreaths, I use split bits of heavy stems for hearthboards for the bowdrill, I sometimes use it for basketry, but I have never found the cordage to last very well. It's brittle somehow. You're right though, plaiting it is kinder on the stems that twisting it.

M
I wouldn’t use any climbing ivy get it on woodland floor when young thin n supple.In my opinion ivy makes best base board for bowdrill also ivy also indicates were to hunt /find pigeons in winter it’s a great plant

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Recently Iv messes around with dead goose grass sticky willies aswell .It’s ok but I don’t find it great other people swear by it though .

Crocus leaves, withered and dried, make excellent cordage. So do the dried leaves of the flag iris, or indeed most iris'.
Right now I have lobellia in flower in the garden, but instead of pulling it out in Autumn I leave it to die back and dry off. Pull the plant then and it makes excellent string....it's part of the flax family.
Honeysuckle, clematis, bramble, briars, nettles, all good, but hands down best of all, even with the work involved in retting it, is the inner bark of the small leaved lime.
Absolutely superb :)

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Crocus leaves, withered and dried, make excellent cordage. So do the dried leaves of the flag iris, or indeed most iris'.
Right now I have lobellia in flower in the garden, but instead of pulling it out in Autumn I leave it to die back and dry off. Pull the plant then and it makes excellent string....it's part of the flax family.
Honeysuckle, clematis, bramble, briars, nettles, all good, but hands down best of all, even with the work involved in retting it, is the inner bark of the small leaved lime.
For zero prep though juvenile ivy on ground that’s still searching for a tree host and spruce roots are great I reckon eel skin would make great cordage but not legal

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Yes lime cordage is great Iv yet to try horseradish leaf fibres aswell

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE