Mug for Nalgene

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
looking for options.... just purchased an stainless Nalgene bottle and I am looking for ideas for a nesting mug to fit under it, not bothered too much about weight, but I don't like rattles so a good snug fit would be good.

Thanks for any ideas.

Louis

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
The Bushcraft Store and Pathfinder mug both work well. The Bushcraft store mug is slightly better as the bale is attached and the measurement graduations are stamped. Worth looking at a Swiss M71 to go with it for a lightweight brew kit and you can make a nice windbreak from heavy weight foil. Neil from Greencraft on YouTube has a good video on making one.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
The Bushcraft Store and Pathfinder mug both work well. The Bushcraft store mug is slightly better as the bale is attached and the measurement graduations are stamped. Worth looking at a Swiss M71 to go with it for a lightweight brew kit and you can make a nice windbreak from heavy weight foil. Neil from Greencraft on YouTube has a good video on making one.
Thanks. My current set up(s) are 58 pattern bottles and crusader mug US bottle and mug I kind of like the set up. Plenty of pots with bail arms if I need to hang stufff

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If you run out of bought and carried fuel you will be happy about the bail at the mug.

The Bushcraft Store in London sells such a thing in steel, Lixada has a similar one, 750 ml too, if it isn't exactly the same, what you Brits might research better than me, especially as you meet each other from time to time.

Tomshoo and Toaks offer it in a titanium version. It looks otherwise identical.
For boiling water that's OK, but if you intend to cook, a steel version is surely the better idea if weight doesn't matter.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
If you run out of bought and carried fuel you will be happy about the bail at the mug.
Well in the past 30 years it’s not been an issue, I have just put the mug beer the fire to get the same effect rather than needing to suspend it above it.
The Bushcraft Store in London sells such a thing in steel, Lixada has a similar one, 750 ml too, if it isn't exactly the same, what you Brits might research better than me, especially as you meet each other from time to time.
Thanks. That helps loads
Tomshoo and Toaks offer it in a titanium version. It looks otherwise identical.
For boiling water that's OK, but if you intend to cook, a steel version is surely the better idea if weight doesn't matter.
Brilliant. Well done …

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If you don't need the bail, Tatonka offers a slightly higher one, 850 ml or what?

GSI offers lower ones without bail, rather a big cup than a pot. Tatonka too.

A hanging pot over wood fire works much better than a cup that you just put at the side, especially if you want to cook and not just boil water for a tea.

One can do without of course, but it's better to have a bail.
The bail attachment stands out though and it might not fit in every pouch that fits to a Tatonka or GSI mug.

All these mugs are common like your bottle. I guess they all fit well but I don't know that exactly. Because I own just the Toaks mug but no Nalgene bottle of that volume. But you surely can research the fit easily. Who sells the mug usually offers the plastic bottle with it. And you can use the search function of the forum to find some owners of the mugs, if not directly Google will give you an answer. Does every American own a Nalgene bottle or just every third?

Every usual outdoor sports shop that I have seen sold the Nalgene plastic bottles and some of the mugs that I mentioned above. It seems to fit well, everything else would be a big surprise.
I think these mugs are made to fit these bottles. And the red 100g Primus power gas cartridge fits also relatively well, by the way.

Last edited:

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
Is the stainless steel Nalgene bottle the same size as the plastic? I only ask because in researching for a cup for the 500ml plastic version, I ran across an instance where it turned out the narrow mouth and wide mouth models of those were apparently slightly different sizes.

If it is the same size, then the options available are extensive. It might actually help if you did narrow it down a bit!

Reactions: lou1661

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Decathalon have a stainless mug for £4

Or this

But don't know if either fits a SS nalgene, says they fit their 1l SS bottle.

If have store near you with stock, could just go test.

Reactions: lou1661

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The 100g Primus gas cartridge fits exactly upsite down into the Decathlon Quechua 400 ml steel mug, the bottom ring stays outside that you can get it back out, because it has a wider diameter.

That cartridge fits with spare space into the Toaks 750 ml.

I don't expect the Nalgene 1 litre bottle to fit into the Decathlon Quechua 0,4 litres mug!

I have the mug in my summer car camping kitchen bag and drank surely a few quibicmeters of coffee out of it. It's nothing wrong with it. But I would be highly surprised if a Nalgene bottle that I have had often in my hands in a shop, always in the wrong colours, would fit.

The Solognac construction team otherwise thinks usually the things very well through before they release a new product. But they offer an own bottle with this brand new bail mug, that I see here the first time.

Decathlon is a so strong competitor on the international market that they might have decided for an own diameter.

Last edited:

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
I use a snow peak 750ml ti mug which fits a 32oz perfectly. If you have the oasis canteen from nalgene a us canteen cup will fit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE