Ridiculously oversized ferro-rod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Why would anyone want or need a ferro-rod this size? Er, no idea really, but I saw something similar on a Dave Canterbury YouTube video and decided I did! I sourced a silly size rod on eBay and picked up an antler roll at Bushmoot. Drilled with an old bit n brace today, bit of glue, a leather lace and ended up with this. Just a bit of fun really!

81aa548c39ceac8316c6aac2cbb220b8.jpg

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
That should last you :cool:

I'v seen some at the shows the size of those giant tubes of smarties you get at christmas....they were mounted on a chopping block sized round of wood mind

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Love to see the knife sheath that slots into!!

Depends on the size of the knife,

image.jpg1_zpslrvn0aic.jpg

I seriously considered making a sheath with a slot for it like on my Grohmann No. 4 but realised I'd have to walk around clutching my belt or be perpetually at half mast.

Incidentally it sparks like it belongs in a firework display, first time I used it at night I flinched so far I ended up rolling about on my back...

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
http://goinggear.com/survival/fire/firesteel-ferro-rod-blanks/beast-firesteel-misch-metal-ferro-rod-blank-1-2-x-12.html

But why? Would material that was scraped off at the hand end still be even burning by the time it got past the other end? Not that I don't have a irrational urge to get one, mind.

atb

tom

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Now I bet if Alexander Selkirk knew beforehand exactly how long he was going to end up being marooned for I bet that would be exactly the mod he would have chosen.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE