Remember, Remember...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Fireworks.gif

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I thank the gods we live far enough away from anywhere big to even see the damn things, let alone hear them. One neighbour has had her (many) grandchildren here for their do tonight, but they did the whole performance with grace and humour, the kids and the rest of us enjoyed it and it's all cleared up and sorted already; they're all back in the house for a bit of a hoolie and all's well with the world :)

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
The sound of gunfire and mortar rounds, the flashes of the explosions, the smell of burning and the screams of children. Oh sorry, it's bonfire night, for a second I thought I was back in Beirut. :AR15firin:BlueTeamE: :lmao:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Does anyone else in their 40's or above remember having big bonfires on "Victoria Night"? It's a bit fuzzy in my head but I remember it in warm weather and long nights, with big communal fires. Can't for the life of me remember what it was about or exactly what time of year - which is unusual for me. Any help from the hive mind?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
So that's what the fireworks are about. Significant dates elude me. Partners birthday is sometime this month though, I know that much!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
My favourite quote from V for Vendetta is when he meets Evey in the allyway...

V said:
But on this most auspicious of nights, permit me then, in lieu of the more commonplace soubriquet, to suggest the character of this dramatis persona. Voila! In view humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the “vox populi” now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin, van guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

Verily this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it’s my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V.

Eloquent whilst at the same time sinister.

Can't think of the 5th of November now without thinking of V for Vendetta... a very clever comic and a decent attempt at putting it onto the big screen.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you know ? from reading the quotes on this thread, I'm rather glad I have never read or seen the V thing at all :D

History is too easily turned into a soap opera that becomes 'believed', and I have worked behind the scenes in too many films to believe the final cut is in any way an accurate reflection of reality.
M

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Those that they wish to destroy the Gods first make mad.

Those countries that they wish to destroy they first destroy their faith in Government and their democratic system. The process is well along.

Roman Catholicism was promoting the destruction of Tudoe and Stuart England as it had the Church in Britain with its mission to the Anglo-Saxons and the crusade it preached against Harold II before Hastings along with stuff like the Interdict the Middle Ages.

Of course Henry VIII and Elizabeth were also pretty bloody.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
It's a story of a dystopian society not too dissimilar to George Orwell's 1984 M... it is a great story that intertwines the story of Guy Fawkes with that of a man who was medically experimented on. That man vows a vendetta against the system, escapes his captors and brings down the government from the inside by doing what Guy Fawkes (or arguably not, depending on who's history you believe) failed to do.

The film turns it into a love story more than anything else, whereas the comic V uses Evey, and she isn't the mid-twenties career girl we see in the film.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but then Moore wrote the original as a response to a certain Iron Lady.

Unfortunately the imagery of the comic and the film has been hijacked by people who fail to see that what they're doing is no better than the politically-correct government of both the comic and the film.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I read V for Vendetta when it was first published in 'Warrior' magazine in the early eighties, the magazine folded before the tale was complete and decades past before I learned that the remaining chapters had been published as a graphic novel.

Alan Moore's story along with David Lloyd art is a work of genius, possibly the best 'comic' ever created.

The film of the same name is a travesty.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Alan Moore's story along with David Lloyd art is a work of genius, possibly the best 'comic' ever created.

Blimey... not sure I'd go that far... I agree the artwork was bordering on genius, but Moore 'borrowed' a lot of his ideas, his genius was using those ideas to create a character that both had a heart, and had no heart at the same time.

The film, in its own right, had to be 'Hollywooded' which was annoying, but it was a decent effort and despite the compromises made with, well, pretty much every character in the comic they still managed to pull off a story that struck a cord with the western world. I think Moore was a little rash in his judgment, probably because it his vision wasn't literally translated onto the screen... but V for Vendetta is becoming/has become a cult film, something iconic and a symbol. He should be proud of both his story telling and the adaptation that has spawned so much mimickery.

I just wish, as I said before, that people understood the core message rather than glorifying the demolition of the establishment. Absolute power corrupts absolutely... and yes, I know, getting too political... I'll stop there.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Blimey... not sure I'd go that far...

:)

:lmao:

Subjective viewing?? :confused: I dunno, but given the constraints of bringing it to a mainstream audience, they were always going to have to simplify the argument, make the villains a bit more bitey and remove the controversial 'underage' element.

I reckon the comic/book got the ending right rather than the film, but then the film's ending appeals to the masses.

And then the masses abuse the imagery.

Arghhhhhhhhh!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Goatboy's comment about the bonfires on Victoria Day minded me of them too.
Not common in the area I grew up, though it was marked at Primary School with flags of the Commonwealth, but most of my family came originally from the East of the country, and there it was a bigger event than Guy Fawkes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Day_(Scotland)

Empire Day/Victoria Day - 24th May
Flags were flown from public buildings and schools decorated classrooms with flags of the British Empire. The name was changed to Commonwealth Day. The nearest Monday to 24th May was a local trades holiday in many parts of Scotland to celebrate Queen Victoria's birthday and the tradition has continued long after Queen Victoria's reign.

http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/res...&QUICKSEARCH=1&search_term=victoria+day,+fire

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...LR#v=onepage&q=victoria day, bonfires&f=false

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers Toddy,
Didn't realise it had become Commonwealth Day. Was a big thing as a kid, then it disapeared overnight. Don't remember it being celebrated after about '74/'75. Big fires though, which the arsonist in me enjoyed.

The V comic was pretty darn good. Film a bit of a washout.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE