Recommend me a folding shovel!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Can anyone recommend me a folding shovel, thats not too expensive? Not too bothered about weight but smallish pack size would be good.

cheers

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
If you type in folding trowel on a well known auction site... they do a SS one for around £6 posted that packs, and weights practically nothing!

TBL.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
im sure i've seen a few folding trowels/entrenching tools at endicotts, perhaps drop kevin a line. I was thinking about getting myself one but im not sure if I could justify the weight!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If you are planning on using it for proper digging, not just for show,
go for a genuine Ex mil entrenching tool - some copies fall to pieces under the slightest pressure.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I agree
I've used both the folding trowel and a cheap folding shovel and both bent in half at the slightest use
I now use a standard British entrenching shovel (small spade) and keep it in the back of the Landy

Best bit of kit ever!

Mark

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
I will not be without my saperka , and no folding bits to go wrong. If the handle brake you make a new one on the spot.

Topknot.

Mang

Settler
I got one for about £8 from Ronnie Sunshines and gave it a pounding most of the day on the Bushcraft base at Gilwell24 Explorer camp (including digging a pit for a stone oven in baked hard ground in the fire circle) and it was fine.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I use a small trowel from B&Q, and for harder ground a thing that looks a bit like a mattock. It's like a small pick-axe but instead of having two tines it has a flat spade-shaped blade on one side. There are some similar things here but nothing quite the same as mine, which came from Anchor Surplus in Ripley. The handle slips out of it to stow in a pack. This is convenient until you get to the security checks at Alexandria airport, where they were convinced that I was packing a GPMG and unceremoniously emptied my entire rucksack onto the floor.

TylerD

Forager
Aug 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
I will not be without my saperka , and no folding bits to go wrong. If the handle brake you make a new one on the spot.

Topknot.

Seconded, they are pretty indestructable! I've had sparks off mine (whilst digging a trench) when it's struck flint, it can also be used as a makeshift frying pan (after being cleaned of course) :)

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
I use a small trowel from B&Q, and for harder ground a thing that looks a bit like a mattock. It's like a small pick-axe but instead of having two tines it has a flat spade-shaped blade on one side. There are some similar things here but nothing quite the same as mine, which came from Anchor Surplus in Ripley. The handle slips out of it to stow in a pack. This is convenient until you get to the security checks at Alexandria airport, where they were convinced that I was packing a GPMG and unceremoniously emptied my entire rucksack onto the floor.
is it an entrenching tool?

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Seconded, they are pretty indestructable! I've had sparks off mine (whilst digging a trench) when it's struck flint, it can also be used as a makeshift frying pan (after being cleaned of course) :)

Hi Neil, It nice to know that you like the Saperka. That one more use for the Saperka .(flint & steel) i'll add to my list

Topknot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE