Recommend me a cordless drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
For those occasions I have this beast of a drill :- 99% of the time the cordless does fine.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb653sds-5-9kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-230-240v/6846h

Edit- these drills are fantastic value. I’ve used them to drill and hammer all day to remove fence post concrete etc. I have a more substantial breaker now but I often put the Titan in my car if I’m not sure what I’ll face on a job.
So I went for the Screwfix one here. Thanks for all the advice and examples. Like many nowadays I'm not so flush with the dollars so this was well within budget, and considering that I won't be using it heavily every single day, I think it'll be adequate. Down side is its not cordless, but I have access to a small generator (7Kw) so I can work round it.

Although a lot of examples did leave me drooling and my finger hovered over the 'buy it' button many times!

First job is putting up a timber awning structure on the side of a house....

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
So I went for the Screwfix one here. Thanks for all the advice and examples. Like many nowadays I'm not so flush with the dollars so this was well within budget, and considering that I won't be using it heavily every single day, I think it'll be adequate. Down side is its not cordless, but I have access to a small generator (7Kw) so I can work round it.

Although a lot of examples did leave me drooling and my finger hovered over the 'buy it' button many times!

With the money you've saved get an SDS to standard chuck converter - definitelty worth having.

I use a BIG Makita SDS mains powered drill for the really heavy stuff and run it off my 800W portable generator. That combination worked well for the heavier tasks building the shepherd's hut down in the wood.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
With the money you've saved get an SDS to standard chuck converter - definitelty worth having.

I use a BIG Makita SDS mains powered drill for the really heavy stuff and run it off my 800W portable generator. That combination worked well for the heavier tasks building the shepherd's hut down in the wood.
I'll have to Google that Broch, thanks for the tip. I love your cabin by the way. And your wood. I was so close to owning my own little wood within a much bigger ancient woodland three years ago but I just couldn't convince my wife..... a missed opportunity but there we go, one door closes and another door opens I guess.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I bought a Skil 3/8" variable speed, reversing, plug-in drill back in 1975. Has been a wonderful workhorse ever since. But there have been times when I need just a little hole or poke at something. The Skil is downstairs in my work shop

So maybe 15 years ago, I bought a cordless Makita 6722D. It's a cylinder in profile, 45 degree bendable neck, reversing, little LED light, 220 rpm @ 4.8VDC.
Extra set of drill bits and screw sockets. What a convenience upstairs. Most satisfactory.

If I needed to work far away from the grid, I'd buy a big, fat, modern DeWalt cordless drill and a spare battery. My neighbor is a journeyman carpenter. He uses all sorts of battery powered DeWalt tools with no complaints.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
For those occasions I have this beast of a drill :- 99% of the time the cordless does fine.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb653sds-5-9kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-230-240v/6846h

Edit- these drills are fantastic value. I’ve used them to drill and hammer all day to remove fence post concrete etc. I have a more substantial breaker now but I often put the Titan in my car if I’m not sure what I’ll face on a job.
I have one of these to, and for the money it superb

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon

I've got the same beast.
As far as cordless, I'd have recommended the DeWalt in the second post, I have a Makita but a Polish carpenter mate of mine who makes it his business to know everything there is to know about anything swore blind on that when my Father in law was looking....or at least if my memory serves me well he did..

The Titan SDS however is a solid bit of kit, I've had mine for a few years now, still my trusty beast when I need something heavy duty doing. Of course it is heavy, but having hired a few SDS drills over the years, I'm yet to find one that doesn't weigh the same as a baby elephant

Reactions: British Red

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
I use cordless tools a lot so here are my thoughts

1) Don't buy rubbish. DeWalt, Makita or Milwaukee - nothing else

2) Get brushless motors where possible - they last longer

3) Concrete drilling is hard. Combi drills can do it occasionally but it's a big ask. Combi drills can do brick easily

4)Combi drills are lighter, cheaper and smaller than brutal SDS drills which are better for concrete

5) SDS drills cannot be used as screwdrivers - combi drills can

If you want an SDS, this is my choice

I second this good advice , I work in the trade and a brush less Makita combi is what I have for home and a hilti SDS for work

Reactions: British Red

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
I recently bought a De Walt brushless combi Drill

It is a good bit of kit but the lowest torque setting is much too high. I have been assembling kitchen units and on the lowest setting it strips chipboard every time. Had to dig out my old Ryobi with the wobbly chuck bearings.

On the plus side the chuck does tighten down much better than anything I have had before - but you have to do it by hand - tighten the chuck by running the drill results in instant friction burns. 5Ah Lithium battery lasts for ever.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE