Reviews of Bushcraft/Survival Courses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

jatherton

Hi,

I have never done a course with ray mears. The best company that I have ever done a course with is Natural Pathways, I did a two part tracking course with them, it was amazing!

What courses have other people really enjoyed?

Cheers,

Joel :wink:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I have done the Introduction to Bushcraft at Woodlore, and consider myself fortunate that Ray Mears instructed elements of that course himself.
To say I enjoyed it would be serious understatement. I'm booked to do the Fundamental course next year, again with Woodlore, but I don't think Ray will be there for that one.

Dave

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I did the "Woodsense and Tracking" course in May, and it's safe to say that it was the highlight of my year to date. I found the pace good, information presented in a useful way and the 5 hour tracking excercise on the Saturday exhausting! Ray and Juha did the majority of the teaching, With Woody coming in to help out on the Thursday.

Not only did I learn a lot on the course (and have tried to pass the info on to the Scouts in the troop I run), but Ray also helped me with techniques to combat a panic reaction to woods at night that I have experienced in the past. I've had no problems in this area since then (including this last weekend when myself and a mate did some backwoods camping in the middle of a wood).

Given the opportunity, I'd do more Woodlore courses, but I'd also like to try some of the other companies as well.

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
Have done the fundemental and the camp craft, both really good courses, yuha, ben (and you too gary) were fantastic tutors

would very much like to do ben's plantlore course but domestic situation doesn't allow at present

sarahjane my daughter has done the kiddy fundemental which she thoroughly enjoyed and sam will be booked for 2005

as well as all the 'woodcraft' skills you recieve i feel that you also grow on a personal level too, kinda spiritual?

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
I have been lucky enough to have done a few Woodlore courses now. Fundamental, Campcraft (where I came across Ally :wink: ) and Primative Technology.

Cant recommend them enough, and the people on the courses have been a good friendly bunch.

I am tempted to do a course with some other company - i will just have to find one that looks good that fits in with the school hols for my other half. But life has seen me needing to get some other qualifications - watch out for a review of a course that I did earlier in the month (toil, toil)

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Rob

That wouldn't be the one at a certain educational establishment where 'the cows play in the woods' - would it?!! :lol:

Bob :-D

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Hi Ross

The cordage is coming along fine - weaned myself off it after about 30ft of nettle!! Looking forward to the next session (think I might need thermals this time though!) :shock:

Lets hope the cows behave themselves this time !!!! (that'll make the others think!!!) :lol:

Bob :-D

Y

yowee

I've done 2 courses with Woodsmoke which were quite simply life changing, having watched the likes of Les Hiddens and Mr Mears on the TV it was fantastic to get to do rather than watch, the days were packed but not too much and the delivery of information was excellent, the enthusiasm that Ben and Lisa have for the subject really comes across, you meet people that might know the latin name for a plant or tree but how many can give you the in depth knowledge of how it can be used and even it's place in norse mythology. I did Woodsmokes Nomad course back in september, 100 kilimometres from helvellen down to the coast carrying all you will need and learning all the way not just about bushcraft but about your own limitations and strengths, if you've do a fundemental type course it is a great next step, I couldn't recommend Woodsmoke highly enough!
simply brilliant. :-D

P

Paulmac

Hi Guys
I'm new to this - not the outdoors, but this kind of topic site.
I'm intrigued!
How many companies in Britain are there? Who are they? Where are they?
I' m thinking of signing up on the UK Survival School 2004 Jungle skills trip - and i'm meeting them next week, can't wait, wanted to go to a jungle for along time now and thier programme looks fantastic. Any advice is welcome.
www.uksurvivalschool.co.uk
Paul :-D

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I have attended Fundamental, Woodsense (tracking) and the Ardeche expedition with Woodlore. I’m also booked up for Birch Bark and Camp Craft courses (one the week after the other), primitive Technology and Journeyman. Also hoping to get on their Arctic course in the next year or so.

Can not recommend them enough, very helpful with any questions you have and thoroughly pleasant people to boot.

D

David Evans

Hello All

F.A.O. Paul Mac

I did the Borneo jungle with THE UK SURVIVAL SCHOOL a few years ago, fantastic experience, well organised & well lead. They are agreat bunch to learn with and a no nonsense company.
You are right - on a previous thread about companies in the uk doing overseas training, there is the experience here and this company is up there at the top.
Enjoy your visit to them next week and go for it.

David

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Giancarlo, thanks for providing the link to Sargey's review, I hadn't realised he'd done that. Brought back a lot of great memories.

Sargey, if you're out there you've put a smile on my face mate :-D

nice working/learning with you.

Will

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE