Recommend me a AA possibles torch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Hiya
The last couple of days I've been fancying a new torch to carry whilst out walking in case I'm out longer than planned. I'm after a single AA torch preferably waterproof-about 9cm so it'll fit in my possible pouch.
ive got a budget around £30.
Ive seen the fenix E12...but not quite sure!

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Andy

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
LED Lenser I think it's P2B got the T7 torch huge amount of light. The P2B on flea bay £12.50 ish.

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Wanted to stick to AA so I only need to carry one set of batteries. Was liking the idea of maybe a brass or titanium case but a little out of my budget!

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I got the fenix ld12 at Christmas off the misses.its good little torch.nice,light well built,4 different brightness settings,can't see any reasons so far as too think it won't last me a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I've got a Ring Cyba-lite Rebel LED torch. Takes 2x AA batteries, well made, fairly well sealed and not too expensive. Not sure if the same model is still available, but mine has been 100% reliable, bright and white light. Not too bad on batteries either.

I love my Fenix LD10, and I wear it on my belt all of the time.
The issue to be aware of is that such small flashlights will cut back from high output in fairly short order as they warm up fast. Most of the time, though, you'll be running one on low output so as not to destroy night vision.
I decided to go all AA cells, and I'm happy I did so. I went to the extra mile and got a Powerex charger which can give far more information on cells and their health. That was a good move since I quickly eliminated some older/poorer cells and know exactly what to expect of what I have. If a person gets decent Japanese cells though, runs them down and then recharges a few times, they will then be at marked capacity.

Mike_B

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2009
Perth, Scotland
LED Lensers seem to be decent enough value for money - yes, I know there are some AA torches that will create a "mini sun" but they also burn a significant hole in your pocket!

A few years ago I bought an L5 LED torch - http://www.ledlenser-store.co.uk/torches-c70/l5-led-torch-p932 - but there is an issue in that the on/off is a simple screw down end cap. The problem is that any pressure on it when it's "off" will turn it on, result being a dead battery. This has happened in my pocket, in a pack and even in the car. These days it's only used as an emergency light in the house. There are of course other Lenser torches without this poor design feature.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Just to be awkward nowadays the Lithium ion batteries like the 18650s are that good that I won't be buying anymore AA torches. Ever.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

leon-1

I bought one of these from Amazon for £1.98 delivered a little while ago, for what they are they are reasonably powerful and well built especially at the price. I have had mine for the better part of six months now, it gets a lot of use. The only bad thing with mine is that it just suddenly stops working. I am however using 14500 lithium Ion batteries in it.

Hey good choice I forgot about them even though I have two. Great torch with a spot or flood beam. However they do eat batteries so carry spares.

Yep they do go through batteries pretty rapidly, but at the size, weight, power and cost they are a difficult torch to beat.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
I've got some of the ones Rik suggested - use them a lot for nocturnal dog walks. Always in my pocket so take some abuse. Been going strong for over 12 months of regualr use. Battery life ok, good flood to spot beam. Suggest avoid using rechargable batteries.

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Thanks guys for all the info. I ended up with a "solid brass" AA from a chinese site and also a stainless steel DQG as I couldn't decide which to get! I'll pop some pics up later but really impressed with the cheapo brass at only £8 seemed a bargain :) nearly bought a copper maratac (which I still want) but the wife would of shouted!..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE