RM Alan Wood Knives on Ebay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Non-Bushcrafters profiting from RM knives

• It's unfair to other people on the waiting list

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • If they don't mind waiting fair enough

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • It provides a service as you don't then have to wait

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • If people are daft enough to pay 700 quid, good luck to 'em

Votes: 184 89.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
You'd do it for the enjoyment John,Your an addict to a bargain,either selling or buying.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
How come I always end up getting so little for my gear then?:(
Strikes me that if I had a Woodlore and sold it on the By I would lose money!

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
You get so little because your a sucker for sad eyes and pleading looks,not a bad thing though.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
It has nothing to do with ",mine must be better because I paid more for it".
A Woodlore will do something that very few other knives will do including a Bernie Garland, it will increase in value even with use.
Most other knives will depreciate but you can buy a Woodlore, use it for years and sell it and at least get your money back and more often than not you will make a profit.
I have handled a few pieces of Bernie's work and they are fine but they are not in the same league as Alan's work and to suggest they are is just silly.
I'm not having a pop at Bernie's work, a previous post mentioned him but how long has Bernie been a pro maker and who would know of him outside of the small bushcraft community ?
Alan Wood is a pro maker, has been making blades for many years and has risen to become one of the best known if not the best known of British knife makers, he's a household name, it's only natural that people will be prepared to pay more for a knife from him than from someone else, the rest is down to good marketing and supply and demand.

The Woodlore knife is designed by Ray Mears and built by Alan Wood, you can make an exact replica of it and it still won't be worth as much because it's an iconic design and the Alan Wood version is the original, people need to get over it.

Plenty of other people are making knives but few can match Alan in terms of fit and finish not to mention his eye for design and all while maintaining a consistent supply of knives.
I have no hidden agenda here, i don't run the Alan Wood fan club, i own a few Alan Wood knives and have owned many more over the years but my main user knives are not Alan Woods (and i do actually use a frosts Mora more than any other knife but i was using one long before i had heard of Mors).

A lot of people are really hard on the Woodlore knife but while they are rubbishing it from the sidelines they need to realise that it is responsible for bringing knives back into the public domain and promoting their use in a responsible fashion in a very anti knife climate.
And the makers who rubbish the Woodlore would not be selling half as many "bushcraft" knives as they are if it wasn't for the Woodlore paving the way.
That's quiet an achievement for a humble piece of 01 with a few bit of stick nailed onto it.

"All knives from all manufacturers are the same", if you honestly believe that then you really shouldn't be let out into the woods with anything sharper than a spoon :rolleyes:

Sapper I think the sentence in bold is the bit people are asking you to elaborate you. You are clearly saying there is something in Alans work that is not present in Bernies.
I had the pleasure of watching Bernie make me a knife from start to finish earlier this week. He is a master craftsman, I was totally impressed, and I got something that I cannot get from any other knife on the market - A personal knife made for me! :D
My knife. well chuffed I am!

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Firecrest You have quoted Rapidboys post not mine.
I think it's better if I say no more on this subject as I seeem to have aggravated a few members.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I asked you what can anAW do that any other knife can't?
You still haven't answered .

I'll answer that...

1. Appreciate in value.
2. Be more sought after by collectors and users alike.
4. Appeal to both fans of Alan Wood and Ray Mears.
5. Become an iconic (if it is not already) knife design.
6. Become a major major investment when production ceases (ala Lile knives).
7. Create an introduction and interest to people knew to the bushcrafting knife world.
8. Provide a popular pattern which has kept many makers in business providing copies.
9. Create an interest in knives and collecting due to high profile prices and waiting lists.
10. Allow us all to debate it's merits with MUCH passion.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
O.K. sensible head on.
This thread was startd because Of a short discussion about AW Woodlore knives'The question I asked was .What can these knives do that no other can.possibly I wasn't clear enough.
When I asked the question I wanted answers along the lines of,It cuts better or it handles better.We all know that they are an excellent bit of kit with an excellent pedigree and worth the makers asking price.
What I was looking for was if you are in the woods ,In what way are they better,what can they do that no other knife can do ,have you been in a situation ,in the woods ,where you've thought that you wish you had an AW Woodlore because I'd be able to do what I'm doing better or if I had one of these I'd be able to do this because my knife won't do it?
If I came across as antagonistic or shirty ,then I apologise unreservedly.
All the reasons so far have been based on the value of the knife not on the abilities in the situation it is designed for
Again I apologise for causing a problem .

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It doesn't physically do anything that another knife cannot do obviously. But a Rolex, Omega or Patek watch cannot tell the time any better than a £1.99 market watch either. A handcut lead crystal glass does not hold drink any better than a plastic or polysterene cup. The same goes for many thousands of other things. Sometimes we just want something because, well, we do ;)

maynman

Sep 26, 2006
pembrokeshire/west wales
I met alan wood a few years ago, what a nice bloke.
He is contracted to woodlore, and cant sell that particular knife himself.

I bought one of his bushcrafter knives for £200 and is the dogs bolx.

He does make a lot of other knives besides the woodlore, and if you contacted him , im sure you could buy one a lot cheaper and quicker.

maynard:)

Jul 29, 2008
Ascot
Yes £700 is far too much money. I do think that you should have a nice knife that will last a lifetime but the price doesn't have to reflect that.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I had a Vincent Black Prince in the 60's. I sold it for £55 and recently saw one for £35,000!

They wern't much of a motocycle - if I could bring back one of my 'bikes it would be my 1929 Scott.

Jim

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I had a Vincent Black Prince in the 60's. I sold it for £55 and recently saw one for £35,000!

They wern't much of a motocycle - if I could bring back one of my 'bikes it would be my 1929 Scott.

Jim

The bloke I used to live next door to had a Vincent Black Shadow in his younger days, I remember him saying how much he regretted selling it and it would be worth a bob or two now if he had.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
My mother gave her signed Stones and Muddy Waters back catalogue to a charity shop in the 70s. These included pre-contract demo pressings from the Stones and various other bits and pieces from when they played the Surrey/Sussex blues circuit. And she was dating Bill Wyman.

Bum set of decisions Mum ;)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
This is a none-thread. Yet again, more divisive comments. We get worked up about things we can't afford and then 'do them down', and criticise those who can afford to buy them. For example, 'It's not fair - Woodlores are too expensive, but I wouldn't want one anyway because my [insert other maker's name here] is better and it's cheaper'.

We then bang on for a while until someone says 'My Mora only cost ten quid and it's better than all your knives'. This is inverse snobbery, is it not? We're starting to get towards Monty Python territory ('My knife is made from tin foil with a mud handle and cost me 5p', '5p?!? Luxury, etc, etc').

Replace the phrase 'Woodlore knife' with 'Picasso painting', 'Harry Potter 1st Edition', 'Faberge Egg', etc, and lots of people are prepared to pay more than the original RRP for a rare item. It's called 'collecting'.

There are thousands of other things we could be discussing on here but there is always a thread on how expensive Woodlores are.

Frankly, if I bought a Woodlore, I wouldn't advertise the fact on here because of:

a. The amount of flaming that I'd get

b. The number of people who feel they had to tell me how good their Mora is and that it cost less than a tenner.

Gaaarrgghhh! :cussing:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
...... We're starting to get towards Monty Python territory ('My knife is made from tin foil with a mud handle and cost me 5p', '5p?!? Luxury, etc, etc').......

You were lucky!

We were so poor, we used to dream of having a knife made from tin foil with a mud handle!

(Next poster asks "Real mud?")........

Sorry! I just couldn't resist!
happy0054.gif

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
You were lucky!

We were so poor, we used to dream of having a knife made from tin foil with a mud handle!

(Next poster asks "Real mud?")........

Sorry! I just couldn't resist!
happy0054.gif

Tin foil ? we had never heard of such a space age thing!
We had make our knives out of aspestos, we had to chew the bits of we didnt want and save them for dinner. When our dad came home he would beat us with the left over aspestos stuffed in a sock......and we considered our selves well off :burnout:

Ahh python...

Woodwatcher

Jul 29, 2009
norfolk
What a lot of fuss over a knife. If people want to spend that sort of money good for them. I like my mora and my mod survival knife slightly modded that is, and both for less than £45. saying that if i had the money i would love a custom knife made by any of the guys both on here or on BB. Bloody fantastic crafts persons making wonderful bits of kit, keep it up guys. Now were is the credit card off to bid on the RM knife. damn cant buy it cause we live in a country that look at knives as weapons not tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE