Recommend me some Waterproof Walking Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 8, 2012
lincolnshire
Hi,

I am finding hard to find good waterproof footwear.
I have tried various waterproof walking shoes currently have the Merrell Yokota shoes, and they have been great until I went out tonight. After all this rain we had they just couldn't cope. I do a fair amount of walking with my dogs, about 3 miles is the daily morning and evening walk. Half on paths half on fields. Now drainage isn't great around our village so puddles are very common some quite deep in the fields. I want some boots that will cope with as much wet weather as our lovely english weather can throw at me and be able to walk through as many puddles and water logged fields (obviously not past the height of the boot) without getting wet feet. I also plan on doing a lot more walking next year, several trips to the peak district and the lakes are planned.

I started to look at the Salamon Quest 4D GTX but thought I my get better advice on here.

Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sometimes easier just accepting that the boots/shoes will get wet and wearing sealskinz socks inside to keep your feet warm and dry, instead.
I just have multiple pairs of boots and accept that so long as I keep moving my feet won't freeze. I just dry the boots out carefully, and wear another pair while they do so.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :D

cheers,
Toddy

Nov 8, 2012
lincolnshire
Cheers guys will have a look into them, we don't have many outdoor shops around here and in Lincoln just blacks and Yeomans.
What sort of brands are best know for their waterproofing.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
To be honest, i don't think i've ever had a pair of boots that are fully waterproof, even those with a goretex (other breathable membranes are available) lining. Even good quality leather boots, well treated, will eventually sucomb to water ingress and the more wear they get...
As toddy said, a decent pair of waterproof socks will at least help keep your feet warm and dry.
The only alternative are the lowa boots, with the rubber lowers, but you can then start suffering from damp, sweaty feet, especially in the summer.
My best advice is to buy the most comfortable boots you can afford, a decent pair of waterproof socks and look after them.
Hope this helps

Baggins

swingerek

Sep 23, 2011
eastkilbride
if the bank allows it,meindl burma pro mfs are great had them for a few years now and never let me down.they get me in and out of the canoe no bother all year round.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
http://www.heartlandrural.co.nz/category/111-skellerup-hiker-gumboot.aspx

These are 100% water proof - obviously, they are 100% rubber. And as their name "Hiker" suggests they are a walking boot.

There.... I (or rather Skellerup) have solved the great Kit Debate, and found the Holy Grail of footwear, the perfect boot! Do I win £5? :rolleyes:

Seriously, these are very good boots that deserve recognition. Very popular here, and I got some after the Dog ate my Meindls. Grrrr.

Given that they are rubber they are waterproof, and possibly more importantly don't soak up water and they dry out quickly.

They offer reasonable ankle support - I go up and down some very steep country in mine - but they are not a mountaineering boot.

I think they would be a perfect bushcraft type boot for autumn/winter/spring in UK for a lot of activities. Obviously the drawback is they are not breathable, but to be honest it surprised me how little a problem that actually is. After 4 hours of brisk walking my thick wool socks are a bit damp perhaps, but not exactly wet.

The soles are very grippy esp on wet, round river stone and have good "feel" in them.

I am surprised that it is not something Ray Mears exported from NZ - he highlighted the Swanndri, and then lots of Swazi gear. I reckon they are better and more comfy boots than Rogues which appear to be de rigeur for many bushcrafters.

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
Lundhags Scout boots everytime, waterproof as a waterproof thing with 'W' for WATERPROOF on it's t-shirt. Have worn them all over and have NEVER had wet feet, waterproof them with Lundhags wax and your sorted, as the blurb says as waterproof as wellies but a damn site more comfortable, combine them with Sealskinz socks and your made, plus should you get a 'bootie' they are shell boots so dry out in a decent time period rather than all these high tech waterproof footwear that should they get wet on the inside keep the water in just as well as they keep the water out.
Thats my two peneth anyway

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
my no name leather workboots (steelies) are getting some serious soakings at the moment (doing the ground works for a large workshop as well as general work around the smallholding) and I've been impressed with how good they are at keeping out the wet when they've been given a good application of nikwax aqueous wax.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
The only waterproof boot is a welly !! Leather, goretex, all will leak eventually. For walking the Grubs Stalker is hard to beat. Neoprene welly with a grippy Vibram sole.

http://www.webury.com/store/Grubs_Stalker.html

As the owner of sevaral dogs and a walker along boggy areas, I have to say that the waterproof boots are now rarely, if ever, used for dog walking. This will be cost effective in the end.

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Ive got a pair of mammuts. I forget the model, thrre brown suede outer and gortex inner. They are coming undone at thw front a tad, and have a burn in the tongue. Yet after 18 months of abuse, i can stand in a few inches of water all day and still have dry feet. I thought they were starting to leak a few weeks ago, but it was just very cold water having its impact.

Before that i had similar berghaus. I used they were as good, but didnt last quite aslong. Although i wore them none stop for a year, even to work, and i was a builder then.

In my limited experience, get goretex if you can afford it. Or get waterproof socks like sealskinz etc if you cant. Cheaper boots will be just about drizzle proof at best.

Last edited:

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
Wellies are the way to go. I purchased a pair of Aigles last year for dog walking, they are brilliant have done 8/9 mile walks no issues at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE