Why isn't Ron Hood given enough Credit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi,I just thought I would ask all you Outdoors people,why is it that Ron Hood and Karen Hood for that matter ar'nt given alot more Credit and applause for there work in Bushcraft and Survival,Seems to me alot of us, me included have learnt a fair bit on the Subject from them, Afew Bushcraft/Survival dvds and the like seem to have para-phrased alot of his work in the past 2 years or more.
Just thought I'd Ask

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Yeah I know what you mean,But I Genuinely, in my humble opinion think he should be recognized abit more,I have spent many hours learning whilst watching his dvds,And I can't be the only one in the UK to do so.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've seen some of his stuff and think he is a great presenter of his knowledge. He's got an easy going, light hearted attitude and style to his presenting and his information is quite good. His wife is pretty hot too! I really liked the way she gutted some trout in one of the DVD's even if I thought she was gonna cut a thumb off any moment. I've seen the one where they are up the mountains and making a bed from p[ine needles and bin bags. I think the reason he isn't discussed here too much, apart from the differences in terrain, is that he is survival based knowledge.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
dang nabbit. I was going to post about him. I have watched the first 5 volumes of his, and very impressed. Good information and down to earth. Especially enjoyed the trapping one.

The production of the DVD's is not amazing but the information is given across clearly. If some money was invested into the prodcution side, ie producer, camera/sound/lighting op then i think he would be onto a vey lucrative venture.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think he does OK to be fair. Another husband and wife team, UK based, aren't quite as good IMO. And they seem to have ripped off a lot of Rons' work as well and tried to pass it off as their own. No names, no pack drill, but those who've been here long enough probably know who I am on about. It's a shame as they could have done well for themselves without remaking stuff they'd watched on a Ron Hood DVD. I suppose they've done alright anyway though.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I'm Glad to see that others have picked up on the use of Ron's work by newer Bushcrafters or Makers of Bushcraft things, I don't see why they couldn't say I learn't this from ''whoever'' as tobe fair you don't see alot of stuff that hasn't been done before.
Credit where it's due I say and Yeah his wife is well nice and into knives hopefully not 1 of a kind.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
It certainly seems that way, there is no easy way to buy their DVD's over here and certainly they don't seem that interested in the wider audience, this may be in part due to the fact that quite a bit of the information is region specific (although the techniques have broader applications) and perhaps because much of the UK audience would squirm at some of the food preparation/ trapping footage - it's not quite as sanitized as RM would present for instance.

I watched pretty much all the DVD's so far and I have to say there are some real gems of info in amongst the footage, from the traditional preparation of pemmican through to simple but efficient ways to navigate around the wilds. I'd love to see him promoted more this side of the pond.

As Spamel mentioned, his approach is casual, relaxed and delivered with humour. His wife is also sehr hot and as my brother referred to her, very game ( I think he means she gets stuck in!). On the whole though it is more a 'survivalist' approach than 'bushcraft', there's a lot of tinfoil used, plastic bags and the like rather than relying on natural materials, but IMHO the good points outweigh the bad (you can often substitute natural or more reusable materials for the placky bags etc.).

The URL to read more about Ron & Karen Hood is: http://www.survival.com

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You see, whatever he does survival video wise is always gonna get ridiculed when he creates a "tool" like that! Anyway, as I said before, it's worth checking out as some of the info is quite relevant to us.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
www.survival.com is his website. All i can say is watch one of his videos. Nowhere near as plished as ray mears, as the film crew is his wife and thats it, but the info is good and he demonstrates what he talks about.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I wouldn't go so far as that, this guy doesn't run around eating possum sphincters! He is primarily survival orientated though, but he's not a twit if that's what you mean!

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Not really the 'gung-ho lets go battle nature' approach of Bear and roughly 1/1000th of the production budget but I do know what you mean, there's still some really useful tips to be had though and I found I grew to like the informal way in which they present it. It helped me overlook the very occasional cringe worthy moments.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I totally agree that alot of the skills he shows are region specific,but as with most Bushcraft skills they are portable and applicable to anywhere,And whether or not you wanted to use these skills for real,or just wanted to watch an enjoyable program on Survival & Bushcraft, if you learn them you have them if you ever needed them.
Good to hear your comments
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE