Reviews of Bushcraft/Survival Courses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
P

Paulmac

Hi David
Thankyou for taking the time to respond to my previous request about the UK Survival school.
I see what you mean - I'm spending a day with them in Wales next week, they asked me to dress for the outdoors and not a "mercenary audition",
they have finished their courses this year but are putting in a lot of internal training up to the new year when they go to Norway to work with the Norwegian army and the Sami people in Finmark- now that also sounds good, but I bet it's cold.
I will let you know how I get on - have you done any other stuff and can you give me some tips for the jungle?
Regards & thanks,
Paul Mac

P

Paulmac

Hi Guys, On my pursuit for training courses and one or two companies keep "cropping" up on this forum, has anyone any experience of the following?
www.breakawaysurvival.co.uk
www.survival.fslife.co.uk
www.i-survive.co.uk
And what on earth did the chap who got a "write off "in the mainsite articles sections do to deserve it at the outdoors show? Must try to get to that next time - anyone Know when it is?
It seems a lot of you guys have experience of the in's and outs in the UK,
but i'm new to this angle of outdoor training and would like to know more.
Regards
Paul Mac :-D

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
paulmac,

i went on a breakaway course a few years ago, it was fun, but definately, uh, less than satisfactory if you're serious about learning skills. other second hand reports i've heard, seem similar to my own experience.

if you're referring to mike jarmain of cambrian survival school as the bloke who got the bad press. he's very good. though apparently he gave the bushcraft school a bit of a slagging in his talk, which may go some way to explaining his lack of favour aound here. value for money wise his school must be one of the very best. the countryside where i did his intermediate course may not be as inspiring as the estate where woodsmoke run their courses, but it's much cheaper.

bushblade, good to hear from you too! maybe there'll be other outings :cool: i still say you make a great teacher. now where's frojo with the rest of the interesting photo's?

cheers, and.

P

Paulmac

Hi Sargey,
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post and your feedback it's much appreciated.
Regards

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
it might be worth me pointing out that i was sort of referring to a couple of derogatory posts made some time ago regarding mike's stuff, i believe they were subsequently, moderated. so that was just my understanding, not necessarily the opinion of this website!

if you see what i mean. :-?

cheers, and.

D

David Evans

Paul Mac,

Don't be put off by what people say, I have been on many courses by many companies in the uk over the past two decades including as far back as Eddie Magee, Ray Mears, Lofty Wiseman and the not so wisemen.

The differece is only to be learnt from your own experience, but the present standards are extremely high and if you keep an open mind very enjoyable.

Some of my favourites:

Breakaway :shock:
Sargey was spot on, but my wife unknowingly sent me here on a "Red letters day" voucher type affair and I enjoyed the social fun side to the "activity". The man here is Mick Tyler, very good and makes no secret of his SAS past, but the leaders are usually his under-studies with lots of desire but not the same experience. ( 20 years Breakaway).

Woodlore
Ray has achieved amazing hieghts for the subject and is yet to be parralled - that may be why he gets a lot of " green eyed attention ".
He is a very good ambassador for the subject and if you can do his courses - get on one, call for late places or cancellations. Even better if he's teaching.

NB Woodsmoke, Woodcraft, Bison & Gone Native have all "drank from
the Ray Mears well" and are all good companies for a similar course.

UK Survival School.
Mainly because I went to Borneo with them, This is a"nuts & bolts" adventure in remote environments training school and few people have the all-round environments experience that Ged Lawless and Co., have.
It runs in his blood - so to speak and you will find him and Mick Tyler very good friends although two very differant people and ways - Geds, a very private person but extremely capable.

As for the Jungle, go for it, but listen carefully to how they prepare you and thats why I don't want to start going on and over their heads about it, just go for it.

As for Cambrian, their very good and I think perhaps the comments about Mike that you mention, may be the reason why you believed you could question openly about the companies courses on this forum on the "chatter" thread - I agree with Stuarts summing up and can see the reasons why you posted it.

It was in my view completely harmless but badlly dealt with. I think also some very good lessons have been learnt, your points were valid and not out of order in anyway.

I have also heard some good comments about Natural Pathways and might visit them in the next year or so.

At the end of the day we are all only human and do make mistakes, so don't be put off. ( and that's coming from a lawyer? )

Whatever you do - enjoy your time, if you have a bad day out, start again.

All the best

David

P

Paulmac

Hi,
Sargey,
I'm not sure I know about the Mike Jarmain posts your talking about. What I meant was as David says, the articles page ( show 1 & show 2 ) on this main website - not the forum, that I, and this is only my thoughts, find a bit contraversial on a site that I now know does not accept companies websites or courses being publicly critised.
For that I was niave, and, if I have offended Caron, Woodcraft or any forum members I sincerely apologise. Tony kindly wrote to me over this and I'm sorry about the attention allbeit the wrong kind that my post drew to the site.
I was genuinley confused and wanted the members opinons on what I thought was open to public debate that is why I never contacted them privately. I am quite inquisitive about the way companies promote themselves and allways seek second or independant views.
Please accept my sincere apologies :oops:

David,
Thankyou for so kindly taking the time to reply to my questions and your support - I wish I read your comments sooner as I spent most of yesterday with Ged and he basically echoed what you said above and added about another 4 company names to my list. It was my first introduction to the subject and I found it more enjoyable than I ever expected, I also have until next May to make my mind up about the Jungle trip, but they go every year any way. I would like to thank him for a good day out.

I would also like to thank everone who responded to my "quest" on the forum and all the PM's, happy bushcrafting, xmas & new year.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Paulmac said:
...not the forum, that I, and this is only my thoughts, find a bit contraversial on a site that I now know does not accept companies websites or courses being publicly critised.

Paulmac - not so on this point. For clarity, and as far as I know, providing your criticisms are fair, reasonable, accurate and non-personal, it's fine to ask the questions. If you find flaws or fault with a course or company, or have issues with marketing or whatever, you are free to comment to that effect. I dont see any rules or statements anywhere to the contrary. I think there is an expectation for courteous and respectful exchanges, but as far as I know, providing that is the case, any point can be raised and any questions can be asked.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
David Evans said:
...may be the reason why you believed you could question openly about the companies courses on this forum on the "chatter" thread - I agree with Stuarts summing up and can see the reasons why you posted it.

It was in my view completely harmless but badlly dealt with. I think also some very good lessons have been learnt, your points were valid and not out of order in anyway.

I believe fair, reasonable and open questioning is perfectly allowable on this forum. :wink:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Chaps

Have a look at the thread below. http://www.bushcraftuk.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?t=582

Thanks for your input on this Martyn and your spot on. We have to be careful so as not to seem like we are attacking, but we should ask the questions and expect answers. Part of the problem is that this is the first Website of it's kind in the UK and we are all finding our way. What happens on here is perfectly normal and expected. Thus there is no need to worry, just a need to learn, and we all learn from things out of the norm.

I get a half dozen email a week saying how brilliant the site is and how polite, nice and welcoming everyone is on the forum. This is a huge credit to every one of you, and I mean every one. The Mods do a grand job and the members support them. As examples of the people that participate in wilderness activities you are a credit. And you encourage many people to better themselves.

Stick with it guys and girls and enjoy.

P

Paulmac

Hi guys'
Hope you all had a great xmas and got everything you wanted - santa only comes to those kids that are good!

ROB
Did you ever review the course you mentioned earlier in this thread - the one with the ducks (or was it cows :-? ) would love to hear more.

Sargey, Bushblade & Gary
Do you guys instruct at schools mentioned on this forum ? - everyone seems to already know each other :-? , would love to hear more about this as well , if possible.

Have a happy new year :wink:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Paul Mac,

I have worked for Woodlore for several years, recently left them to set up my own company which will go live in January.

I have also worked with and associated with Woodsmoke for a long time too - both are v good companies.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i don't do anything bushcrafty on a commercial basis, i help out with scouts and teach on the survival skills badge weekend once a year. as weekend courses go, it's much better than some that you'd have to pay three times as much for! :cool:

cheers, and.

P

Paulmac

Thanks for the replies guys,
Will look out for you going live Gary - good luck, and Rob I look forward to seeing the course review with the ducks, am surprised they didn't get eaten with you fellas.
Thanks also Sargey, would love to know which courses are worse than the scouts badge weekend!!! :shock:
Paul :-D

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
I don't teach either, just kind words from Sargey I think. Cheers mate.

I met Gary who was assisting the instructors on the Woodsmoke woodlander course I attended. Also met Stuart (Kellam) too. Think I have pics of them both somewhere :wink:

I met Sargey on the Abo course I attended, thats one experience I'm not gonna forget for a long time :)

There is a couple of other user names knocking about that I recognise from courses too. Great way to meet like minded people.

The only people I have taught is friends who I've taken out, and managed to pass on the bushcraft bug to.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Will, dont you be scaring the nice people on here with your pictures of Stuart - or me!!

How did the knife turn out in the end?

And thanks Paul Mac I'll need all the luck I can get!!

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
ah yes, bushblade was a teammate/ fellow student on the abo course, but he definately knows his onions, and his willow herb, and his western hemlocks and... :lol:

:roll: ok maybe it wasn't that funny...

cheers, and.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Hey I figured out who bushblade is!!!! :-D

Hello there, how did that knife come out?

did you know that orlando (the spainish guy whos picture is on the courses page of the woodsmoke site) is lurking around on this site as well

he sent me a PM a week or so ago

Hey Orlando you still out there?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE