Recommendations on day sack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Omega

Jul 11, 2004
UK
Hello, guys,

What should I look at when I select a day sack? What volume would you recommend, additional features? I will be usiong it for both hiking and for travels to other countries.

Regards,

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
agree on the Sabre.

I have owned my sabre 45 for 10 years +, and it as never let me down.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Well for me its The Berghaus Munro 35l, The Snugpak Rocket Pack 40l, or a Karrimor Sabre 45l.
I have used the Munro for 15 years or so and its a great little sack, but i have just about worn it out. I always felt it was 5 lites (a set of billy cans) too small, so bought a Snugpak rocket pak 40l - Which is ideal sizewise + it has the option of fitting "Rocket Pack" or "PLCE" (Personal load carrying equipment) military side pockets to it, which can be detached and used on their own with a yoke, forming a really nice daybag. However I have never been entirely happy with the Rocket Pack, it seems over complicated, and the main fabric a bit to thin/soft. I can't quite put my finger on its a really good little pack, but just doesn't instill the confidence of the Munro.
So for me next on the list is the Karrimor Sabre 45l - getting a bit large for my liking, but less complicated and appears more robust. Someone has put together a special offer for us on them from an army surplus store, so they come in at about £40 with the optional PLCE/Rocket Pack side pockets. Only disadvantage asfar as i can see is that they are in camo, not my first choice.

Thats my 2ps worth

Cheers
Rich

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
What I look for in a pack is a top loading pack with at least one good size pocket. Size needs to be at least 10x12 to fit large books and magazines as I often us this bag for shopping and going to the magazine store. Should be able to carry a coat and/or sweater (aka extra layer), a days worth of food and water. By top loading I mean drawcord closure with 2 Fastex two-piece type buckles and lots of webbing so I can overstuff the pack and still get it closed. A fabric collar or extention is handle as well (these are made of lighter fabric and increase the size of your beg for those times you need it.

At least one pocket for city map, pens, paper, camera, all the small stuff.
I prefer black for a day pack as I live in the city and black is more urban than green. Black is a base colour, goes well with any other colour.

My pack comes from www.mec.ca but they don't make them any more. It has plastic strap feeds sewn in so you can add side pockets. I have these if I want to go on an over nighter I simpley add them and put my stove, first aid kit, wash kit, fire kit, etc and use the main compartment for clothes and tarps.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
My own choice is a Maxpedition Vulture. Has loads of features and pockets. The only downsides are the price and the exposed zip on top (no snow flap).
http://www.maxpedition.com/product/catalog_backpack.htm

The Sabre sacks seem to be very popular and if your on a budget the Highlander sacks, like the Forces 44 look OK.
http://www.fmtc.co.uk/web_store.php?product=Bags Highlander&referrer_id=froogle&cart_id=

What do you want from your daysack though? e.g.Do you need anchor points for webbing or kit? Will it be for light camping or just for day use? etc.

Matt

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Ive a Sabre30,great bag,great build quality and its just the job for me.Still i just wish it was a little larger but then i guess thats allways the way with these things :)

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I find if i'm using a day pack for traveling/holidays i find a top loading pack pretty akward as you can't always know what your going to need next and end up having to empty the thing out every half hour.

I find a bag that is front loading a bit easier for holidays, but the weight is often a bit harder to distribute nicely.

leon-1

First thing that I would look at is the harness, the pack compartment itself can be great, but if it isn't comfortable to carry, it will soon become the bane of your life.

I also like top loading packs, but would say try to ensure you have a top pocket, I carry some of the things I am more likely to be using in the top of the pack itself. I also like side pockets, they allow me to carry my brew kit, basha , stove and other kit that I may need to be accessed quickly without the requirement to go inside the pack itself (handy when it is pouring down).

It may be worth looking at one of the Swedish Army packs and having a new harness made for one or making it yourself as at least one of the members on here has done. It is a frame pack and not everyone gets on with frames, but they are bigger than you would think. They also cost little in comparison to other packs which means that you don't mind modifying it to take other bits (side pouches and the like).

I hope this is of use:)

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
I've got a sabre 35 and it's great. Good size, it's really comfortable and at a squeeze you can fit in a weekends worth of stuff in or enough for one night. I think the sabre series are great but I've heard that the highlanedr sacks aren't too robust.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
leon-1 said:
First thing that I would look at is the harness, the pack compartment itself can be great, but if it isn't comfortable to carry, it will soon become the bane of your life.
Have to agree with this - personally I like my pack to be held very tight, so I can run comfortably, and it won't shift suddenly when balancing on river crossings. And the amount of sewing it has cost me to achieve this...!

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Whatever daysac you buy simplicity is key, if it's just for the bare essentials in the summer i'd go for 35L, but if you want to use it in the winter 45L is best, don't use the quoted manufFATurer litreage as gospel though most are well off!
With the larger sizes make sure the foam padding in the back is sturdy, may not feel super comfy in the shop but will mould to you with time, same goes for the shoulder straps, fill up a sack which uses a waffer thin, soft foam pad for a back system and your inviting pain and suffering :eek: . Berghaus's munro is the second best piece of kit they do after the Vulcan behemoth :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE