RM Alan Wood Knives on Ebay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Non-Bushcrafters profiting from RM knives

• It's unfair to other people on the waiting list

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • If they don't mind waiting fair enough

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • It provides a service as you don't then have to wait

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • If people are daft enough to pay 700 quid, good luck to 'em

Votes: 184 89.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
I was watching a new RM Alan Wood knife going on ebay for 700.01 GBP and was wondering what others thought about people sitting on the Woodlore waiting list with what seems the sole intention of listing their knife on ebay for a profit.

Please note that Ebay UK no longer allow the sale of knives, therefore this poll refers to a situation which has not exisited for some time. C_Claycomb 5-12-2010

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I have heard the waiting list is now 10 years, and Woodlore have had to specify maximum one knife per customer.

I am also struck by the number of makers who make clones or near-clones of the Woodlore.

To be fair to Woodlore, they did arrange for a mass-produced version, for only £95 delivered, in the form of the Micarta Wilkinson Sword version. Then Wilkinson closed the sword/knife making factory and now they go for silly prices too.

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
To be fair to Woodlore, they did arrange for a mass-produced version, for only £95 delivered, in the form of the Micarta Wilkinson Sword version. Then Wilkinson closed the sword/knife making factory and now they go for silly prices too.

I wouldn't want to be unfair to Woodlore, who I have the highest respect for. It's a simple supply and demand thing.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
No worries, you've not been unfair to Woodlore, or anyone else.

I was just pointing out Woodlore did try to get a relatively low priced, mass produced Woodlore on the market. It just didn't work out as planned.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Never mind the woodlore knife, way too expensive IMO, buy one from Bernie Garland, they are the dogs doodahs, and a damn sight cheaper. Plus you will look after one of our own in the process !! :D

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
respect where it's due Bernie, those two knives for the midlands meet were great, pity i missed out on the raffle one, i did buy loads of tickets but mine did not get pulled out of the hat. One day i will own one of yours mate, they're too good not too.:You_Rock_

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I can understand - sympathise, even - with folk who want to becomed 'Ray-ed' up but actually, is the knife, or any knife for that matter, really worth that much?

I had one once which I sold for less than I paid for it on this site. After all, it was second hand and I had used it. I find the whole process of waiting for a Woodlore and then, without even removing it from its sheath, selling it on for a grotesquely inflated price really offensive. It smacks of acquisitive greed that has no real place in any society or group, let alone one like this.

If you must have a Woodlore now and are prepared to line someone else's pocket several times over for that privilege, then go for it; otherwise, there are many, many alternatives that are at least as good, if not better, out there available to you for a modest sum and a few months wait.

There we go. Rant over. :eek:

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Never mind the woodlore knife, way too expensive IMO, buy one from Bernie Garland, they are the dogs doodahs, and a damn sight cheaper. Plus you will look after one of our own in the process !! :D

Not cheaper!.....more affordable:rolleyes: :D :D

I absolutely love mine:
P3270005.jpg

I almost bought a new Woodlore a few years back but decided that waiting 9 months for a utility knife was silly. I'm glad I spent my cash on other things and eventually ended up with a tool that I believe may well become a classic in it's own right:cool:
As far as people selling Woodlores on ebay; why not?
I don't want one, because I've tried a couple and find I prefer Bernies craftsmanship.
best wishes
R.B.

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
As far as people selling Woodlores on ebay; why not?

Not so much a question of selling a woodlore knife on ebay, more the practice of sticking your name on the list with the sole intention of selling it at a profit,

Take another example, if Bernie had a huge waiting list for his rather tempting knives and was trying hard to keep up do you think it's ethical for people to sign up just to make about 1000% more than the maker does?

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Such is the way of the capitalist & profiteering society we live in today, it is unfortunate but these kinds of things happen, desirable objects, concert tickets etc. If people are willing to fund these activities it will continue if there is no profit to be made then perhaps they would stop.

what frightens me is the extent that some people go to make a buck in the forgery of potentially life saving prescription drugs and getting them into NHS supplies. These people have no conscience.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I can understand - sympathise, even - with folk who want to becomed 'Ray-ed' up but actually, is the knife, or any knife for that matter, really worth that much?

I had one once which I sold for less than I paid for it on this site. After all, it was second hand and I had used it. I find the whole process of waiting for a Woodlore and then, without even removing it from its sheath, selling it on for a grotesquely inflated price really offensive. It smacks of acquisitive greed that has no real place in any society or group, let alone one like this.

If you must have a Woodlore now and are prepared to line someone else's pocket several times over for that privilege, then go for it; otherwise, there are many, many alternatives that are at least as good, if not better, out there available to you for a modest sum and a few months wait.

There we go. Rant over. :eek:

I agree no tool is worth that much, but it's no longer a tool for some, it's an expression of status. In my opinion it's not even that good a knife. It's too heavy the blade is too thick and you have to have hands like a gorilla to hold it. There are lots of makers out there with skills equal to and dare I say better than Alan Wood who make beautiful functional blades at a sensible price. Take a look on here and British blades and there are great smiths crawlin' out the woodwork:lmao:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I can safely say that using one of Bernies' knives left me with a greater feeling than the quick go I did have on a Woodlore once. They are clunky and chunky, and much too unwieldy for my little hands. I'm sure Alan would make one slightly smaller if you asked him, but it wouldn't then be branded as a RM Woodlore knife, as I assume that is made to a certain specification that must also include size.

I quite liked Ben Orfords' knife that I saw once, I think it was Stuarts' (Neanderthal on the forums) and it seemed to be a nice knife. Stuart Marsh and Mick Spain both make great looking knives too, Stewart Mitchell also has a huge range of knives to take your pick from, and all will be reasonably priced with great after sales care from the maker and you know you're buying quality. On top of those guys, there are a mass of other people making knives, Shing, Guy Stainforth, Rob Tattoo, the list goes on. You're gonna get quality from all of these guys, and a waiting list of maybe six months or so in the extreme, more if you're unlucky. Saying that, if you can't wait, approach one of the other makers.

A 900 quid knife will perform no better than a ten quid Mora. Saying that, we should all use Moras but it is nice to have a finely crafted tool to use. To pay a grand for one though.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE