Recommend me a cordless drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I am a Bosch fan, and have had the same 18v drill and batteries for 15 years, it had the first 2 years of what I would call a trade level of use, the last 13 years has been about 1 hour a week use.

It still looks like new, original batteries are still really good, and have recently added an impact wrench, reciprocating saw and angle grinder to the mix.

Bosch 18v are brilliant and the blue trade has a 3 year warranty

This is a brilliant deal https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gs...coolpack-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/506jf

Or this

Last edited:
Reactions: Van-Wild

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I am a Bosch fan, and have had the same 18v drill and batteries for 15 years, it had the first 2 years of what I would call a trade level of use, the last 13 years has been about 1 hour a week use.

It still looks like new, original batteries are still really good, and have recently added an impact wrench, reciprocating saw and angle grinder to the mix.

Bosch 18v are brilliant and the blue trade has a 3 year warranty

This is a brilliant deal https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gs...coolpack-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/506jf

Or this

That does look a good deal. It's a bit like buying into an SLR camera lens system though; once you have a few tools using the same batteries it's too expensive to switch.

Reactions: FerlasDave and Stew

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
DeWalt 18vdc brushless for me. It always seems to have charge to spare; it’s comparatively lightweight; it has an illuminator LED at the bottom of the handle which shines just where you want it, and I haven’t had anything stop it so far; variable speed and torque. I could go on :)

I do have a mains corded monster Bosch Professional for really big jobs, but I hardly need to get it out these days.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For those occasions I have this beast of a drill :- 99% of the time the cordless does fine.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb653sds-5-9kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-230-240v/6846h

Edit- these drills are fantastic value. I’ve used them to drill and hammer all day to remove fence post concrete etc. I have a more substantial breaker now but I often put the Titan in my car if I’m not sure what I’ll face on a job.
Absolutely agree - we have the slightly larger set of this drill, using it for jobs like chiselling render. Excellent value if heavy

Nov 21, 2012
Kinross
I would spend just a little exta and get - Milwaukee M18 FPD2-302P 18V FUEL Brushless Combi Drill with 2x 3.0Ah Batteries, Charger & Case. From ITS for £275.99 INC VAT.
Also if you pay with PayPal you can pay in 3 monthly payments spread the cost and get a cracking combi-drill.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Not a lot of mentions of Bosch, but I have been very happy with my blue Bosch Professional GSB 18V-Li bought in 2012. Have used it to drill into brick without trouble, but it does not like hard concrete. Also, wasn’t happy to drill 16mm hole through Jarrah railway sleepers. in fairness, both those jobs are calling for a bigger drill and/or mains power.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I also like my DeWalt Combi.
Had it for around 10 years & no issues at all when using quality drill bits & drivers.
It wasn’t cheap initially but it’s earned it’s keep for sure.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
all the suggestions here work.
Even though you're sort or committing when you adopt a platform (I've got a lot of makita stuff, been using it for 35 years) you're not as tied in as you used to be, you can get battery adapters now that work between brands.
61-KD-18kZL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Personally, I think that any of the main brands will do you fine, look to see what's on sale, for £200 you might even get a combi set with a combi and an impact driver, they won't be amazing but they'll do fine for most things, I've one set that's 15 years old and doing fine.
If it's specifically brick and concrete, I'm with those that have said SDS, it makes a difference, there's a 30mm nit in here and on Sat I was going through 9" concrete.
IMG_0905.jpeg

You could pick up a 3.2kg sds drill, 5amp battery etc, that will do 20mm for less than £200 from screwfix and you're very likely to find it cheaper elsewhere. (£190 from B&Q!). 3amp battery is £150ish
582KG_P
This for instance - https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-d...xt-cordless-20mm-rotary-hammer-sds-plus/920xt

£187
990067_540x.jpg

Saying all that, if I was going to use one now and then and i was starting anew, I would be tempted by aldi/lidl offerings if they were cheap enough, but I'd probably wait for a mainstream brand....

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
Definitely try to go with SDS. I remember trying to put up shelving in a house that had the toughest brick construction ever known (Tondu Brick) with a normal hammer drill . Almost ended up crying. Even when we had electricians redoing the wiring they almost walked out because of the three angle grinder blades they went through trying to channel the walls out.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Late to the party but for my 2penneth, as a Tradesman, Electrical then Tiler now multitrade Shopfitter, I love the Erbauer range, I've used Dewalt, Makitta, etc, bang for buck they do the job, I bought the SDS drill and an SDS to normal chuck, put a paddle mixer in there and it'll mix a bucket of powdered adhesive for you, concrete etc, no problem

Reactions: nigelp

R_Fonseca

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2021
Dublin
www.fonseca.ie
My suggestion is if you have any other cordless kit then get that brand so you can swap batteries around.

If you don't then I can recommend the Dewalt drill that Nigelp linked. I bought mine 3+ years ago with 3mah batteries. I've drilled 10mm holes into concrete without it struggling at all and the batteries last ages between charging.

I can see where TeeDee is coming from about the Aldi and Lidl range but that only works if they're on sale at the time you want to buy one. If they're not then you can go several months before they are.
This is why I have a bunch of Ryobi. Just easy to use the same batteries on a lot of different tools. Makes it easy for DIY stuff. When I need a tool I already have the batteries. if I was in a trade I'd go for something more solid though.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We've bought quite a few cordless garden tools after moving into a house with a large garden on a slope. Much needed to try and keep it from becoming a jungle. Unfortunately we bought different brands. Ime get one brand and stick with it.

Don't leave the battery as the one that came with the tool, factor in a higher capacity battery preferably two or more. 2mAh is nothing with a power tool imho.

The other thing is charger. Some brands offer a more premium, fast charger. They're often worth getting.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
BTW as to drills, I got given a black and decker 20 plus years ago, a corded one! Remember them? Decent power despite being small and a hammer option. However, we needed to put screws into the wall to hang pictures in our old house. Due to the stone used it was very hard to drill holes into the wall. Basically one hole equals one new drill bit gone blunt. Even on hammer it was a battle. You had to drill, wait to cool and drill again.

imho if you're planning on drilling into anything that could be difficult then get the best drill option for that. If necessary a second drill for other uses.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Well, if you want to go that route I've got Rawldrills too :D
Very effective on concrete, requires a bit more time & effort than a power drill. They're cordless, but I'm not sure about the battery...

Yes, I have a corded drill but I usually end up needing to use it where there's either no power or it needs to be shut off.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I’m a fan of Ryobi, used them for years, best thing on site few others used them so batteries rarely went walk about. Bonus, all batteries fit all, buy one new today, twenty year old one, same battery fit! A final thing, could be important, the combi drill has plenty of torx, if it’s heavy duty work, has to be SDS.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE