I think now, looking back at things twenty + years ago, that there was almost a cult of idealising people who had set themselves up as teachers/tutors/schools. Folks did qualifications through particular schools, ones that didn't cross over to other ones though.
From our point of view it was very commercial, and often they got really ratty at the forum because folks posted so much detail, ideas, etc., and no one was charging for that. Tony's subs for the forum have always been pretty low, less than the cost of a book a year, not hundreds and thousands for courses.
Thing was though, a lot of those tutors and schools were really very good, I have friends who run schools and they're superb people to learn from, work with, but it's a rather specialist market and it quickly became overfull of schools that mostly ran part time.
I think, no, I'm pretty sure, a lot of frustration soaked in.
At times it was most definitely not fun to Mod when they turned on the forum.
I still like the adage about survivalism being get the hell out asap and bushcraft being chill out asap

The UK is not North America, it's not Scandinavia, it's not an equatorial jungle, it's just here, it's home, and mostly we're having fun making use of what's here to chill out.
My tuppence ha'penny worth
