Ridge Line for Tarp

Nov 30, 2012
Lincoln
I was wondering what other guys are using for their ridge lines for their tarp over a hammock. ATM I am just using 550 but I am guessing there has to be something better out there.

Cheers

Ryan

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I use a 10m length of 1000lb braking strain dyneema kite line, I got reels of it in my shed from my other hobby....

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I use a 10m length of 3mm climbing accessorie cord with mini caribiners on prussic loops. Works a treat for speedy set ups...

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
its good stuff Elen. Not as cheap as paracord, but it is a better material. Its what they use on sail boats for rigging. :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
One thing I have found out about Dyneema it has quite a low melting point, i.e. from fricton when it rubs... have a had a few kite fly off when the lines tangle

still good for stength tho...

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I use 3mm dyneema 12m long for those large gaps, with larks headed zing it to Farrimond hitches. For shorter gaps I use the zing it larks headed to the tree and Garda hitched to the tarp rings. Looking to swap to an SLS setup so may well use buried loops and mini crabs from the tarp rings, or just prussicks/Farrimond hitches.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
One thing I have found out about Dyneema it has quite a low melting point, i.e. from fricton when it rubs... have a had a few kite fly off when the lines tangle

still good for stength tho...

Is the kite stuff uncoated Stu?, I know the stein arborist stuff has a poly coating to help it stand up to friction better.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Is the kite stuff uncoated Stu?, I know the stein arborist stuff has a poly coating to help it stand up to friction better.

No it is not I am afraid, I had a mate lose a 81 sq foot lifter end up in the sea due to a power kiter on a buggy, I have used silicon Spray before on Dual and quad line stunt kite lines to help them slide over each other, have also used it on single line display kites, and power kite lines as well.

there is some pics of the stuff I used to fly a lot, but not so much now, to many hobbies, lol.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Bigstu12/Seawick12Sept2010

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Some cracking kites there mate. I bought 1000 yards of kevlar kite cord from china which was about 200lb rated. Makes good sewing thread :)

Thank you, I tend only to fly a couple of times a year now, and have got rid of some of the larger ones..

Yeah I know the stuff, is good for the smaller kites, I have also used the spectra fishing line as well for the Quad stunt kites like the Revolution, SUL kite if if remember right its a bout 8oz in total weight. That make great sewing thread as well.

Anyway back on thread... lol not meant to be a pun, I just got some of those DD Ridge line Cam Cleats, going to give the a try and see how it goes looks like a nice and easy quick way... I do like to experiment....
http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/ridgelinelok?

I have thought about trying some of the 200 kg braided line I have as well.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
2.2mm Zing-It. Done in this configuration

ridgeline.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE